Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Stewart Warner Tachometer Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vinfab, Jan 28, 2022.

1. vinfab

vinfab

I have a Stewart Warner tach dated 7/61. I believe this takes the can style sender and I know nothing (in my best Sargent Schultz voice) about these. I know there are some that are converting the Sun tachs with senders to solid state electronics, but I can find no information for the SW's. There are several senders on the E-b..... but I am not sure which one I need or do I even need it to convert it. So, I am hoping for the power of the HAMB to help me. What do you say guys? 20220128_202009.jpg 20220128_201706.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  2. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

3. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

4. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

5. vinfab

vinfab

Thanks for the catalog reference. I had come across the 819891 number sending unit before but could not confirm it was correct for my tachometer. As I said before, I know very little about these. The biggest question is can you trust a 60-year-old sender? I know the Sun senders require batteries that are not available and or they are corroded inside. Do the SW need batteries or are they powered by the vehicles electrical system? Also, they are probably not compatible with an electronic ignition. What I would really like is an electronic conversion sender that I could hide under the dash. Thanks.

6. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

Looks like the smaller ones are solid state and need no battery. Maybe someone with more experience on these can verify that.

7. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

8. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

9. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

10. reefer

reefer

I have a SW tach in my car... it came with he car and was not connected up. I used an adapter from TACHMATCH... it was simple to fit, works a treat and with great back up from the makers.

vinfab likes this.
  11. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Here is what you need to go with that tach. No batteries required on the sender.

Part number 429373. Bob

tach.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  12. vinfab

vinfab

THANKS to all the replies. While none of the links directly answered my questions, they did send me in other directions that did (sort of). Here is what I discovered so far. While there is a lot of information out there for vintage Sun tachometers there is not much for SW's and much of that is conflicting.

My tachometer is the 429370 series, which indicates the tach movement i.e., 90 degree sweep. Newer tachs with different faces such as the greenlines have the same number. There are two different senders which will work with my tach. The older can version is number 429373 that would work for my application (8cylinder, 4 stroke, 12 volt). I still don't know if these do or do not take batteries, I have gotten both answers. The newer version mounts on the back of the tach and is designed to work with conventional or CD ignitions. That number is 819891. The only hiccup is that these were built for newer tachs that had studs on the back for attaching the mounting cup. Mine, being older, has rivets where the studs would be due to using a cup with a band clamp. Not insurmountable though. Still would like to hear from anyone who has any more information.

loudbang likes this.
  13. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm running a 429370 Greenline 8,000 rpm tach with the 819891 v-series sender and it works great. I think you may be getting confused on one thing though, the v-series sender has 4 terminal's and mounts to the tach head via the 2 screw's that have the terminal's attached and the side terminal's on the sender go to ground for the negative terminal and positive terminal goes to the coil. Hope this helps. The can type sender's do have non replaceable battery's

loudbang and Moriarity like this.
  14. vinfab

vinfab

427 sleeper, I had found a photo online of a mounted 819891 sender. The photo was not very clear. I could see the 2 connections to the positive and negative connections on the tach head and what I assumed was the coil terminal on one side. However, the way the photo was taken it appeared that the other terminal went to the mounting stud in what I thought was a ground. Thank you for clearing that up, that makes perfect sense. Let me ask you because you are actually using one, do you know if it possible to use Pertronix and have the tach read correctly?

loudbang likes this.
  15. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I honestly don't know if it will work with a Pertronix, I'm running points on one and a Magneto with another. Personally, I wouldn't be afraid to give it a try.

loudbang likes this.
  16. vinfab

vinfab

Seems like we were both correct. s-l1600 (3).jpg

loudbang likes this.
  17. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

If you're referring to the mercury batteries, there is a fellow out of Russia who sells them online, as they are still produced there.

loudbang likes this.
  18. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Apparently I'm the one who was confused, I see what you are talking about now. I just ASSumed (go ahead and say it ;)) that was just a bonding strap for the single wire light socket that grounded through the case. My bad...:oops:

loudbang likes this.
  19. vinfab

vinfab

Hey, these are 60-year parts we are dealing with, that we got used, with no instructions, we HAVE to make some assumptions. I believe that they added that, so that the weight and vibration would not fatigue the two tach head sender connections.

loudbang likes this.
  20. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL! The answer is D) All of the above :p It should work just fine either way :D

loudbang likes this.
  21. tomcat11

tomcat11

This is out of my catalog. Noticed dash line graphic on your tach is a little different. Same part numbers though. s-l1600.jpg

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    loudbang and vinfab like this.
  22. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe they went to the Greenline graphics in '64. Same movement just a different face. Also, I think that the studs on the back were added for a panel mounting option, also around '64. That's just speculation on my part, though.

loudbang and vinfab like this.