Register now to get rid of these ads!

What kind of tools do you run?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mpls|cafe|racer, Aug 24, 2006.

1. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

I just spent $2550.00 on a ridiculous amount of SK tools... and that's at 55% discount.

What tools do you guys all prefer?

2. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

What are SK tools ??? I use alot of Milwaukee, Miller, Lincoln, Porter Cable and Bosch that kind of sums it up for me.

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

used hand tools from auctions, grandpa, and only a few new air tools.

4. I stopped at a garage sale a few years back. There was a Mac "top" box. The large one. It is full of snap-on, mac, proto, all good stuff. I ask the gal how much and she says 175.00. It was her exhusbands. My friend never saw me move so fast. We had to take the drawers out to load it. I still smile about that. So I guess I prefer snap-on, mac and proto.

5. Snap-on.....I work at a Chrysler dealership and quality tools are reliable tools.

6. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I have a full size matco box and I really like it. I think the plastic handle Snap on screwdrivers are really nice. As for wrenches I like the mac. If you work at a place where the tools trucks come by you know how easy they make it for you to buy stuff, sometimes too easy haha

7. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

What kind do I run??? I run tools like - Bridgeport, Clausing, Rockwell, Do-All, Powermatic, DiAcro, Pexto, Pullmax, Niagra and I am a mere hobbist tinkering at home. No offense intended (seriously), but my advice to you is to go back and return all those tools - then go buy them for a fraction of your "good" price by getting them used at the flea markets, garage sales and swap meets - take the left over money and buy the stuff from my list above. It's just like buying a new car - depreciates a zillion % the second you drive it off the lot - except it's actually worse with tools because you can buy the Lifetime guarantee" ones (USED) for cheap - turn them in - WHEN and IF they crap out. YMMV
    BTW I'll put up my Lista cabinets against a Snap on box any day - but the Snap on stuff sure is purdy. I wouldn't walk away from a deal on any!!!

8. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

http://www.skhandtool.com/

That's what SK tools are.

No offense to the snap on guys, but I'd never buy them. A ton of money for a hyphen in the name.

SK are a middle/upper middle ground tool. Good enough for anything you need to do, but maybe not to do it day in and day out forever. That's why when I do upgrade to a 100% pro set... it will be Cornwells.

9. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Craftsman, Mac, Snap-On

Usually in that order...

10. squirrel

squirrel

what do I prefer, or what do I buy? :)

11. old beet

old beet

Snap-on is cool when puttin together a new rod. But when I'm greasy in my gravel driveway I use Craftsmans as I can grip them. Yes I'm serious.....OLDBEET

12. T2B

T2B
    from san diego

FLUKE, Byrd, Kenwood, Snap-On, Craftsman and the ones I have to make.

13. officerfalfa

officerfalfa

A lot of people say Snap-On is overpriced, but in my opinion, they can't be beat. I use Snap-On everyday at work and Craftsman at home and believe me there IS a difference!

14. HotRodDrummer

HotRodDrummer

Dude!!!THAT is funny!!hahaha

What a bitch!!!!hahaha:D

15. 392_hemi

392_hemi

I agree. In fact, I used to be a contract adminstrator for GSA, and bought tools for the federal government. I've been in a lot of factories to see how the stuff is actually made, and how they stand up to testing. I use mostly Snap-On, although some Mac and SK too. Craftsman tools are a good deal for the money, but like most other stuff, you get what you pay for.

16. Gumpa

Gumpa

I started collecting Craftsman when I got out of the Army in 1970 and I always find something at swap meets. I really like the finish on Craftsman over Snap-on. Snap-On are excellent tools but they are slippery when they get wet or greasy. I clean my tools when I am done anyway with solvent so they will be clean the next time I use them but I just have this nice collection of good old USA Craftsman and I have even got some that say Taiwan in a set I bought at a Swap Meet once. I don't use them, I just keep them in the Dresser that I have in the shop for tools I don't use. Gumpa

17. 1951mercury

1951mercury
    from Illinois

18. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy

Snap-on, MAC, Proto, mostly.
    I find Craftsman wrenches extremley bulky and cumbersome.
    I'm really diggin' some of the Proto stuff, and have been buying more of it lately. It's the best 'bang for the buck' IMHO.

19. Lincoln, ESAB, Miller, Pratt & Whitney, Wilton, jet, Dewalt, s&k, crafstman.

Mrs.C. worked at a tool pawn shop for about three years so I would get tools for mothers day, Easter, saint swithens day etc. Im not complaining mind you, but I had to tell her I couldnt use another cordless drill, or recip saw!

She even started draggin home CARPENTRY tools! wtf? I don't do wood.

Things could have been worse, she could have worked at the petshop!

CR

20. Nicholson

Nicholson

As far as hand tools I have Craftsman, Mac, and Snap-on. The Mac truck never comes by the shop anymore but Snap-on does. I do have a couple of Proto ratchets and I always reach for them first.

21. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

proto mostly,but some craftsman and mac,bought the protos when i was in auto school.

22. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

You have to read the fine print with the lifetime guarantee, usually mentions tool failure not a worn out tool or if you buy it second hand years later...........Then again it depends on who is working behind the counter when you try to return it..............I use a mixture of tool brands, really do not favor one.......what ever gets the job done.If I get in a bind and have to borrow a tool that I do not have.I make it a practice to buy one soon after...Littleman

23. After working on engines for most of my life I have collected a large amount of Snap-on and Mac tools. I do have a Craftsman air compressor. :)

24. Growing up I would use my Dad's Craftsman tools. In mid-70's I bought a Snap On set which have a nice feel in the hand. I have worn out ratchets over the years is all, nothing ever broke. A couple years back I treated my self to a new set of Craftsman and I'm happy with them. Like they say; "Whatever floats your boat" - whatever brand -(except those made in Korea or where ever they come from 99 cent tools those are dangerous) if they work for you then use them.:D Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy

25. LOCO_LOUIE

LOCO_LOUIE
    from Ontario,Ca

Matco & Craftsman

26. the "eliterate"redneck

the "eliterate"redneck
    BANNED

one word chrome vadanium.......get it at mal mart and if u brake it you can buy 10 of them for the price of one snap-o-crap. people who buy big name tools want to be the coolest guy in the shop mr."look at my tools their better than yours cause i have a small penis." wal mart will replace them too. and when u brake'em thats your fault you should have used a tourch.

27. Snap-On , Mac, & Craftsman.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  28. rockabillyjoe

rockabillyjoe
    from Seattle

Sounds like someone has tool envy!

29. hemispherical

hemispherical
    from indiana

since i use them to make a living and cant afford to run to the local walmart every hour to replace them:

snap-on

they really are the best that money can buy. air tools i still stick to IR, but as far as hand tools go, they cant be beat

30. the "eliterate"redneck

the "eliterate"redneck
    BANNED

:D got stocks in wal-mart. sorry just tring to make a little change