Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dashboard vintage look knobs

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jeff020571, Feb 1, 2022.

1. jeff020571

jeff020571
    from france

Hello,
    Looking for some traditional dashboard knobs to use on my modelA.
    Dont want to use billet or aluminium one's.
    i can't find what suits me on the net.
    Does anyone have a good place to purchase nice vintage look knobs ?
    Thanks

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
    dana barlow likes this.
  2. chaddilac

chaddilac

I bought some pretty cool guitar knobs sever years ago, they were chrome with white pearl insert. they looked pretty killer.

3. Yeah, just do a Google search for Guitar knobs, thousands of cool ideas come up! Including the pearl insert ones.

4. It might surprise you as to whats is available at your local hardware store, they usually have a wide assortment of simple stainless knobs that can be adapted to be used on the dash. HRP

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or even some fancy drawer knobs from the home supply store.
    Or whittle your own.

hrm2k and dana barlow like this.
  6. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

7. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

The "street roddy" aluminum knobs can be reshaped. Great if you have a lathe, but a drill press, or even a hand drill will work.

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depending on the car--On early Fords I use factory type knobs and modify as needed-many styles and colors to chose from. If they have C or T or something on the end, polish it off to smooth.

9. Laminated "Tear Drop" knobs if you want to go traditional. Mooneyes and others sell them...
    06-13_Hirohata-Merc_Casey-Maxon_HVA_1.jpg

10. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-2-1_10-12-33.png
    Kimpton Goodland Resort in Goleta,CA

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...hift-knob-thread.1211107/page-6#post-13828766

Hello,

Prior to the pandemic crisis all over the world, my wife and I were in Santa Barbara for a nice relaxing vacation. The area is ripe for cool hot rods, old car history, some of the most beautiful beaches and blue ocean views around. We never get tired of coming up here for a stay to get revitalized from the hectic days/nights of retirement.

While we were having dinner street side on State Street, (main drag from the ocean to miles inland) a cool station wagon drove by going toward the downtown area. Thinking nothing of it, we continued our dinner and then walking to see some sights.

Much later, back at our cool resort hotel, (So Cal beach style vibe, Kimpton Goodland in Goleta…was the same hotel we stayed back in 1966 on one of our coastal road trips, a Holiday Inn back then) she said she saw a cool station wagon in the parking lot. It may have been the one going down state street while we were having dinner. So, I went to check it out. Yes, it was the same cool Comet Station Wagon with a lot of old time custom accessories.
    upload_2022-2-1_10-19-4.jpeg

Jnaki

Right after we got back home, I looked up and found the website for a custom accessory business.
    https://www.numnob.com/

We did not get a chance to talk to the owners at the resort, but their website plus social media presence is fun to look at and read. The availability of any style knob is for individual customers to keep with the old style 50s accessories is their business.

When we were in Junior High School, our Crafts Shop/ Jewelry Teacher was a hot rod/custom guy. He showed us how to make those knobs for class projects and had the machinery to finish each one. That is how schools should still be, a fun place to learn.

Jnaki

Check out his custom applications and perhaps he can make some custom ones for your build. No, I don't work for his company or do I get a commission, although, a commission might be something... Ha! YRMV

upload_2022-2-1_10-24-11.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  11. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I remember correctly mine are Ebay knobs as well. Bought some of this stuff a while ago so tough to recall!

20170711_091013.jpg

12. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look at old radio knobs for some cool ones. Normally bakelite and often have pleasing art deco designs depending on the era of the radio, and as a bonus are usually already equipped with a set screw... Lots on eBay.

Joe Blow and Rickybop like this.
  13. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I got some assorted 30's 4o's door handles that were very pitted. Using the knobs off the door handles.

RMR&C, hrm2k and olscrounger like this.
  14. There are some nicely shaped billet knobs available. Powder coating is available.... Just sayin'.

15. i.rant likes this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used the polished 40 style knobs from SoCal. I don't like the flat one on the right, it is the choke lever and used to say edelbrock until I sanded/polished it off.
    upload_2022-2-1_14-7-49.png

17. grdra1

grdra1

I modified and painted some ebay alloy knobs. Glen P1010081.JPG P1010084.JPG P1010092.JPG

18. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like your dash Billy! Am struggling with what to put on for a choke knob. Luckily I have one extra non used switch on the panel which I may rob the knob from!

19. Mimilan

Mimilan

20. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

MMM1693 likes this.
  21. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Have you looked at Chevs of the 40s?

22. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

i could not keep any '49-'50 ford car dash knobs , buddies wanted every one i got...
    they are like a 1" die-cast ball, chromed, set screws, somebody must re-pop knobs for those cars, if you can't find them here...

23. 52lomofo

52lomofo

Try welder series

24. There are LOTS of reproduction dash knobs with cool (traditional:cool: ) labeled bezels.
    '55 Chevy, Chevy II, M*st*ng, '50 Ford, etc...
    66-67 nova bezels 01.jpg 50 ford.jpg 55 chevy.jpg 64 mustang.jpg 66 nova ign switch.jpg

Joe Blow likes this.
  25. @Bandit Billy , tell me about the shift knob on your rod, above.
    Thanks.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  26. Shawn Wildman

Shawn Wildman

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
  27. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Used nickel plated brass boat/marine knobs.
    DSC01127.JPG
    DSC01322.JPG

28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some 50’s cars have pretty neat knobs and are being repoped. I like the stock look of a knob off a dash that’s not original to the car. Makes folks think who look and may ask. I like a combo plastic and chrome too.

Just Gary likes this.
  29. 50's & early 60's Mopars had some cool looking knobs. These are from a Mopar, either Chrysler or Desoto, cant remember what make or year 20220202_113150.jpg

williebill and jimmy six like this.
  30. The used to reproduce the original knobs for a '32 and I assume they still do. You could chuck one in a drill press and use a file to remove the lettering. Followup with sandpaper to get the right finish.

Carlie Stephens