Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is this a Brookville roadster pickup? Update: NO. Now building 1929 roadbriolet/cabrioster pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Al, whose mirrors are those. I need to do something like that

loudbang likes this.
  2. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Bert, they came with the pickup but they are called Swan mirrors. Speedway has a pair for less than $90; I think many other of the usual big suppliers have them.
    The important thing to look for is that they are stainless steel AND they have a second, smaller mounting stud behind the usual mounting stud... that ensures that they don't twist on the main mounting stud.;):)
    Swan Mirror.jpg
    I like them.:)
    Thanks for getting back to us... projects never go as quickly as we want them to go!!:eek::D:D

brEad, hotrodjack33, dwollam and 4 others like this.
  3. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Thanks I like the two studs feature. Do they interfer with the window track inside the door. It is very close

olscrounger, Hamtown Al and loudbang like this.
  4. atch

atch

Al,

If you haven't already you should post this picture

[​IMG]

in the "black on black on black" thread.

5. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Bert, I took mine off and reinstalled them after my meager attempt at painting the doors.:eek::D
    No issues with my doors but it does matter where you locate the mirrors.;)
    I like them.

Mike, I think I posted the pickup on that thread already but probably not with the flag... I really like it with the flag.;)
    I'll look but I hate to keep posting my own dang stuff!!:eek::D:D

6. atch

atch

When it looks this good flaunt it!!!

7. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where'd ya go Al?

loudbang likes this.
  8. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Phil and Jack, thanks for your continued interest. I did manage to get some 5/16" wheel spacers installed but weather has kept me from testing it.:( Also, I found a solution for the trailer hitch for the 36 Fordy on the shelf at Tractor Supply.;):)
    I was gonna load a couple pictures but my dang phone and my computer ain't talkin' at the moment!!:eek::D:D
    Updates soon... I hope!
    BTW, I'm now thinking about adding the top and the associated hardware. I don't really intend to ever use it but I want it as a safety net:) from swimming if I drive it out of town... say, York.;) I'm planning to have the rear anchors for the top attached to a board that will be bolted to the top of the back of the cab. I'm even thinking of making a similar board that will be attached to a homemade Carson... make that CASTEEN top!!:D:D
    The Carson/Casteen top would just replace the folding top and secure to the cab at the same points used for the folding top. Opportunities!!:D:D
    Probably should just sell it but I'm thinking it is going to be a lot of fun this summer!! :D

9. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gee Al, don't sell it. A convertible might be fun this summer:)...oh, wait a minute...you already have THREE converts.;):D

10. .....If you do wind up leaning toward selling it, bring it to York so I can see it in person.:).....Don.

hotrodjack33, Hamtown Al and loudbang like this.
  11. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Jack, a man can't have too many convertibles.;):D Don't forget that off topic small red convertible that really whines, too.;)
    Don, let the weather get right and we can have that longed for breakfast meet in Tappahannock.;) Not sure how far for you but I do guarantee a great meal... I'll even buy!:eek::D
    Shoot! We could open it up to the fellows up Richmond way... and anywhere else as far as that goes!!
    Fun with cars is what it is about!:)
    Now I've gotta figure out why my phone and computer ain't talkin'!:eek::D

12. I think that you need to sell me that old, dilapidated grey convertible that has the Bruick motor in it, and keep the others. The one that looks kinda like a Model A. I’m close enough so that you could come visit if you got to missin’ it. Anything to help you out. :D

13. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_5674.JPG
    This is the one I think you mean...
    IMG_6627.JPG
    with the new interior.
    Yeah, but I know you aren't used to convertibles with roll up windows so you probably wouldn't like it.;):D
    But I will keep you in mind.;) Of course that is no guarantee that I'll call... I recently contacted a fellow that bought another convertible from me awhile back and he reminded me that I'm to call him if I decide to part with my 36 Fordy pickup! That "call me" line goes on and on... no way I'll remember; let alone, contact, them all!:eek::D:D

PS Still can't get the phone to talk to the computer.:mad: I'll figure it out... I hope!;)
    Opportunities!!:D

14. I post photos from my phone to the HAMB.

Just open your browser
    When you post an update, click 'upload a file' and select the photo(s) you want us to see.

You can do this.

