Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1932 cowl lacing question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hybrid Vigor, Jan 24, 2022.

1. Hybrid Vigor

Hybrid Vigor
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Austin, TX

Hey y'all,

I did a search on the HAMB and on the general web and couldn't find the answer to my question. The previous owner of my 32 used fuel lines in place of the traditional lacing on the radiator cover and cowl. I've got the radiator lacing all finished up with the j hooks and split rivets no problem. But I need guidance on what to do with the cowl lacing. I got a kit from CW Moss that comes with the split rivets and hooks but there's no place to attach them. The car was used as a drag car so previous owner did things such as welded in the cowl vent and firewall so I'm not sure what's missing. If y'all have pictures of how the lacing is supposed to attach to the cowl or instructions I would much appreciate it.
    IMG_2199.jpeg IMG_2200.jpeg IMG_2201.jpeg

2. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Is yrs 3 w or 5 etc. 5 w im sure There should be slits on each side of cowl near bottom where cowl feet ,same on grill shell , J hooks into .
    I try to get a pic , more likely some will post pic before I get to shop,

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    Hybrid Vigor likes this.
  3. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Judging from what 19Eddy30 wrote I believe the slit was between the two rivets or bolts in the picture you posted. Looks like the area shows evidence of being welded....

Hybrid Vigor likes this.
  4. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

^^^^ & I notice that the 2 rivets for the inner cowl brace to A Pillar have been removed , unless a 3 w does not have ?

Hybrid Vigor likes this.

5. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

32A7494A-1B49-4932-B2D7-3F0E87B564EA.jpeg 0E1661D9-6481-454A-813A-B3874FB41DBA.jpeg 5E20C40A-2C9E-47C8-9C58-350402E3FCBD.jpeg

1st pic grill
    2nd A pillar rivets
    3rd firewall

Hybrid Vigor likes this.
  6. They have removed the lip where the lacing goes.

Hybrid Vigor likes this.
  7. Fordors

Fordors

There is no firewall band that would hold the f/w to cowl seal, that’s why the lip for the lacing isn’t there. @Hybrid Vigor mentioned the firewall being welded in, that means it was made large enough from flat sheet metal to fit the inside of the cowl and welded in there.

56don and Hybrid Vigor like this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

Yep, the original lace goes in the firewall's trough, not the body's. The body's trough carries the rainwater down and away from the engine compartment before it gets to the lacing.

OP is either going to have to do it different than Henry, or get a new firewall.

56don and Hybrid Vigor like this.
  9. Hybrid Vigor

Hybrid Vigor
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Austin, TX

Thank you for the replies, guys. This helps a lot. Not what I wanted to hear but exactly what I needed to know. It makes sense now why the lacing holes are missing as they welded in a new firewall and moved it back considerably to make room for the V8.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  10. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I have leaned its best to keep the stock Fire wall & modify to work with engine combo in steed of flat fire wall when your over 5-10 & shoe size 11 & bigger on 3w 5w Roadster,& especially trucks cab , every inch matters for leg & feet room for long rides .

Hybrid Vigor likes this.
  11. Fordors

Fordors

You might consider finding a junk Deuce firewall, or you might even find a f/w band and that way you can get the cowl lace trough and still keep your flat firewall.

Untitled.jpg

When I bought my 5W it was channeled and had a really rough firewall so I cut the band off and welded 11G sheet metal to the backside of the flange. It's very rigid, and uses the factory style cowl to firewall seal as original. I don't run a hood, the engine is a 6-71 blown 350, but I wanted the detail of the factory f/w band.

Hybrid Vigor likes this.
  12. Hybrid Vigor

Hybrid Vigor
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Austin, TX

That's actually a great idea. I was thinking of doing something along those lines but wasn't sure of the feasibility. Glad to know it's successfully been done.

13. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Junk Deuce firewall? Find them in the hens teeth isle.

A repop could be had for what, $500? Expensive way of doing it but easier to find than hens teeth? Now someone with a Pullmax (other power hammers are available), or maybe even just a bead roller, and a suitable copy of the required strip might energe in an hour or two.

Chris

14. Fordors

Fordors

A245E843-57C3-49E8-83B3-4A9FB3658570.png

We’re not in the land o’ plenty even here across the pond, but they do pop up on occasion. The needed trough is just one part, you would also need the flange on the cowl side where the rubber seal will seat. Anything can be fabricated but at what cost?

15. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

How about you hook the j-hooks to the bottom of the existing cowl channel. Pull the lacing up tight to the center hood hinge bracket. Then simply use a small counter sunk bolt through the hole that is already drilled there. You could also use something like weatherstripping glue in the channel if you want.

Hybrid Vigor likes this.