Register now to get rid of these ads!

lurking in the hamb

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by RidgeWorks, Jan 24, 2022.

1. RidgeWorks

RidgeWorks
    from Wisconsin

Yah so, I've been reading on here for a few years and thought its time for an introduction. Unknown to you all until now, you have substantially assisted this silent member quite a few times. Thanks for that. Now an intro. My parents flipped classics in the 70s to get by. My dad passed when I was 8 so I was raised by my gearhead mom after that. She owned a collision center where I learned early that fear of taking on a project only stops progress. So here I am jumping into learning how to lighten, straight axle and build out a 54 Olds as a gasser. Yah its a big beast but its going to be a lot of fun working on it with my 15 yro son. Hopefully I can help someone else on their own Built not Bought journey.

Looking forward to more projects,
    John

upload_2022-1-24_10-14-3.jpeg

2. John, you had me at straight axle :D glad to have ya

3. RidgeWorks and mad mikey like this.
  4. Welcome John. Alot of us on here love gassers. Like Lloyd said, straight axle, and all of us that drag race are on the post. LOL. Enjoy the HAMB.

RidgeWorks and Bill's Auto Works like this.

5. Welcome to the HAMB from Illinois.

RidgeWorks likes this.
  6. RidgeWorks

RidgeWorks
    from Wisconsin

Thanks guys, I'm super excited for this build and to get to better know the community here. The Olds will be an odd one but that's enough of a reason for me. I've wanted to build a gasser since I was kid and love drag racing. I'll watch for updates on that Pontiac as well! Thanks for the warm welcome.

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome! More photos will help us understand what is ahead of you. Bob

RidgeWorks likes this.
  8. You had me at Olds! So, what is the spec you are thinking about for the drive train?

RidgeWorks likes this.
  9. RidgeWorks

RidgeWorks
    from Wisconsin

Well, Its not solidified but this is what I have that I could run:
    Dart Little M 421 with forged pistons, Stef's pan, Lower end is complete.
    BorgWarner Super T-10 Power Brute,
    I'm considering a Quicktime bell housing and would like to build a 59-64 Pontiac 9.3 dif with coil overs.

I pulled a 1955 Chevy pickup straight axle from a yard a few days ago. I wish they would let my son in the U-pull-it yards as he is dying to come along. I was planning on lightening that axle and using those spindles. I just started reading about how to setup cross steer so still need to pick a gearbox yet.

This project will take awhile as there is lots to learn as always.

10. We have been using the Jeep manual box circa 79 to 85?. it works very well and steers with little effort on our A coupes (lot lighter than the Olds)