Hamtown Al and loudbang like this.
  15. New threads are really nice! Must have missed that upgrade.

Hamtown Al and loudbang like this.
  16. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Hot Rods - 32 cabriolet that was in same Spokane family 75 years now DRIVING with 425 GS Buick engine!! | Page 15 | The H.A.M.B. (jalopyjournal.com)
    The above will hopefully put you on page 15 of the thread about the 32 Cabriolet. The new upholstery process begins on that page and bleeds over to page 16, too, I think.
    Phil, thanks for tip on uploading from phone... might give it a try.
    Of course, I already know y'all ain't gonna be all that excited to see a set of 5/16" wheel spacers and a store bought trailer hitch solution for an old pickup but it is what I got!:rolleyes::D:D

17. Budget36

Budget36

Hey Al, do you have an IPhone by chance? If so, plug into your computer, then power off the phone. Let it sit for 20 seconds or so, then power it up. It might come up and say something like “unlock to confirm to connect to this device” or similar. No clue on Androids though. My iPhone 7 won’t even charge via a usb plug in the wall unless I confirm it at times.

hotrodjack33, loudbang and Hamtown Al like this.
  18. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_7283[1].JPG
    Dang! I just loaded the hitch per instructions from Budget36! Thanks! I've already learned something new so guess I can quit for today!:D
    IMG_E7271[1].JPG
    Hey, I got the spacers, too!!
    I'm still hoping to get my usual hookup back working but this is better than nothing... I hope!:D

brEad, hotrodjack33, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  19. Budget36

Budget36

Al, you just learned a valuable experience that I learned the hard way.

My experience cost me a new phone a few years back(rage y know) and when my new one did the same thing, one of my kids clued me in;).

I miss that old phone!

20. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Budget36, I just discovered that I don't have to turn phone off at all. I just plug the phone to the line with usb and when I connect usb to computer, I get the ALLOW or Not Allow message. BUT, you have to keep the phone on by clicking on some app. Then it stays accessible from the computer.;) If don't open some app, the phone goes to sleep and cuts off the link to the computer.:eek: Then you get the message again when the phone is made active again but don't have to unplug or replugo_O anything.;):)
    I pulled some pictures from the phone and saved them to the computer. I'll share them later.;)
    Thanks again for opening a new way of thinking in getting pictures from phone.:)
    I've learned so much today that I may have to take tomorrow off!!:D:D

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    brEad, hotrodjack33, Blues4U and 7 others like this.
  21. ....Not to hi-jack Al's thread, but can anyone tell me if the same process works for an Android phone? Many thanks.....Sorry for the interruption, Al.

Budget36, loudbang and Hamtown Al like this.
  22. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Don, I'm all about learning and sharing so no worries at all... if anything, I encourage "interruptions";) because they are usually interesting and can be quite informative. ;):) (It also gives some variety from my sorry efforts to share! ;):D)
    I suggest you just try what I did:
    Plug cable into phone and then into computer. Go to computer to open pictures and see if the phone is listed under the selectable items for "This PC". Android might post message on phone like Apple or it might not. ;)
    The key is to get it to appear as a selectable device. Click on device, then click on file then click on folder and hopefully you will see some pictures... seems I double clicked when I got down to the folder level to get the pictures to pop up.
    Go get 'em!
    You can do it.
    Feel free to post your results as we all are just trying to have fun with the hobby... phones and getting pictures to post are just part of the process but one that most of us greatly appreciate. :)
    Thanks to all that follow and/or contribute to the thread. The more the merrier! :D

23. I believe it is very similar.

24. ...Thanks, Phil.

loudbang and Hamtown Al like this.
  25. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_7296.JPG
    Well, boys, what we have here is another opportunity!:D
    I realized early on that the bolts holding the windshield stands on were not the correct ones which would have had countersunk heads.:eek: Not a big deal I thought. :rolleyes: Got to quit "thinking!":D When I mounted them correctly, it seems the bottom of the windshield stands got pulled in tight; which was good except:eek: it pulled the top of the stand on passenger side (and probably also the driver's side:eek::rolleyes:) out just a bit. Two "bits" out equals what you see above.:eek::D
    IMG_7297.JPG
    IMG_7298.JPG
    IMG_7299.JPG
    As I studied the situation, I saw that the stand on the passenger side did not seem to fit as flush to the cab as the driver's side stand and it clearly had larger gaps between the windshield stand and the inner part of the windshield.:eek:
    Another opportunity!
    I'm thinking I'm gonna have to take the passenger side apart and try to rework it to make the fit to the windshield tighter and also tweak the bottom of the stand to sit a bit more level.;)
    The bad news is the PO has already had the stands powdercoated which might get damaged.:eek::( We'll see.
    More later.
    Pondering Al

