Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scam?!?!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skumbag, Aug 24, 2006.

1. 47bob

47bob

In a word: "CASH & CARRY" ( well two words) It's simple.

2. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Flat out scam! I wouldnt even email him back! run away!

3. greatbg

greatbg

This is a scam. I just saw it on the news last night. Guy has 2 computers to sell and someone overseas wants them. Sends cashiers check for something like 200 or 300 over the asking price telling the guy to use it for shipping and return extra money to him. Of coarse the check is fake, you get busted for passing fake checks not them. If it works they get the extra money and you get bit in the ass when they finally catch the bad check.

Not nice people.:mad:

4. blue_oval23

blue_oval23

Dont even mess with it, if he does send you a fake MO to your friends address then he will start makeing threats that he will go to the police and he will never let up. I knew a guy that fell for one of these scams for a crotch rocket that he was selling a couple years ago. He recieved the MO on a monday and on tuesday a truck pulled up and wanted to pick it up. he wanted to wait until the MO cleared but the driver was very pushy and talked him into letting him take it that day. turns out the MO was a fake, and he is out $5g's and no bike. FBI is still investigating. that was 2 years ago. dont even mess with it. These scams piss me OFF!!!!

5. ol fueler

ol fueler

It would take several USPS money orders to get to 2000.00 $ I think 500 is as high as they issue them.

6. Kustomz

Kustomz

Buddy of mine had a person send a cashiers check to him for a car with $200 extra on the total and he wanted him to pay the driver that picked up the car the extra. Rushed it to the bank and found out the cashiers check was bogus. Story is they would have had a car and $200 extra in their pocket if he hadn't checked it out.

7. improbcat

improbcat

http://hartford.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

The craigslist site talks about exactly this sort of scam. They are everywhere. Not even worth replying to. I have taken to listing things on Craigslist as 'local pickup only, cash only'. This cuts down on the scam emails a *lot*. If I get one of these I either delete them or respond simply with 'cash only, local pickup only, still interested?' Funny, I never get another response from there.

8. TooManyProjects

TooManyProjects

Absolutly a scam. I put a Harley Panhead in the Recycler and within three weeks I had four attempts from four different names and three different countries. Two were worded almost identicaly to yours and two were only slightly different offering the overpay scam. I gave them a cell number and told them to call to make arrangements but they claimed they were not near a phone (but had email? lol) or their phone was broken and they were traveling. Don't take a chance on it or waste any more time.

9. Eisenfaust

Eisenfaust
    BANNED

Shine this mutha f&*cer on- These assholes are gonna ruin Craig's list for everybody... Report him to the admin...

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

NEVER even reply to any email from someone who:

has a "client" they are buying for

mentions a shipping agent

has an odd foriegn way of writing english

tells you how they will be paying rather than asking what is acceptable

these scams have nothing to do with your information. they get you hooked, then the scam starts, they ususally send you a fake money order with more money than you need, and you are to send the balance via western union to thier shipping agent.

you just want to tie these people to a chair and beat thier heads with a New York phonebook

11. All you're gonna get is a fake money order.

12. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Make sure you scan your computer for viruses. These scammers often attach a little gift to their emails. Don't answer him, delete any further correspondance.

13. choptop50

choptop50
    from Las Vegas

my buddy just hung up on a guy like that he called back had his partner hand deliver 12g's and picked up the 53 truck and shipped it to japan.

14. flynstone

flynstone

i always tell em cod.....they never return the mail

15. SCAM!!! A guy tried the same with me for my sons '68 Impala. Lukily the HAMBers steered me away. Thank god for the HAMB!

16. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

He wants the info so he can rape you futher. Click the delete button and forget about him. :)

mercman

17. I'm with scooter... There's a whole bunch of VERY creative people lurking and posting on this site. We ought to have a thread (or forum) dealing with scams and possible payback/prosecution means. No bullshit, no FOAF stories, just hard facts and solid ideas. Why do we have to let the cockroaches win (no offense if you like cockroaches:D )

I still can't get over the guy who posted the SATELLITE photo of some web rip-off artist's HOUSE!

