Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Oh damn you Summit and your free shipping over 100$. !!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Budget36, Feb 2, 2022.

1. Budget36

Budget36

So true. Years back I could find just about anything within a 1/2 drive. For this stuff it’s a trip into town to order it and another to pick it up.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  2. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

We are lucky and have a couple of parts places with real parts men behind the counter, just don't stop at the corporate ones, they just don't get it! I always try to round up mail orders for free shipping, sometimes it just not possible, then I just bite the bullet.

Boneyard51 and Budget36 like this.
  3. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

We have a decent parts supplier here in town I've been dealing with the same people for 25 plus years. Different locations but the people are the same. Knowing the odd and old parts I'm looking for aren't going to be on the shelves I call and have them get them in to save a trip. Usually what I need is only a couple days away. They closed one or two locations and moved the good parts guys to the larger location. I also use ACE and if they don't have it they will order it for ya. A newer NAPA opened within the last year not too far away only used them a couple time for OT vehicle parts. Seemed O.K. With SUMMIT I have a wish list with things I may want and don't necessarily need to fill my free shipping order. If that don't work I call a couple buddies see if they need anything to get the free shipping. Joe

mad mikey, Boneyard51 and Budget36 like this.
  4. Lots of great comments on this thread & I kind of chuckled, when I thought about it because technically I am in the shipping (transporting) business:D. I can't bitch about it!

I also buy something small to get me over the "free shipping" threshold, but with me it is usually easy since I am building 3-4 cars at the same time, so there is always something. As far as the Amazon or Walmart deal....That is always easy, I can add a bag of dog cookies or something to get over it.

Back when i had time, I loved to go to Summit & shop, but honestly I would spend a crap load more while I was there than if I ordered online.

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
  5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That’s exactly why I just order it from my house! Too many times I have driven into town, go to a parts house, or supply house and find out they have to order it and I have to pay shipping and city tax and wait two weeks! I can order it on line, cheaper, sometimes 1/2 the price, get it quicker, and pay less taxes!
    The job of a retailer is to have it in stock! The retailer is not doing their job and haven’t been for years! If they didn’t sell four of the items every week , they didn’t stock it! Back in the day we just had to take it…..like or lump it! But now there’s a new sherif in town! It’s called the internet and we can now order parts ourself!
    The retailers did it to theirselves! Any way that’s how it was or is in my town!
    Rant over! Lol:D

Bones

tjm73, Truckdoctor Andy and Budget36 like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

when I do buy car parts locally, I call ahead if it's a real parts store, or look online if it's a chain, and see if they have it in stock. usually they don't. But they can all get stuff overnight, if it's a relatively common part, from a warehouse in state, and no shipping charge.

but the uncommon stuff that they have to order from far away...I get those parts somewhere else.

Lil32, Turnipseed and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. hepme

hepme

When me and my pet dinosaur needed parts eons ago, all we had was the local parts store and junkyards. In a yard, you learn real quick how to spot "something that'll work" and then argue the price-fun like an enema. Nothing else existed, maybe J.C. Whitney catalog. Now you sit at this box, look it up, find the exact thing, and it'll ship to you--if you're willing to pay the price. I don't like it either, but compared to the past its not bad at all. Now you can hardly get into a yard, insurance etc. Welcome to 2022.

8. McMaster-Carr has all the weird stuff that you just can't find at the superstores or even the local fastener suppliers. I've always found their quality to be first-class also. Not always the cheapest, but if you end up buying from multiple sources and pay individual shipping it's always been a wash for me.

9. spanners

spanners

I have an hour drive each way to shop at a decent hardware store. Even driving the late model diesel ute it will go through $40 of juice. Why wouldn't I spend $20 for postage instead.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  10. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Bunnings in Wagga?

11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Napa I go to is also the main warehouse and the guys there will look through old parts books for what I need. Don't know why as I'm a nobody but I certainly appreciate it.

2afbs, mad mikey and Johnny Gee like this.
  12. spanners

spanners

You got it Harv.

13. I've been lucky over the years to have GOOD NAPA stores near me, complete with competent counter people (men and women) and PARTS BOOKS to augment their tv screens. I shop there because:
    1) I am a tactile person,,, I like to hold, fondle and look at the parts I'm buying. It's a lot easier to figure out if a part will fit when I can compare old and new, side by side.
    2) I want to help insure these guys are in business for a while... I'm greedy that way.
    3) Returns are easy and immediate.
    It may cost a little more in the long run, but at least I'm keeping as much of my money as possible in local pockets.

14. Big part for me is I need a few, but do I really need 100........then I realize, yes I do :).

I find myself going there for will call (even on SUNDAY!!), then hitting El Taco or Crimson Coward.

Support your local businesses or they'll go away..........mine have (I tried).

Bill's Auto Works and Johnny Gee like this.
  15. kvwberg

kvwberg

I can't remember the last thing I did to my car that didn't't cost over a $100

16. No disrespect but, What’s free shipping on car parts, you guys don’t know how good you have it.

HotRod33, rdscotty, Baumi and 5 others like this.
  17. Budget36

Budget36

Well, I have to “un-damn” Summit. I checked my email and got the “will notify when it ships” thing. For some reason I clicked on it and went to my order, I must have had a dyslexic moment when I purchased the stuff. I could have sworn they were shipping on 2/3/22, but “estimated to ship 3/30/2022. Cancelled it.
    Probably should have waited and just gone into NAPA later today, the online website lists them but “unavailable to ship, see local store” wound up going through Robert’s Motor Parts.
    Wound up be the same as Summit, even with a 25 dollar shipping because they didn’t charge sales tax. Was odd I thought.
    Anyways, means I have a few days to work slow and touch up the seats and lap 10 valves in;).

18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

15 minute drive for me. :)

19. squirrel

squirrel

either two days or overnight for McM down here in the boonies. But my son who lives in Chandler gets things right away.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  20. 60 Special

60 Special
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

I order my hardware through boltdepot.com

21. squirrel

squirrel

I need special stuff that they don't have...

Johnny Gee likes this.
  22. Budget36

Budget36

Because you’re special;)

I usually need an offset bolt for two misaligned holes…

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  23. 60 Special

60 Special
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

I understand, I order through McMaster-Carr too. In about 24 years I have only been unsuccessful a few times!

24. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Pacific Fasteners has a good range...
    bolts, special order.jpeg

Cheers,
    Harv

HotRod33, twenty8, RMR&C and 8 others like this.
  25. Budget36

Budget36

427 sleeper likes this.
  26. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use the $100 minimum all the time either looking at stuff (tools) or wait until I do. I also take the time whether calling or not to get ever part from Reno because it next day delivery

27. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I usually end up accessorizing my wardrobe :p

Budget36 likes this.
  28. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I’m from the U.K. but I worked in the Gulf of Mexico for years. Popped into an Auto Zone in Galveston to buy some generic SBC parts, gaskets, plugs, water pump etc. Girl behind the counter asked ‘model and year, sir?’. I was stumped, :eek: My T bucket bore no relationship to any production car.

My American buddy stepped in and rolled off the dates and names of some common Corvette model, and the girl breathed a sigh of relief and got me the parts.

29. Top row, 3rd from left, the cone shaped head...Germans used these (blank, no socket in the head) on tanks in WWII.

30. A quick Google didn't bring anything up, but you'll see some in this: