Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Who are the 2022 AMBR Contenders?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the-rodster, Jan 25, 2022.

1. the-rodster

the-rodster

Has it been announced?
    Does anybody know?

Rich

Stogy likes this.
  2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Builders keep fairly hush hush until check in day. Once in a while something slips out.

chryslerfan55, Stogy, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  3. The builders are not allowed to show anything on the interwebs till they go through the first part of judging on Wednesday/ Thursday. If a builders shows overall car before hand they are out of the running.

Stogy, LOU WELLS and loudbang like this.
  4. Unless something has changed I don't believe that is the case for AMBR cars. I mean the Eddie Dye roadster competed a few years ago and it was in magazines back in the 50's and I have seen lots of builders post build pictures on Instagram in the past. The Ridler does have that requirement.

5. Anderson

Anderson

It might not be a hard rule, but they prefer you to not show the finished vehicle prior to the show. Usually bare metal and build shots are ok but chromed and painted and upholstered are to be kept hush hush.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    Stogy, loudbang and Tim like this.
  6. This is true for the "Ridler" award at Detroit, but I believe the standards are a little broader for the AMBR.

Mick

chryslerfan55, HEMI32, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  7. Anderson

Anderson

And since I didn’t answer the question, no I haven’t heard or seen anything about any of the contenders so far. I’m not complaining as I get pretty tired of seeing every car that is going to be at a particular show on Social media before the show itself. I miss the surprise!

Tman, Stogy and Dan Hay like this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw a photo of a green full fendered 32 roadster in front of the this is an AMBR entrant banner on my phone but don't remember details. Seems to be a well known car that was just freshened up.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  9. Anderson

Anderson

Ah! Forgot about that one. It is a not so well known car, but still famous. The Ian Cusey roadster, owned and meticulously restored by Flat Top Bob.

Sine it’s out there on the internet now, I don’t think bob will mind me sharing this last picture

00B94BD3-1744-4DB1-897E-74211D3E8013.jpeg 08F400A8-8D5B-4035-9A65-6B7BB3E6B07B.jpeg
    4C374BFC-A7B7-46A7-B561-1E232DDD799F.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  10. Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

If you ever get the chance, take time to introduce yourself to Custom Mike. He is one hell of a nice guy.

12. The stretched 33 roadster looks like a nice car. On the other had, I see there is a Ridleresque 'modern' version of one there too. :(

Is the Edsel roadster a contender?

Stogy likes this.
  13. The Edsel Ford roadster!!!! Man what year to miss this one. That one of my favorites. Please post more pics as stuff come through! Thanks everyone.

14. The stretched 33 is from Brizio's powered by Aston-Martin V12, owned by John Mumford. The blue '34 Chev is by Devlin Rod And Customs. From the little I have seen for me these are the front runners. The Edsel speedster replica may have ties to HHR. That '35 roadster looks like a good build but the '34/35 grille hybrid... yeah, nah, yuk! Spoils the lines.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  15. Cool! Good to see Flat Top Bob's car done. He was showing us pics of it when we went down to visit him a few months ago.

Edit: Also was just watching the first video posted above and @drdave walked right in front of the camera. Can't believe he didn't offer to take me along to the show... :p

Dan Hay, drdave, Sancho and 4 others like this.
  16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you!
    Custom Mike's excitement is infectious.
    Great way to start the day.

17. Rand Man

Rand Man

That 27 T with the rolled pan is just it for me. Wish I had one just like it. Guess I should drop everything, fly out there and stare at it for a few days. Lots of details to gather in on this piece of jewelry. Well done.