loudbang, dwollam and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_7309.JPG
    Much better!!:)
    I reworked the whole setup some and then loosened the screws securing both windshield stands to the cab.
    I gently;) worked the tops of both stands inward until I managed to get the top bow to seat properly on the studs at the top of each windshield stand.
    IMG_7304.JPG
    Then I removed each mounting screw and filled the hole with silicone gasket maker; replacing each screw before I moved on to the next one.;) I also pushed as much of the silicone as I could up under the inside edge of each windshield stand.;) I retightened each screw only until it was snug as I didn't want to reintroduce a lot of tension on the studs at the top of the windshield stands.
    IMG_7306.JPG
    Above is the driver's side before adding silicone... I finished the passenger side before I remembered about getting pictures.:eek::D
    IMG_7308.JPG
    I'm getting ready to load the top hole while pushing some along the inside of the stand as well.
    IMG_7310.JPG
    Whole side looks better to me... and it fits!:):D
    IMG_7311.JPG
    Driver's side looks the same but is canted inward just a "bit!":D
    IMG_7312.JPG
    Looks like a good fit to me.:)
    Now if the weather will cooperate with an early spring:D; we'll proceed to upholstery shop.:)
    I almost forgot the following pictures of each door with the windows rolled up to check the seal profile of the windshield stands versus the windows... looks great on both sides to me!:)
    Passenger side:
    IMG_7301.JPG
    Top of passenger side:
    IMG_7303.JPG
    Driver's side:
    IMG_7305.JPG
    With a good top built to work with the windows, this cabrio roadster pickup might be more than just a fair weather toy!:) Add a couple ports to plug in heated seat covers after rolling the windows up and away we go!!;):D:D

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
    brEad, hotrodjack33, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  27. That's nice...good work.

28. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Thanks. I'm hoping that gasket making material will keep the stands stable after it sets up.:) The good news is there is access from the bottom so I could slip a washer or other type shim up underneath against the inside of the windshield stand to allow me to tighten the screws fully at the bottom.;)
    Like all hot rodders, we'll find a way!:D Or at least keep trying!:D:D
    I had a pal that said it was good when we tried something and it didn't work because then we could focus on something else that might solve the opportunity!!:D He had the best attitude.;):)

29. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

You never know where you will find good ideas.
    Today I was checking out the new thread of pictures from a northern CA event on 2/26/2022 and an interior shot of a 32 roadster caught my eye.
    note method top attached to windshield.jpg
    I was particularly interested in how the top was attached to the windshield frame.
    Here's a closeup:
    note method top attached to windshield b.jpg
    Simple. I love simple. I would have opted for some knurled nobs instead of what looks like a phillips head screw but maybe the owner hasn't found something else yet.;)
    Anyway, here's the best picture I could find and crop to show what came on my rpu. The latches were almost the very first thing I took off the car! The part marked was permanently attached to the windshield stand and I didn't want them always there because they were ugly and stuck out like a sore thumb against the black powdercoated windshield stands.:eek::D They also flopped around and rattled when the top wasn't up and I wasn't planning to drive the rpu much with the top up; if even ON the car!:)
    note orig top latches.JPG
    I'm going to fabricate a simple bracket that be permanently attached to the header for the top and stick down just enough to extend right along the inside of the windshield post down past the two holes already threaded that used to hold the bottom part of the latch to the windshield stand. I'm hoping to find some black nobs with the correct thread that can either be left screwed into the windshield stands (if not too noticeable;)) or stored somewhere in a bag; possibly sewn into the bottom back of the top when it is made.;)
    I've already made a crude pattern.;)
    A big THANKS! to the fellow HAMBer that shared his pictures from the event.:)
    This place is great!!
    Thanks for putting up with me.:)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
    brEad, dwollam, Blues4U and 4 others like this.