Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Radiator model A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sickiee32, Feb 1, 2022.

1. sickiee32

sickiee32
    from So Cal

Does anyone know off hand I have a model A frame and body w a 32 grill . What does the radiator need to be chopped to?? Who sells them .... and anyone sell the correct fit for a Y-Block ford

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

28/29 or 30/31? Contact Lee at Brassworks. He can make exactly what you need. It won't be cheap and it will take a while BUT it will fit and be top notch quality.
    https://thebrassworks.net/
    (805) 239-2501

3. sickiee32

sickiee32
    from So Cal

yeah there pricey , there my last ditch effort lol

4. Call Brice Thomas

5. tj

tj

Jason Dillon, Dillon Radiator In Minnesota.

6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

i ran a Superior 3" chopped radiator in my '30 on '32 rails... couldn't find a 2" chop...
    the frame rails raise about 1.5" from the firewall forward toward the grill...
    had to trim the grill sides for the shell to sit right...

dana barlow likes this.
  7. Look at Champion. They have several units for 32's. I just received there radiator yesterday, 25 1/2 inches in height which will allow my hood to look correct. The Walker I had was 26 7/8 and elevated the hood. Is your body mounted on the frame where you can get a measurement?

dana barlow likes this.
  8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I'm not using a 32 shell,but this may help;;
    First time for me back in late 1958,I needed a radiator for my 28 Model A hotrod,powered by Thunderbird Y-block, I was building over about 3 years{ did get it finally running by 1959 an then drove to high school} still have it !.
    I had a local radiator shop do it way back ;@ South Miami Radiator. The guy there did a great job Brass/copper fitting up a custom fit too my 3in. chopped "A" shell. He used two cores back to back too fit ,some type of small car cores, with the modified stock "A" top tank for out lets a 16lbs PSI.
    It lasted near 40 years{ with the same guy doing a repare a few times].
    The new replacement I got over 10 years ago.
    I'm using now is alum Champion*,not custom order, but they list the size height n wide,just one they make in there catalog for "T-buckets/w/V8 Ford out lets"* was close enough. At the time those were on sale with shipping @ $ 150 at the time.. I did need to bend ,trim n cut the a little the alum mount tabs, so I could bolt the 28 shell.

It's been working well,only prob I've had was my own fail to put make a new fan shroud right a way { old an lazy me},so got hot in stop n go traffic.
    Did make a shroud,frankly it took me too long,butt not a teen anymore ether.
    So point is you don't have too have a high $$$$ perfect fit;;=T-bucket Rad size for T-shell ,I though would be too small? But after looking a sizes given in catalog. Happen to be right hight for my 3in. chopped 28"A" shell,but only 1in. less then ideal wide!= That is only 1/2in. each side anyway for the "A" shell, my stone SS guard covers covers the small air gap that could barely be seen at all, if light was just right/an after adding the new shroud,looks great I think. So hunting size vs for 32 shell,may save some $ an cool well too ! Some pics below before I added new fan shroud.
    Hope that helps with ideas. 002 (4).JPG frontendShot.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
  9. 5window

5window

Dana's got great ideas. Also, you don't want to put on a CHEAP radiator to protect your major investment in your motor. not the right place to cut corners.

dana barlow likes this.
  10. Willywash

Willywash

Check out Ebay. They have chopped radiators made for A models. Yes! Made in China, but for under $200 they are very well made. I also got a 32 grill shell for under $200...New with stainless steel grill. You'll have to cut the bottom sides of grill shell, if your car has been channeled.

sloppy jalopies and dana barlow like this.
  11. Jimmy

Jimmy

For a '28-'29 the Bishop/Tardel book says the '32 shell needs to be 1 3/4" lower to line up with the cowl. Most folks trim the sides so the shell can just slide down to line up. For a '30-'31 the height is fine as-is. My advice regarding radiators is to buy the best quality you can find and tell the manufacturer that you are going to fit a '32 radiator shell so they can get the brackets right.

5window likes this.
  12. sickiee32

sickiee32
    from So Cal

I want to make sure I can still run a hood if needed .

my body sits on frame , no channel

Walden speed shop model A frame

dana barlow likes this.
  13. 31Apickup

31Apickup

On my 31coupe on 32 frame, the body has a 3/4” mini channel, I went with a 2” chopped radiator from Brassworks and it is perfect with 32 shell. A stock height even without channel will be too tall.

dana barlow likes this.