18. TooManyProjects

TooManyProjects

Under the thread about the guy that had his 53 Cranbrook ripped off, it looks like the same kind of scammers. One more reason to just let it go.

19. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

It sounds like a scammer to me. I tell the that it is a cash only deal at the time of pick up. I havent heard back from the same one since

20. XSCOOTERX

XSCOOTERX
    from Brier,Wa.

Ya I can't stand these guys either.....Tell ya what, send me 2g's in cash and the truck...I will take care of this asshole and my agent will also send you a engagement ring valued at 5k......

21. Take note of the strange formatting of the English language.

It's apparent that a foreigner put the "offer" and "instructions" together.

Check with your bank, my bank tells me the safest way to move money is a wire transfer.
    They'll set up a wire transfer account for you to receive funds and you won't have to share sensitive personal information.

I'd be wary of cash as well.
    There are a lot of very good counterfeit bills out there.

Best way for cash is buyer and seller go to the bank, he obtains cash there and hands it over in the bank.

You want to be careful where you deliver the vehicle - or pick one up.
    More than a few potential buyers were relieved of a large chunk of cash when they showed up to pick up a reasonably priced Deuce three window or similar.

Keep in mind that a lot of the Nigerian scammers are in the US and can come across as US citizens.
    20-20 or 60 Minutes did a little scam their own selves a while back.
    They set up a sting for some Nigerian scammers who lived in New Jersey or New York I think it was.
    It was really funny watching the scammers try to lie their way out of the situation.

22. sephgato

sephgato
    from fenton

I am gowing through the dealing s with one of these assholes right now, I had my CR 125 on egay for like 10 minutes and some prick does a buy it now, costs me the fees and then pulls the same story as above with the MO or check on its way. I am playing it very cool though, I am acting as though it is business as usual and having him come on out to pick it up........I think the heater stuck in his face for being a punk might change his mind.

23. i don't even trust cash nowadays w/all the counterfeit $$$ thats around. BUT $$$$$ is the best way to go IF u have one of those Counterfeit Detector Pens. my wife handles lots of cash everyday so i asked her to get me one those pens to check the cash i was getting from selling any of my cars/trucks, u just can't be too carefull nowadays....joe

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know if anyone else gets that or not but THAT IS FUNNY!!! Nice!!! I love it!!! :D :D

25. Are the counterfeit bill cheking pens available at Staples and the like?

26. abonecoupe31

abonecoupe31
    from Michigan

Scams..they're out there....I learned this after getting 2 $2000 bogus money orders a few winters back....the thing is, they looked legit....

(And no, I didn't get burned, because I simply waited on the MO's to clear...I mailed it into the CU, and then got the phone call that they wre bogus.....which really pissed off the gal on the other end....I had no transportation and it was in the dead of winter....)

MO's get printed up on computers these days....

I try to live by this old saying....Cash talks, bullshit walks..if someone really wants to buy your wheels, let them show up with cash in hand, or a certified check, and then go to the bank with it.

I simply make sure that the cell is handy for a call to 'da man and that my old trusty .45 caliber (legally carried "cocked and locked") 1911A1 is "available" whenever I have to deal with folks I don't know....

27. just called the wife & she said they get them at the local walmart store & should be available at just about any office supply store...joe

28. Thanks Joe.

More than a few guys have been burned by counterfeit cashiers checks so be very careful with those.

In some cases, the recipient took the cashiers check to the bank, got it approved as a good one, did the deal, 2-3 weeks later the bank comes back with the info the cashiers check is counterfeit.

29. skumbag

skumbag

i dont get it.

thanks everybody for the advise, i deleted the e-mail yesterday and ain't heard back from him. :rolleyes: i'm going to take pics of it and put it in the classifieds here (thats what i should have done in the first place!)

anyway thanks again,
    matt

30. oddbald

oddbald
    from NH