Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Ode to Gray Baskerville 20 years later

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by denis4x4, Feb 1, 2022.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Ganahl was a outdoor travel Editor for Sunset Magazine, didn't know that about Gray.

chryslerfan55 and Hamtown Al like this.
  2. cfmvw

cfmvw

I vaguely remember there was a story about that primered fender; I think he was turned away from a car show because of it, and he refused to paint it because of that incident. Hopefully somebody can fill in the details here.

Gray had a wonderful way of writing the stories about the cars he covered; you could tell that he was having a lot of fun doing what he was doing!

3. redo32

redo32

Primer is a no-go at LA Fathers Day show, that's where the story originated.

4. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I pulled up next to him 20+ years ago at a stop light in Mira mesa , North San Diego . I was driving my 64 Nova SS with a rowdy sbc and 4spd , he was driving some late model white convertible camaro with Hot Rod magazine decals on the doors. We both looked at each other and I thought holy shit thats Baskerville! I was too stupid to say anything , the light turned and we drove away...I recall he was smiling in approval. I wish I would have said " Hey Gray you wanna run that POS?:D

Thor1, jim snow, scotty t and 4 others like this.
  5. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

In my shop in Vegas around '09. My yellow '34 in the background.

149-4918_IMG.JPG 149-4919_IMG.JPG 149-4922_IMG.JPG

Jalopy Joker, Thor1, oldsjoe and 10 others like this.
  6. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Gray's family owned " Motorcycle" magazine, though since his close friend, and the Deuces' builder, Paul Horning was killed on one, I don't think Gray was a bike fan afterwards. He was one of those folks, you just KNEW him THRU his words. I gotta add, him and Roth also were enthused in the kids in their Honda's and low riders as much as keeping traditional rodding alive. His philosophy of giving a early model a "Shave and a haircut!"Still Sooo Bitchin'!

Thor1, catdad49, jim snow and 4 others like this.
  7. Boatmark

Boatmark

Great tribute.

I think there are certain writers that just reach the reader differently. Not sure I can describe why, but they are the one you always read first.

Baskerville, Pat Ganahl, and Peter Egan always seemed to get it. At least to me.

8. aircap

aircap

I loved meeting Yer Old Dad at the drivers meeting during the 1998 Speedweeks. I just turned around and there he was in flip-flops and a red shirt. "Hey, Baskerville - love your writing!". He flashed his crazy smile and, "Are ya having a bitchin time?"....

Thor1, catdad49, jim snow and 2 others like this.
  9. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Great tribute article. Why the hate on Diana? Back in the late 60's/early 70's when I was a kid reading Hot Rod, I appreciated his technical writing. I felt like I learned from him.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Finn Jensen and Just Gary like this.
  11. If you do a search here you may find the gory details. He passed leaving more than one HAMBer money and a lotta burned bridges.

lurker mick, WiredSpider and jim snow like this.
  12. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

13. I believe a family member (Mother or Mother in law?) backed into the roadster and damaged the front fender. HRP

cfmvw likes this.
  14. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

As is too often the case, there is a lot of misinformation included here. I'm tempted to say that in Gray's case, the myth is part of the man--and now that he's gone, the legend. But to be truly honest, in Gray's case, (and I speak from long experience), the truth is even better than the myths or the legend. Other than--no, equal to--Tom Medley and E. Rick Mann, Gray Baskerville was the best thing Petersen Publishing had going for it. Certainly for Hot Rod and Rod & Custom. Knowing and working with him and next to him certainly enriched my life. I've written facts about him on several occasions. Way too much to even begin to tell here. If you really want to know, do some digging.
    Adeeos. P.G.

15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I enjoyed Gray's writings, as the words he used, always amused. Back in '86 I was racing at the Nostalgia Nationals @ Fremont. That was the event, where P-Wood and his friends, surprised him with the copy of his old Altered Roadster, a joyful event. When the race season was over, he wrote a recap of the year in Hot Rod, and to my delight, he included a little about our team. About 10 years later, I was starting on some Track Roadsters (a class of racing he loved) and he graciously gave us some promotion in Rod and Custom. When I finally met him in person, at the 50th GNRS, he was in an unhappy mood, as he had entered his Deuce Roadster, and got turned away at the door, due to the primer spots ! He was clearly one of a kind. Baskerville 1.jpeg

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

17. Now I see where David Freiburger got his style with the flip flops. What a great article.

Pass The Torch likes this.
  18. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

I had the honor of knowing him . Great guy.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    micksmith, cfmvw and Tman like this.
  19. jim snow

jim snow

pprather likes this.
  20. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Great story thanks for sharing.

21. indyjps

indyjps

Freiburger talks a lot about his time with Gray, when he hired in, and that the flip flop habit has links to Gray. Mostly on roadkill extras, but seems to have been able to climb the ladder and still work on his own terms.
    I subscribed to hot rod and car craft in '86 as a 10 yr old with my own money. Always enjoyed what Gray wrote.

pprather and Fordors like this.
  22. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

Great Story! Thanks for sharing!