Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 55 to 64 Chevy rear end parts availability

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Jan 27, 2022.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have two projects that I would like to do with mostly vintage parts,one is a 40 Ford and the other is a 42 to 48 Chevy coupe to use the 261 and late 50s GM 3 speed/overdrive that I have in stock. For the Chevy I planned on using a 55 to 57 rear end and are parts readily available,I plan on grabbing one when one comes up.

2. Squablow

Squablow

Posi dropouts are really expensive now, but seals and bearings and brake stuff are all readily available and very reasonably priced. If you get a complete one and just want to keep it maintained then I think it'd be a real good choice. I was told '57 rears have bigger axle bearings in them than the 55-56 rears do.

3. Brake parts are readily available. I've heard wheel bearings are not too bad, just cost more and likely require ordering. I run a 56 Chevy car rearend in my 52 Chevy Ute. Internal third member parts are where I think difficulty comes in. Seems that the common repair if something goes wrong inside is to just get a replacement used third member. I haven't reached that point in my case, yet.......
    As Squablow mentioned, posi are getting pretty rare to find now. Identified by a large "P" cast into the third member casting.

4. Use a 57 if you can find one.Its the only one of the trifives with a drain plug on the bottom.The center carrier is stronger than a 55-56. The axle bearings are bigger.Better yet is a 58-59. Bigger axle bearing yet.Cut the coil hardware off,and add spring pads.Theres a way to use 58 bearings on 57 axles using the correct retainers. The 58 bearing has two oil seals,and is a bit wider.

rockable likes this.

5. Parts are available, especially if all you need are maintenance type items. I was offered a 57 rear a few months ago, but passed, as it would have just been "for future prospects" . They're around, for sure.

6. hepme

hepme

the good news is the chevy will take the tri five rear easy, even the pads fit but you'll probably have to drill a hole forward to center it to the wheel well. With the o.d. you can get away with a 3:70, otherwise i think i'd look for a 3:56 or even 3:36 if its going to be on the road. Alternative: a Ford explorer 8.8. I have a 40 that i replaced the tri five with one. Little more work but strong as heck.

7. The 8.8 may be strong, and correct width for older cars, but the bolt pattern is small Ford 5x4.5; not the 5x4.75 pattern as used on Chevy.

8. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

If you're going to run with the overdrive tranny you need a lower gear ratio or you will be constantly downshifting on hills. A 4.10 : 1 ratio was pretty much the standard for a setup like yours. Good low to mid range power without overdrive, good highway speeds with lower RPM with overdrive engaged.

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Are they all about the same width.

10. 55-64 full size Chevys are 60 inches outside to outside. The later years are stronger,and have larger axle bearings. Cut the coil hardware off,and weld on spring pads.

11. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

And axle bearings are not cheap for the ‘55 rear end

12. GTS225

GTS225

I agree, to a certain extent, with Irishsteve, here. I disagree with using the '57 housing. (Unless I missed some details between the '57 and '58-'64 housings.) T'were me, I would go with the '58-'64 rear. EVERYTHING in it is interchangable, where the axles, retainers, and bearings are not in the tri-five rears. Found all that out when we were putting my T together, and discoverd a '57 housing, with '55-'56 axles just would not go together right. Ended up just getting a '59 full assembly, and things fell together after that.

Just my 2-pence.....Roger

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Thanks for the info and will look for a 58 and up but if one from a 57 comes along I will not pass it up.

14. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i wonder if a bearing supply house would work? when i rebuilt my warner overdrive, i just took the rollers and bearings to one and they matched all the numbers and sizes for me!

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

There's no problem finding bearings, shims, crush sleeve, seals, ring and pinion, etc. The parts you don't usually replace, such as side gears, etc, are long out of production.

It's not much different from most other old rear ends.

16. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-2-7_4-1-46.png

Hello,

Every time we happen to be in this area of So Cal visiting the beach and sights, we see this cool panel truck. The term classy Chevy USA is the name of a local parts dealer/builder.
    https://www.classychevusa.com/

You are located across most of the USA from the Westcoast, but perhaps you might want to get in contact with them to see if they can help in your search or purchases. No, I do not work for them or get a commission on sales. It is just that over the years of driving by the industrial area, we happen to see the cool cars and trucks built up from this shop.

Jnaki

You might not ever come out here in So Cal, but it is an area called the “Surf Ghetto” since it is a place that a lot of top name surfboard shapers and factories are located. I watched my last surfboard being shaped and glassed in one of the local shops in this area. It is a very funky area, with a mixture of all types of small shops catering to a lot of different clientele. Metal shaping to old cars to a massive party supply place and a paint/body shop are some of the different places here.

If the ClassyChevyUSA site and place is as good as their builds, you might be in luck. YRMV

17. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

20 years ago I had 3 tri five complete year ends , 2-4.10 's & 1 3.08. , saved since the late 60's , couldn't give them away ended up treading them for an unmolested 400 SBC . now people want them again ?

18. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Just replaced the center section in mine with all new bearings and seals.
    Machine work to press old bearings off and new on plus parts was about 100 bucks