Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The Chrisman Coupe was sold again...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jan 25, 2022.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

The Chrisman Coupe was sold again...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Run it? Not legal to run anywhere these days.

CBurne7, 41 GMC K-18, HEMI32 and 4 others like this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Tman it could probably “run” in plenty of the “exhibition” nostalgia drags held all over.

I see plenty of cars run there that would never be allowed on the track elsewhere. Granted that’s not the salt but it’s not sitting in a museum either?

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  4. Woooo buddy... history is expensive! While I drool and dream of cars like this, Hirohata, McGee, Kookie, etc... sometimes I snap back into reality and think "It's just a car, not like the ghosts of those people live in it".

I dunno. I think if I had that much money I'd spend it on something else.

34 5W Paul, corndog, CBurne7 and 9 others like this.

5. Yup, cackle or easy exhibition only.

I made my first post because so many folks think you could show up on the salt and run something like this still. In reality even some 10 year old race cars will not pass current tech. There was a VERY famous and fast modern streamliner that finally got turned away a few years back due to insuffient tubing thickness that did not meet spec

41 GMC K-18, HEMI32, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  6. You arent kidding! I always knew it was stringent on the salt to pass tech, but witnessing it in person this last year at speed week really put it into prospective. That being said, it would cool seeing it on the salt as a static display. Just to see it in person, in the place it was born to run at. And the people there would be the ones to appreciate it for what it is in history, more than being displayed in any car show.

7. goldmountain

goldmountain

Must be something wrong with that car if no one wants to keep It!

41 GMC K-18 and sodbuster like this.
  8. It is an expensive paperweight to keep around.

Woogeroo, 41 GMC K-18, y'sguy and 3 others like this.
  9. HAHAHAHAHAA ... there is a 32 Ford roadster in Ontario Canada that has had something like 25 owners in the last 50 years. The present owner is also one of the former owners. I made the joke that it can't be an enjoyable car if no one wants to own it for more than two years and ... well ... it didn't go over too well :eek::D

I don't get invited back to many parties/events :p

10. Some tires and lights and I’d drive it on the street

41 GMC K-18 and kevinrevin like this.
  11. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I heard someone say that the majority of the cars running at Bonneville now are recycled/ rebuilt from previous builds, because they just keep getting updated then passed along to the next person that wants to run on the salt and not build a very specific car from scratch...

TERPU, 41 GMC K-18 and Nailhead Jason like this.
  12. Used to be. Now, many of the historic cars have been retired and or restored. My first time out there close to 20 years ago there were still several famous cars from the 50s being run. All restored or destroyed now. Still a lot of modern door slammers that get passed around. OT Camaros, Firebirds etc.

13. I’d totally believe that. The car that my club brothers ran last year was once owned by the Rolling Bones, The 532 car still running in XFGR. tons of updates done to it to get it up to date. It’s completely busted apart again right now to update for next year.

14. Glad you got to experience it! I will be crewing for Chick this year with teh Salt Circus roadster, look us up.

15. Andy Kohler used to drive that car? @thunderbirdesq ?

16. spanners

spanners

Good luck seeing the traffic lights or getting your Maccas order passed in through the side window.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  17. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

One day before I'm six feet under.......I hope to sit in the Chrisman' Coupe......I have dreamed of that coupe since I was 6 years old.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

stanlow69, 41 GMC K-18 and Sprout like this.
  18. Not sure, Its owned by Dustin Corl in NC now. Car is under Corl Competition in last years Speed Week program.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  19. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

The car you mentioned would be the T-Bird Deuce owned by John Willoughby. I know the car quite well and yes, there were a lot of former owners, 24 to be exact. If you google T-Bird Deuce all the information should come up. John put a lot of effort into in getting the roadster into show condition and is quite proud of the car now, and is especially proud of the car's past history. After making negative comments about his car you are lucky to have escaped with just a scolding.

lippy likes this.
  20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I sure hope your skinny and no taller than 5-10.

sodbuster and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  21. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Sure you can get in, but you may never get out.

5window and 61cad like this.
  22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I had a supervisor who was a pilot who bought a Pitts stunt biplane. Same thing. Average flight time before being sold was 7 hours, usually ending in a ground loop or some other sort of accident. Sure enough he did a header nose over on landing and sold it after seven hours of flight.

lippy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  23. Sigh .... :rolleyes:

The car changed hands, on average, every two years over a time span of 50 years (at the time I made the comment). That IS a HUGE part of its history (like it or not). On the other end of the spectrum, my father in-law has owned his Model A since 1959 and has no intention of selling it. If a car as desirable as a 1932 Ford Roadster changes hands every two years over the course of a 50 year span ... it is a FACT that a LOT of people tired of it VERY quickly (especially considering how short the driving season is here in Canada). John is proud of the fact that he has located all of the other owners ... unfortunately, doing so also revealed that there were a LOT of owners who found out their "dream car" wasn't ... :)

Lone Star Mopar, 41 GMC K-18 and Tman like this.
  24. I knew you would chime in Chris, you have always professed your love for this car!

sodbuster and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  25. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

5'9" & I can shimmy and shake. I climbed into Elmo Rodge's belly tank a couple of years back barefoot.......so, I guess I can still wiggle around roll cages.

Chris

jimmy six likes this.
  26. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Hi Trent, ya Dustin and I both crewed and drove, Dustin wound up buying the car and has been really making some great improvements and having fun with it with his club brothers!

Tman likes this.
  27. plan9

plan9

I know of a few cars sitting due to very outdated safety setups... they could possibly pass tech in the V4F and XF classes but I'd wager it would depend who the driver is.

Tman likes this.
  28. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always wanted to see it on the salt. Dana gave one of his guys permission to take out to Speedweek for a photoshoot but it never happened as the Monterrey sale was priority during Speedweek. I have helped move that car around a few times. One of my favorites. Maybe the new caretaker will roll it out there...