Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods GM small block 400 oil pressure problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paleot, Jul 28, 2021.

1. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

I think I figured mine out. Haven't fixed it yet so I am not 100% sure. Motor probably had an hour of runtime total in between cam break-in and trying to diagnose the issue. Bearings weren't terrible, but showed evidence of the issue for sure. Found damage on the rear main cap where the oil pump sits. I think I was losing pressure there. Plan to flat sand the surface and put it back together with one of those copper shim oil pump gaskets from Summit. Then I will put it back together with a new pump and a new set of bearings.

2. Moedog07

Moedog07

I have thought about using those gaskets before. It was strange to me not to use one on a SBC but I grew up on the Windsor series of SBFs that use one. I often consider it when resurrecting a Chevy engine.

3. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

ours was different, no bearing damage plenty of oil at rockers just no oil at sender opening

4. msgt tank

msgt tank

leave the sender out and spin up the oil pump. you can spin the pump with the oil pan off and the pick up tube in a can of oil to check where the oil loss is.