Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Weiand flathead intake generator offset

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kickstarter, Jan 24, 2022.

1. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

213D09BF-0DAC-4809-8136-370B4C18097E.jpeg On this Weiand intake the generator mount is slightly offset to the driver side. It doesn’t seem like it’s offset enough to still run the generator. Is it enough offset? And if not, why did Weiand do that?

kadillackid likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

There's no way a generator will still fit on there in front of that carb. I've got no idea why it's offset.

3. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

A generator will not fit in that space. There just isn't enough room. I'm wondering if the generator mount was offset to avoid interference with the crankcase vent tube. If the generator mount was centered up then the one web of the generator mount would be right on top of the crankcase vent tube. The offset also makes the intake have a nicer appearance.

Carter likes this.
  4. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

It will still need an offset hanger to position it. Maybe its offset to give greater movement and placement once you also use the offset bracket...

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A little general information for those not familiar with flathead Fords. That's a late model ('49-'53) manifold. The offset generator bracket for those manifolds mounts on the stock generator mount in place of the stock generator bracket. The earlier flatheads used a bracket that mounted on the head using three longer head studs. Those brackets will not work with the 8BA series of flatheads, because of interference with the distributor. I found this out the hard way.

6. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

wonder if the kobuta alternator would fit...

7. alchemy

alchemy

I wonder if that intake would fit on a Honda....

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

9. dwollam

dwollam

My Offenhauser flathead 4bbl intake is also offset to the left on is on my 8BA with '48 and earlier style heads and running a stock 6v generator. Clearance to the left upper radiator hose is tight! Also to the oil filler tube.

Dave

10. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

I figured I’d need an offset bracket. I’m going to be using the six volt generator and a converted sbc Mallory flattop distributor.

11. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That gen offset is common on the popular regular dual 8BA intakes for the forward 94 to clear the stock generator. The offset is probably just a manufacture mold carry-over to their other style intakes, whether needed or not.

12. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Thanks, that makes sense.