Stogy likes this.
  18. FYI ... The restored Dick Williams '27 Roadster is not a 2022 AMBR Contender ... it's just being displayed near the "9-foot trophy" because it was the 1953 AMBR:

2022 01 27 - Dick Williams '53 AMBR  Roadster @ GNRS.jpg

19. There are eleven (11) AMBR contenders this year ... Here's pics of the seven (7) somewhat "H.A.M.B. Friendly" contenders:

2022 AMBR Contender - HAMB Friendly (1).jpg
    @FLAT-TOP BOB Owens' 1932 Ford "Ian Cusey Deuce" Roadster

2022 AMBR Contender - HAMB Friendly (2).jpg
    Kevin Williams' 1932 Ford Roadster
    Built by Marcus Owens (New Metal Kustomz) ... Upholstery by Chris Plante (Plante Interiors)

2022 AMBR Contender - HAMB Friendly (3).jpg
    Bruce Wanta's 1934 Edsel Model 40 Speedster
    Built by @hhrTroy Ladd & his team (including @cretin) at Hollywood Hot Rods

2022 AMBR Contender - HAMB Friendly (4).jpg
    John Mumford's 1933 “Sapphire V12" Roadster
    Designed by Chip Foose ... Built by Roy Brizio Street Rods ... Metalwork by Andrik Albor (Concourse Metal Shaping)
    ... Paint by Darryl @hollenbeck32 Hollenbeck (Vintage Color Studio) ... Upholstery by Sid @Hotrodstitcher Chavers

2022 AMBR Contender - HAMB Friendly (5).jpg
    Jeff Breault's 1934 Chevy Roadster
    Built by Devlin Rod & Customs

2022 AMBR Contender - HAMB Friendly (6).jpg
    Ryan and David Root's 1928 Roadster
    Built by Root Brothers Customs

2022 AMBR Contender - HAMB Friendly (7).jpg
    Henry Verbeck's 1932 Ford Roadster
    Built by Patrick Heady (New Age Designs)... Upholstery by Sewn Tight Custom Interiors

NOTE: Images by Steven Bunker or Tyler Clemmensen (for fuelcurve_logo.jpg / goodguys_logo.jpg )

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  20. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

Steve Steers' Ardun powered 34 Roadster is a contender and he's H.A.M.B. Friendly. I don't have a shot from the show yet, but here's a recent one... roadster.jpg

21. 66Special

66Special

Ryan and David Root's 29 Roadster

chryslerfan55, HEMI32 and fauj like this.
  22. While I agree that Steve Steers' ARDUN-powered '34 Roadster is both "Beautiful" and very "H.A.M.B. Friendly," he did not enter it in the running for the AMBR award ... so it isn't a 2022 AMBR contender.

Here's a shot of the car during "Setup Day" at the show:

DSC_0888.jpg
    image by @Tom davison

23. If you have them might as well post all the entrants. It's the one time of year it's allowed and it doesn't make much sense to just post some of them.

24. OK ... Here's thumbnails of the other four (4) "Not-So-H.A.M.B. Friendly" AMBR contenders:

2022 AMBR Contender - Not So HAMB Friendly (1).jpg 2022 AMBR Contender - Not So HAMB Friendly (2).jpg 2022 AMBR Contender - Not So HAMB Friendly (3).jpg 2022 AMBR Contender - Not So HAMB Friendly (4).jpg
    NOTE: Images by Steven Bunker or Tyler Clemmensen (for fuelcurve_logo.jpg / goodguys_logo.jpg )

Moderators - @K13 "made me" do it ... just squint your eyes and pretend you didn't see the tire & wheel combinations :D

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  25. Mmm. A stylistically challenged group.
    Then there's the slot car track.:confused:

26. Clydesdale

Clydesdale

oh my! that Boat Tail Speedster :) stunning

guthriesmith likes this.
  27. Yes, I am here, hanging with Bob and the crew with his freshly finished Ian Cusey roadster restoration. Fun to get to experience all that goes into AMBR completion and blessed Bob invited me to tag along. The car really pops in the room against all the other darker colored contenders. I think he should win…and I doubt I’m biased. Lol

28. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

If Flat Top Bob's DOESN'T win, here's hoping ( to me) John Mumford's does!

29. NICE! Tell Bob I said the car looks great and hope it wins! I agree that it really stands out in that group with that color that has to be about my favorite shade of blue. Glad you get to hang out with the Hirohata Merc as well while you are there. :cool:

Jeff Norwell, Sancho, drdave and 2 others like this.