Register now to get rid of these ads!

chevy II 153 four cylinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junior 1957, Oct 21, 2012.

1. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Yes they are! They have emulsion tubes, air jets and fuel jets that are all replaceable.

AHotRod and Six Ball like this.
  2. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

They make a larger 38/38 Weber 2bbl that is larger than the 32/36. Or you could make an adapter to try the Holley 2 bbl in 350 or 500 CFM.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    AHotRod, gimpyshotrods and Six Ball like this.
  3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Now we'er gettin' somewhere!:rolleyes:

4. 29Coupe

29Coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Six Ball likes this.
  5. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Probably a good choice.

6. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My father had a 4-cyl that looked a lot like the picture in post 231. It was in a little cuddy cabin cruiser. Two 1-bbls, solid cam and some extra compression, I think. It wasn't a MerCruiser, I think an OMC set up. Ran pretty well but rotted thru from sea water. We put a bone stock 307 in its place, made a big difference once we got the prop straightened out, but didn't look half as cool. Gene.

Six Ball and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

153+153 = what you did sorta. I would hope it would make a difference. :D
    But these little guys do look cool and do amazingly well in a light car.:)

alphabet soup likes this.
  8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A 283 stroker..a 307 Chevrolets only production stock stroker engine.

alphabet soup and Six Ball like this.
  9. Ringleader

Ringleader
    Alliance Vendor

My 1930 Austin 153, mercruiser head and internals, efi injection, t-10, halibrand quick.... fun LITTLE car... haha

Attached Files:

X-cpe, 1929CDAN, OFT and 3 others like this.
  10. GuyW

GuyW

Wow, that is probably the shortest driveshaft I have ever seen. Kool car.

Six Ball likes this.
  11. cfmvw

cfmvw

Any more pictures of it? Bet it was a blast to drive!

Six Ball likes this.
  12. Ringleader

Ringleader
    Alliance Vendor

Nothing more on my phone I'll see what I can find....

cfmvw and Six Ball like this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Please do!

Six Ball likes this.
  14. Ringleader

Ringleader
    Alliance Vendor

Found another... I'm 6' 210lbs... it's not a terrible fit... about like riding in my buddy's chopped 32 5 window ...

Attached Files:

OFT, cfmvw and Six Ball like this.
  15. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

I picked up one of these little guys off FB marketplace a while back. I'm thinking it would be a good mill for my 26 Dodge Brothers.

Six Ball likes this.
  16. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The only thing better would be one of the Dodge flathead fours with 5 mains like the Dodge Boys run.

NWRustyJunk likes this.
  17. Very true, Six Ball, but Dodge Fast Four engines are like hens teeth these days :(

Six Ball likes this.
  18. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

In our senior year of high school, most of us already had our hot rod sedans and me with my Flathead 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, too. One of my friends needed a car for his after school sports activity. He kept asking other friends for rides to the activity and he told us that was getting old.

So, we took him to see several Chevy sedans. A 1962 409 was shown and since knowing about the red 1961 409 sitting in the drive-in restaurant parking lot of our other friend, the new 409 4 speed was too much car for him. Our car-less friend loved being inside of our fast sedans when we had some encounters and full on acceleration runs on the Cherry Avenue Drags location. So, he was no stranger to high speed runs. But, for him, he wanted something that would get him where he wanted to go and be economical.
    upload_2022-2-7_4-24-25.png
    His dad got him a brown color, two door 1962 Chevy 2 Nova. The styling had the factory lowered look. With the open hardtop and windows down, it was a perfect cruising sedan. When we all got inside, the Chevy 2 actually was illegal as far as the CHP was concerned. 4-5 big teenagers made the whole car so much lower than stock. We had to go slowly over driveway entrances and exits all of the time.
    upload_2022-2-7_4-25-22.png similar in color and looks

Jnaki

He liked fast cars, as long as he was not driving/racing them. He loved being in the 1958 Impala when we were several car lengths ahead of our neighboring competing, Chevy/Ford sedans. But, despite that we would do the modifications for free, he just did not want anything faster than it was.

So, on those hot summer nights, the slowest races were done against a 53 Chevy Bel Air Hardtop and a 51 Pontiac Sedan. A 90 HP four cylinder can only go so fast… It was a welcome relief to scoot forward as fast as we could to make the slow drags go a little faster… Ha!

What mods? We told him we could get some stuff to build up his 4 cylinder, but that he would still have a 4 cylinder. As an added extra, a supercharger, like a McCulloch/Paxton would do easily. Or, we offered to install a SBC 283 (if he purchased one) with dual quads similar to the one in the fast, 1957 Chevy Bel Air Hardtop.

He opted to keep it bone stock, remained a great basic, economical car with a little style and kept it for a long time. No V8 or supercharger mods for him. AWWWW

Six Ball likes this.
  19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

The 32/36 is progressive, the 38/38 is not, if that matters.

Another option other than the Holley is the Rochester 2GC, plenty of availability of those carbs and you should be able to get set up for far less than what Holley is asking for their 2 barrel. The Holley probably has better tunability though.

Six Ball and tractorguy like this.
  20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Where does the dipstick go on a 153 with a rear sump pan?

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Into the tube? Lol

kidding ;) I’ll send you a pic

22. I have a 2GC on my car and it's too much. Can't go around corners as it floods. MPG sucks. Can't get it lean enough. I'm going to the Pinto card. Adapter came from Clifford. I have the Clifford intake on the engine.

Attached Files:

Six Ball, Papas32 and Tim like this.
  23. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Hotdodbob, What block do you have? The dipstick is further to the rear than mine? Is it a 153 or 181?

shivasdad likes this.
  24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

so if the 2GC is too large, than it's a good bet the Holley 350 will be as well.

Six Ball and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  25. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

I have a 350 holley on mine and it handles it just fine and performance is great.

Six Ball likes this.
  26. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Something amiss with that 2GC

Six Ball, tractorguy and Blues4U like this.
  27. Casting number is: 3987746 this I have found as a 1968 casting. Stamped in numbers are: 19w467646 and V04I2AJ. I'm guessing the number breaks down as: 1= GM/Chevrolet, 9=1969, W = Willow Run Plant car assembly. 467646 Original Vehicle serial/sequence number. The V in the second number seems to mean Flint engine plant. April build date, but the rest does not match anything.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    Six Ball likes this.
  28. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Reading thru this and thinking about the Whatever project makes me think that it might be fun to get a 3.0 version and put it into the car. Have to talk to Boyd's first and get Jack's opinion. I still like hp, but I'm getting older and wiser. Maybe less is more...

Six Ball likes this.
  29. X-cpe

X-cpe

Wouldn't a 350 also qualify since it shares its bore size with the 327.

Six Ball likes this.
  30. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

hotridbob, sorry I missed this post. I'll have to check my numbers.