Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HOLY (crap) GRAIL Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.A.KING, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

What could be the HOLY GRAIL of Hot Rods?? That's easy . . .
    Teague.jpg

Bdamfino, jimmy six, das858 and 4 others like this.
  2. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Wheels.jpg
    Where'd you get those wheels? They look vaguely familiar . . .
    Riverside 1960.jpg

jimmy six and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Norms "T" and Ivo's "T" do it for me.I was lucky to know both of these cars, Norm lived in Sunland so we'd see him often ridding around and Tommy Ivo was a client of my stepfather Lew Sherrell movie agent and Lew ask Tommy to take me for a ride in his "T" which Tommy did. What a thrill for a young kid to go ridding around with Tom in his "T".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  4. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Now, I realize I mentioned a certain motorsports queen as my holy grail, so to speak, but it’s not an automobile. That said, if you’re going to stand there and tell me that the Graffiti Coupe doesn’t qualify as a “holy grail “ car y’all got issues. image.jpg

hotrodharry2, 60Pioneer and SS327 like this.
  6. It's a movie prop, not a holy grail hot rod. It's notoriety came from being in a film, not on a race track, dry lake, show car circuit or anywhere else hot rods earn their stripes.

7. Thanks for that @X38. I’ll be in the corner now.

hotrodjack33 and das858 like this.
  8. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

For me the Holy Grail hot rod was always "Jakes Truck" I tried to buy it from Ken Kennedy about 20 years ago. jakes 29 p up.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

I love them all Just enjoying being back on The Hamb. So much better then social media.

41 GMC K-18, rod1, clem and 1 other person like this.
  10. clem

clem

True, - but it possibly did more for the growth and promotion of hot rodding and the encouragement of building hot rods around the globe, than any other single car.

op asked for the Holy Grail, - some of the cars on this thread I have never noticed before, (like the pickup in post 68).
    (I guess that to some their idea of the Holy grail is the car that influenced them the most, or the car that they most admired).

So I am with @chryslerfan55 - Graffiti coupe Gets my vote also……. or deserves to be on the short list……….

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  11. Thank you for your consideration sir.

hotrodjack33 and clem like this.
  12. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

Actually, Compared to some of the other Customs that have sold at the big auctions this one did not really bring in the big money. So not sure I would call it "The holy Grail" And while I appreciate all the custom features that has been done to this car. There are better looking 49-51 Merc's out there.

13. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Examples?

clem likes this.
  14. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Eh, totally subjective, so pointless to argue that back and forth. Won't have the history attached regardless.

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  15. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

The "batmobile" brought over 4 million and it is also a Barris custom. And there are plenty of others that have raked in crazy money from the hype of these big auctions. My point is this was just another crazy money car that sold at a high end auction. And not the Holy Grail.

16. clem

clem

Batmobile would hardly be the holy grail to anyone on this site ???

17. ... but can't you just hear Burt Ward shouting "Holy Grail, Batman!@#"

[​IMG]

Okie Pete, hotrodjack33, clem and 2 others like this.
  18. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

And one Could argue that the Batmobile was not a custom, but a made for television car.

chryslerfan55 and clem like this.
  19. It is, so there is no argument. Mr Barris may well have been a customiser, but in this case he was hired to make a TV show prop.

I should add, despite the car's origins as a Ford concept.

20. 60Pioneer

60Pioneer

My vote for custom would be Ian Roussel's Space Junky. He completely dismantled an awesome custom because it didn't do it for him anymore.... and then built an even wilder custom. The man backyard made a whole freaking batch of bubble tops like you'd bake some cookies! His ideas are pure individualism. And if being a tight friend with Gene Winfield doesn't give you enough credit, well I don't know man.

My hot rod vote would be Milner's coupe. I have no shame. I don't care if the proportions are off or if it in reality is a rough piece o turd, it's perfect to me. It was a fully functioning hot rod before the movie, it survived decades of abuse, and is still holding up pretty well and continues to bring hot rodding to a broad audience beyond us car nuts. As far as a "real world" hot rod Brent's 60s street/strip Model A is KILLER!

hotrodharry2 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. dln1949

dln1949

Back in school, ( Jr or Sr High), Jim Travis' yellow 29 roadster was in R&C, on the salt and on the st. That old yeller dog did it for me. I had a black one for many years and one more on the list in the shop. But Holy Grail Hot Rod, don't think so. I gotta go with X38's idea.

22. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

There are quite a few that I would own that I would consider " Grail cars" some older cars and some from here.
    McMullen Roadster
    Pierson Coupe
    Chapouris Coupe
    Limefire Roadster (because I thought it was BADASS)
    Boyce Asquith's Roadster
    The last 2 because they were "Race HotRods"

"Littleman's" Black truck
    "OL55's" 40 Ford Coupe
    The Coupes that are being worked on in VonHartman's shop
    "Garage2small's" Coupe and Roadster
    "IRant's" 40 Ford
    And Many Many More:)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
    hotrodharry2 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. topher5150

topher5150

I'd say one of the most iconic car would be the Lil Deuce Coupe LittleDeuceCover.jpg

I don't think this one got enough appreciation
    FL17_r0059_01-1.jpg

hotrodharry2, chryslerfan55 and jim32 like this.
  24. -Brent-

-Brent-

The "Holy Grail" would likely be a car built by one of the fathers (original pioneers) of hot rodding, no? So, that would leave us with Navarro, Winfield (Ed), Burke, the Orrs, etc. There are plenty of other pioneers as we progressed through the years but I couldn't put McMullen's car or the Milner car there, simply because there was a lot of history/progress to get us to such vehicles.

That said, I don't know what I'd consider "the grail".

25. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

Damn, this car is beautiful.

26. Doane Spencer Roadster ..

27. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Yes. Doane Spencer.

rob-redm likes this.
  28. GEEZ.....Doane Spencer Roadster, Tom McMullen Roadster, Norm Grabowski T, Tommy Ivo T, Pierson Coupe, Grey Baskerville Roadster, Stone/Woods/Cook Willys, Roth's Outlaw, California Kid, Vic Edelbrocks Roadster, Original Munster Coach. You never know, cause it takes two guys who want something REAL bad to bid it up. Plus, it's based on opinion, cause everybody has their own favorite. History and popularity has alot to do with it.

29. HAHA, you had to be the first BONER to post their own car in this discussion. Shameful....

30. I agree. Popular, but not an ICON.