Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who or where do I get a custom windshield

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by STREETREBEL, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Assuming your bottom of the windshield is the original shape, you are probably best to start with a stock windshield and cut that down. Hopefully the sides and top shape will work with the windshield. You have pretty serious chop, so it may need some metal work to fit a cut down windshield.

You can try making a fiberglass mold off your current lexan, and then compare that to stock windshield. Or worse case you can go to junkyard and take your template to find a windshield that has the right shape. It may need to be cut on all four sides. But given the more serious curve at the sides on stock windshield, doubt you will find any newer car to work. But that template trick can work out for rear window glass. Stock rear glass is tempered and can't be cut down. That's the reason many chops just lay down the rear, or use a smaller rear out of different car.

2. this may be cost prohibitive but they make new windshields

Fox Fire Glass, LLC

• 3071 W Thompson Rd
    • Fenton, MI 48430
    Automotive: Fox Fire Glass LLC collaborates with automotive, marine, and transportation designers, engineers, prototype shops, and restoration facilities to fabricate glass components to their project’s specifications. Unlike production resources, we have the ability to produce low volume runs and the flexibility to adjust as the project progresses. This eliminates the overwhelming expense of production tooling and allows for the unexpected modifications that often occur during prototype processing.

Curt R

3. 5window

5window

It has to be glass in Pennsylvania.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  4. Just start calling glass shops man! Or come to Owingsville. It's just glass, old school ways still work.

54delray likes this.
  5. 6sally6

6sally6

Check with jakesbackyard (a regular on here) He just finished a 50 Ford Ranchero and he chopped the top! He may be some help
    6sally6

6. 38mag

38mag

In PA it's 7" for street rods, 11' for all others.

7. In other words, the OP may be fucked

squirrel likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

yeah...never buy a chopped car unless it has all the glass, and the glass fits and works.

9. Hellfish

Hellfish

A couple of years ago I called around about how much it would cost to have custom glass made on a fictitious window. Everyone said it was expensive, but no one actually knew. I was curious.

Curved Glass Creations in Florida said that they would need more info of course, but based on the details I provided, they estimated the price would range between $600 to $3000 (US) with 3-6 weeks for production. CurvedGlassCreations.

Standard Bent Glass said they do not do car glass, but suggested I contact Fox Fire Glass, which someone mentioned above.

There's also this place http://www.calglassbending.com/.

54delray and David Gersic like this.
  10. 5window

5window

OP, do you have the original glass? How's it match up> I'm thinking you need a road tip to see Lloyd.

11. wvenfield

wvenfield

I watched a guy cut out a windshield on one of them there television shows. One would think it complicated and granted he knew what he was doing but it did not seem all that hard.

12. Just like everything else, it takes practice, but accidents do happen. Ice will melt, paint will run, glass will break. You don't learn to cut glass on curved glass. The glass company i work at for 6 years had the contract with UPS for most of the time I was there. We'd roll in at night and average about 5 pieces. Phil taught me on scrap pieces, then I'd cut a backhoe glass or something, then one day we got a call to Danny's body shop in Pedro Ohio for a C-10 that he had chopped. That's where it started. Broke the first one, which was the old glass, 2nd glass was a charm. It's a craft, takes time to learn.

13. Slopok

Slopok

EVERTHING on TV looks easy!!! o_O

rockable and gimpyshotrods like this.
  14. wvenfield

wvenfield

I am sure it takes practice but the guy had no problem cutting the windshield out. You continue to note to go to a glass shop and get one cut out. Thread over.

15. Thread over? What the fuck did I do? Yeah thread over for me. Get a cabinet maker to give advice on cutting glass. I couldn't care any less :D I know how to do it myself.

54delray likes this.
  16. wvenfield

wvenfield

LOL. Your answer was the correct one. Go to a glass shop and have them cut you one.

17. 5window

5window

Yeah, it's like the videos I watch to learn a surgery. Done by an expert and if they screw up, they just start over with another take. Not much help if you are trying to learn, especially if it's something that doesn't always do would it should. Like glass. Or knee joints.
    With something in short supply-like that windshield-get an expert. You want to learn-get some scrap windshields.
    Loyd is correct and at some point, you can't get more correct.

18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

There's all kinds of stuff that looks easy, but ... it ain't.

5window likes this.
  19. Check the glass shops advertised in Hemmings. Also consider Lexan, I made a window for a 56 Ford pickup from Lexan, heating and bending it with a acetylene torch held about a foot away.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  20. 5window

5window

From everything I can find online, Missouri, where the OP resides, requires windshields to be made of safety glass. i guess if it's a show only car you might use Lexan, but otherwise, better see a glass shop.

21. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

57Fever1-vi.jpg
    I met a guy who bought this Rich Zocchi 57 Buick. When he got it, the windshield was cracked. He said they broke 2 more before they got one good. Expensive.

22. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Modify the car to take divided flat glass.

5window likes this.
  23. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

You heard right! when doing those chops it is always best to make the body fit a cut down windshield. Having a custom curved windshield made from scratch can be very pricey if you can even find anyone who will do it anymore.

64coolbrez and 54delray like this.
  24. BJR

BJR

That is why when I chopped my 49 Buick I cut the cowl instead of the windshield posts. If I pick up a rock and bust the windshield I can replace it with stock glass.