Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Found another one · 1933 Ford Tudor race car!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chaddilac, Feb 2, 2022.

1. chaddilac

chaddilac

Couldn't help it... I found this one and had to save it.

Had an extra frame and wheels in the stash and had to see what it would look like.

Check the video out!

tempImageUgkRhd.png
    tempImage2Xv9zY.png
    IMG_9738.JPG IMG_9739.JPG IMG_9740.JPG IMG_9741.JPG

2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just too cool.. what was the other upside down body about 30 feet behind the sedan ?

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

Early 30s chevy sedan I think, Hard to remember I think he said he was going to restore it.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That's a piece of Americana, if there is one !

6. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

It has an attitude just sitting there. I wonder how many checkered flags the old girl has seen?

7. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Been on that save-em-route several times, as near as just across the road, & 200 miles on the road !

Stogy, loudbang and chaddilac like this.
  8. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

That's cool. Would like to find an old racecar like that and get it running again. My dad used to race the old jalopys. So far no luck finding one. Gonna keep looking.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
  9. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

Copy of jalopy 1956-b.jpg
    that reminds me of my Dad's race car from1956 that ran at Carpenteria, Ca. Thunder Bowl.

perk03, Okie Pete, 1929rats and 16 others like this.
  10. chaddilac

chaddilac

OH EM GEE!!!!!

That is freakin awesome!! Thanks for posting that pic!!!

11. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

" Everything old, is new again "
    Cool score indeed, thanks for saving another, great piece of metal that deserves to live again !

Stogy, loudbang and chaddilac like this.
  12. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sadly, just another gutted, clapped out example of what those "circle track guys" contributed to our hobby:mad::(.

SS327, WalkerMD and hemihotrod66 like this.
  13. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

your welcome.

loudbang and chaddilac like this.
  14. chaddilac

chaddilac

Do you complain about salvage yard owners too? LOL!!!

15. The number 116 car--Don Heiliger--look at the seat position. A back seat driver! Car appears to have been a 4 door.

16. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like junkyard owners (except the habitual car crusher ones).;) They not only provided a place to store the cars we love, but when they did happen to cut up an old car, it was to make a living...and feed their families (a noble cause).
    The stock car guys on the other hand, cut up the cars we love just to have FUN, leaving our hobby with gutted-out hulks that take 100's of hours and 1000's of dollar just to make them somewhat useable again.
    You should know this better than anyone...can you say the circle track guys made your coupe body, and now your sedan body, better for hot rodding...or worse?:mad:

Rant over:eek:;)

CrazyDaddy, SS327, WalkerMD and 2 others like this.
  17. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

Going around in dirt (or paved) circles has helped feed some families as well. My hobbies include both old cars and stock car racing. I'm sure that in 50 years, there will be some old grouchy guys bitching about how I ruined several mid 70's cars.
    Maybe you think your hobby is more valuable than mine?

ottoman, Maicobreako, MMM1693 and 2 others like this.
  18. gene-koning

gene-koning

I always thought the purpose of owning an old car was to have fun with it.
    Having been the owner of a lot of cars converted to dirt track cars, I sure enjoyed it. Most of the cars I destroyed came out of junk yards, or from hidden places they were drug out of site to. None would have been here today.

I knew several older then me guys that used the race the old coupes and sedans on the dirt track that was local to us. Most of those guys used cars that were sitting behind barns that were no longer being used. Back then, you had to pay the junk yards to take old cars, so the people without money parked them out of the way, and often out of site. The guys racing would come by and would pay for the car bodies they were racing, or would haul them away for free. The odds were, none , or at least very few, would have still been around had the racers not have bought them, or hauled them away. Those cars you are crying about all the work to restore probably would have been rotted into the ground long before you had a chance to "save" them. Most of those guys did not run out and get the nicest cars they could find to chop up for race cars, I suppose a few may have, but they would have been the minority of the racers.

For the most part, the racers probably preserved those cars, allowing them to still be around for you to restore. Rant off! Gene

19. Ringleader

Ringleader
    Alliance Vendor

My latest ex race car... Bought with no known history (bought from estate). Going to get going on it (running driving etc... "street legal"????) sometime this spring.....

Attached Files:

20. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Lot of good cars went to circle tracks over the years but it goes back to they own it and it is their money to do with as they wish.....I remember back in the 50's my cousin bought a 32 three window from an old couple,,,Brought it home torched off the fenders made a couple of laps and ended up over the wall... Car destroyed.... No one really cared about them that much...

21. chaddilac

chaddilac

Oh man that's cool!!! post some more pics!

loudbang, Stogy and Ringleader like this.
  22. Ringleader

Ringleader
    Alliance Vendor

In storage about 3hrs from where I live currently (storing at my dad's shop) this winter... I'll do a build/ resurrection on here once I get it back up here and start playing with it....

23. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

While the preservationist side of me agrees with you... I have to wonder which one of the many facets of automobilia I would have chosen had I actually "been there"? I know that seeing circle track racing in the early '70's inspired my love of '55-7 Chevvys. Although I have a perfectionist streak it's not wide enough that I would have become a "show car" guy. I do admit a strong preservationist streak...so would I have been among the restorer crowd that started around the same time as rodding? Nah I love the concept of building speed and power into an otherwise gutless or simplistic design but since I (hate to admit) have never raced anything ever I should acknowledge that I might have been the same back then. Do I like an adrenalin rush? absolutely! So I definitely would have dabbled, watched or maybe been a mechanic at the those races!
    The context has been mutated over the years due to what I call the "fantasy factor" as has the value of said Fords. Look at anything that fires the imagination (Art etc.) and shortly thereafter it becomes more valuable in the eyes of the fantasy holder... these things snowball over time til you have Deuces near equal in value to a Cord or a Deusenberg! I've said it before...in the 1950's a '32 Ford was a bargain brand cheap BEATER! The market value is only in the sentiment of people who lived it and the cream & dream of people who really have a narrow idealised view of what life was like back then...As Hambers we all can see that thing slinging mud and crashing and bashing around the track... what makes us differnt is that instead of seeing it as a '96 Caprice with a bright red '34 body stuck on it...we see it back to it's former race glory or 1950-'65 Hot Rod form (if it was one) not a restoration piece. Rant on!

Shadow Creek and chaddilac like this.
  24. spanners

spanners

Wasn't it because of roundy roundy speedway that the development of quick change diffs occurred?
    I used to work with a bloke in the early 2000s who had several 1970's Australian Valiant Chargers and sold one of them for $110,000 back in 2002. In his younger days he cutting the roofs off, barred them out and went speedway racing. Yes, he wished he'd realized how they would be collectable one day but in his young and silly days it was all about having fun.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  25. gene-koning

gene-koning

I suppose it all about our perspective.

Lets bring this into perspective. We love these old cars. There were circle tracks all across the country since the turn of 1900 and more then 2 cars raced. Many people fell in love with the old cars because of what we saw on a regular basis in our younger years, something that caught our attention, or sparks a great memory. There were not many 20s, or 30s, or even 40s cars running around on the streets in our town back in the mid 60s and early 70s, a time that was critical to my development as a car nut, but there was a lot of the late 20s up to mid 40s cars running around on our local dirt track. The image of those cars coming off the 4th turn getting that green flag and entering that number 1 turn is forever etched in my mind, I can see them as I type this! It is the one defining thing that got me into the car hobby.

Had I lived someplace where seeing those late 20s through mid 40s car running around on the street on a regulator basis, I probably would have had the perspective of the hot rods of the same time, or if I had grown up with the car show background, that would have been what my perspective would have been drawn from. My son is drawn to the car shows and dirt track races I drug him to in the mid-late 80s

Other then the imprinted image of those early dirt track coupes, the performance car era was what I lived through in my teen years, and I lived it pretty hard until the performance car restoration crowd drove me out of it. My mind brought me back to the image in my head coupled with the experiences from my teen years, an era I never personally experienced but was a documented time frame just past the HAMB era.

I don't get the restored back to original thing, but I do understand the restore to a previous time frame concept. I also understand that just because I don't get the restore back to original thing, if you do, and I can respect that. I've seen way too many people that think their memories or visions are the only thing that matters. They try to divide every car related thing into something that fits according to their visions, and they just try to suck the life out of everything else. For those people, just because you may not like something, don't rain on other peoples parade, get over yourself. Gene

26. Subscribed. Try and find out as much of the car's history as possible. Maybe the driver or the family is still around? Be cool to have "win" or any other pictures to help put it back to its glory years.

Nailhead A-V8, chaddilac and loudbang like this.
  27. hipojoe

hipojoe

Most of these clapped out race cars were just junk, that was waiting for the crusher. I myself have an affinity to bring back old cars that were kicked to the curb, both for my racing and street cars. If you think it thru a little further it is a win, win, win for all involved. Money spent to help junk yard owners family... Money spent to help out MANY familys bottom line, like tire stores, auto parts employees familys, gas stations, race track employees and the list goes on and on. NO down side here... Give em all a little lovin!

hotrodjack33 and chaddilac like this.
  28. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

Oklahoma, Nebraska and southern Iowa were full of these old jalopy racers about 20-25 years ago. A good friend of mine and builder went on a jalopy racer hunt about 20 years ago with just Cash and his truck & trailer and some homemade flyers. He would stop in all the small towns and start asking random people if they knew any old racers. Throughout his 2 weeks travel he found and bought seven 33-34 coupes two of them were 3 windows. He also bought a 32 Plymouth coupe and most of a 32 3 window ford coupe. He was also responsible for finding some very famous old race cars that "Speedy Bill" bought for his muesum and had John Layne Restore.

loudbang and chaddilac like this.
  29. dwollam

dwollam

If every old original car that was ever built was still around they wouldn't be worth much would they!? Race cars and wrecked cars provided parts for the daily drivers. Think of all those fenders and interiors etc that got removed. Hey, just like real life some things die so others can live.

Racing of all sorts improves what we drive every day and always has. It also inspired out hot rods.

Dave