Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Can't Get a 55 Build Outta My Head

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jasper6120, Jan 24, 2022.

?
  1. Do it!

79.2%
  2. Don't do it.

12.5%
  3. Maybe do it...

8.3%
  1. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Hey friends.

I haven't been on here in a while. I built a 53 Chevy a few years back (4 - 2 door conversion, roof chop, v8 etc) since sold it and have been scooting around in more appliance themed vehicles since.
    Here's the problem. I can't get 55 Chevys outta my brain. Its been 5 dang years I can't stop thinking about how cool it'd be to have a 2 door post as a daily driver. Is it crazy? Read on:

I live in Australia. For a daily driver it really should be RHD round these parts. I figured best to go with a rack and pinion and modify the dash. I figure if I've done a 2 door and a roof chop in the past a dash should be easy enough... I think? It doesn't need to look especially 'factory'. Remember, this is a daily, not a show car. To go RHD I figure a RHD rack and pinion set up, with an LS would be reasonably sensible. Three point seatbelts are easier to fit on a post car, some kind of aftermarket steering wheel and collapsible steering column and front disk brakes for safety.

Cosmetically, a few dents and patina are just fiiiine by me, so long as its safe, reliable, comfortable and I can leave it out in the elements once in a while without fretting about the paintwork. My wishful thinking is that I'd like to get out of this only about $30,000 USD lighter in the back pocket. Is this a poorly calculated notion? I'd be doing most of the wrench juggling myself. What glaringly obvious issues am I missing? Is this a bad idea for other reasons? I would really love to hear any thoughts/insights/experiences any of you may have to share.

Whatta ya think?

twin 55s.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    sidewayzz69 likes this.
  2. There were Australian delivered 55 Chevs. Although all 4 doors and all 6 cyl. Random information.

Jasper6120 likes this.
  3. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

True. I'd drive a 4 door AU 55. Might end up converting it to a two door though. They share the same roof and parts are available.

4. You asked.
    Your description of your build describes a street rod, without the shiny paint.
    In the past I've had a few stock (suspension/braking) '55-'57 Chevs as daily drivers albeit years ago, but were very roadworthy.

5. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Street rod, yep I get that. Rack and collapsible column are just an easy way to get RHD power steering. You have to modify the chassis rail to use a RHD steering box. That all gets a bit tricky, the Australian engineers don't like you doing much with the chassis. My 53 handled fine with the stock suspension after the idler bushing, worm gear bearings, control arm bushings, sway bar and tie rod ends were replaced.

6. Depends on the state;)

Jasper6120 likes this.
  7. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Sounds like a good idea but I'd watch you language "LS" is a swear word hear at the HAMN. But I like your idea.

8. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Haha! Yes I know. I loved the 283 I built for my 53. I'd just do another one apart from the necessity of economy and dead nuts reliability.

chevy57dude likes this.
  9. So you're going with a 283? Can't get more reliable than the 'ol SBC.

47chevycoupe and Squablow like this.
  10. Squablow

Squablow

I've converted a couple of 4 door Tri-5's to 2 door sedan, they're a bit more work than some of the Mopars I've done but it's very do-able as far as conversions go. '55 2 door sedans are pretty pricey here in the US, I'd think they'd be even more so in Australia. So I'd keep your options open to starting with a 4 door if you're really going to try to stick to a tight budget. I didn't paint my '57 after it was converted, I just tried to match up the doors and seams, and others have done the same.

The dash in a '55 lends itself to the RHD conversion pretty well since the top of the dash is near symmetrical, with the glove box door in the center and a speaker grille taking up the hump where the speedometer cluster is on the other side, almost like it was designed with both LHD and RHD in mind. Should be able to cut the original column off at the box end and tie it into whatever steering rig you need to make the RHD work, could use a jack-shaft style slip joint if you really want it to be collapsible in the case of an accident.

Round that out with the 283 you'd mentioned and that sounds like a real nice daily driver that could be accomplished for $30K even when you include either import costs or the added price of finding one that's already in the country.

My '57 has a carbed SBC about the same size and it has been dead reliable and very cheap to put together and run, I don't think that's too much to ask of it.

chevy57dude and Jasper6120 like this.
  11. What’s an LS?

echo ed, Deuces and chevy57dude like this.
  12. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I think it stands for lipstick...lip shit, hell I don't know.

chevy57dude and loudbang like this.
  13. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Hey thanks man. I really appreciate the insight and thought put into your response. The more I think about it the more a 283 is probably the go to motor. Cheap, plentiful and reliable. I did love my old one. RV cam, 305 heads, rebuild quadrajet, headers and 60 thou over, it ran pretty damn well. I’d probably get going a heck of a lot quicker and cheaper going a 283. Makes this all feel a bit more within reach.

chevy57dude likes this.
  14. Heck, for a daily, a more door sedan would be much more serviceable and easier to use all-around. I too love 55 post cars and would LOVE a 2-door, but I've seen several 4-doors done well and you wouldn't be nearly as worried about it in the everyday world. Just random thoughts....

Jasper6120 likes this.
  15. I planning on a daily driven 56.
    Plans are a 283. Keeping the power pack heads. They just look better. Could care less about 2or 3 more hp from 305 heads.
    Auto with OD. Stock rear end.
    Mines a 4 door. Old is old. Door count phobia is an issue for those that suffer from that, not my problem

16. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Nice man. So you have the car already? Much needed to finish it off?

17. Yep.
    Needs rockers.
    Then we make it go and stop.
    Done

18. Squablow

Squablow

If you like 4 doors, by all means, buy one and keep it a 4 door. But if you really want a 2 door sedan and clearly already possess the skills to do a conversion, it's really not that hard to do, and the buy-in price of the car is generally half or less. If you like old paint and you don't want to paint it afterwards, you really don't have to.

This '55 was a 4 door, built by So-Cal Tex here on the HAMB years ago. He just painted the doors to match and blended in the quarters. Could take the paint match even further if you really wanted to.

socaltex55.JPG
    socaltex552.JPG
    and this is my '57 I was referring to, which doesn't have nearly as pleasing of old paint on it, but I really wanted to stick to a tight timeframe.

20211213_230346_HDR.jpg

19. For more years than I care to remember I have had a '55 Chevy post car rattling around in the back of my mind, being a hard core Ford guy that has never been acted on, but who knows what tomorrow will bring, I think it would make a great daily driver, just use a era correct engine.

283/350 or a big block. HRP

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    ffr1222k and Jasper6120 like this.
  20. sdluck

sdluck

305 heads have harden valve seat and some smaller cc for a little more comp.

Jasper6120 and loudbang like this.
  21. Deuces

Deuces

I was just about to type that...:confused::D

anthony myrick likes this.
  22. Glenn S

Glenn S

@Jasper6120 I don't recall what state you are in but you may want to check your states requirements for registration of modified vehicles. I think you will find that most states will require an engineers report for any/all of the modifications you are suggesting, even the 2 door conversion. This would be the first thing I would do before spending any money. ( My other car is an Aust. delivered 55 Chev.)
    Glenn S.

Jasper6120 likes this.
  23. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

I really like the direction you're heading with that project. Looks pretty much done to me! I remember seeing that blue 2 door conversion a few years back and felt jealous. Came out looking great. Your 57 is killer!! Man, you must enjoy scooting around in that thing.

Squablow likes this.
  24. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

You're quite right. My last experience with an engineer was a long and tedious process. But that was V8 conversion, roof chop AND two door conversion. To be honest he didn't care too much about the 2 door job, even though that was the most significant structural change to the vehicle, mainly the engine and roof chop. But you're right, I'll definitely consult a few before hand.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022