Register now to get rid of these ads!

holley 92!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by von birch, Oct 8, 2011.

1. von birch

von birch

alright...i found a holley model 92 carb. its the same as a holley 94, but with .81" venturi and throttle body. it was used as a replacement for the stromberg 81 on 37-41 ford v8/60's. I collect 94's and strombergs, but had never seen a 92, so i got this one. at the same swap meet i found 3 stromberg 81's for crazy money. and i guess as with 94's versus 97's, holleys should be cheaper. from what i can find, i got a good deal on it, but wondering if anyone has any information on them. if anyone can help me out let me know, thanks

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I have several of the things but have not rebuilt one or searched for the pump.
    Most leather pumps can be saved, cleaned and oiled, etc.
    Look ove "Vintage Speed for possible parts source...just don't send'em your carb, from reviews on here.
    Believe the power valve is different vac rating than regular 94...will see if I can research.
    The 92 is very rare, because '39-40 60 production was quite low, and the people failing to find Stromberg 81's have started driving up the prices...don't know exactly how high.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I'd have to look in the resto book and see what they say...the number, though, is 922, a '39 number...no idea if full year, late and overdue, or what. Production by '40 was down to nearly nothing and I would expect irregularities, as no one cared about the things by then.

4. von birch

von birch

thanks fellas, some good info and some to back up some things i'd heard before. any info on a rebuild kit? i think im going to use a holley 94 kit and try to reuse or find a new accelerator pump...

p.s.- anyone have an idea what theyre worth?

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

More than a 94 and going up because all the A Model types chasing 81's want these too...hang onto all original bits like jets, of course, and don't mix any hardware without careful; checking. Ford books will tell aperture sizes and which parts to use if anything metal needs replacing...
    Think PV is different rating, so will require some thought because Ford did not rate them by vac level, just now unobtrainable PN's...
    In kits I suspect pump will be aonly part different.

6. 1952henry

1952henry

Original kits had the smaller bore base gasket, but 94s work. I lucked out and got some NOS leather pumps in a batch of carb parts off ebay. They went into rebuilds, though.

The discharge nozzle is different, I believe it is "71".

7. chopper cliff

chopper cliff
    from lodi ca

interchange is there, 81's use a 97 kit, 92's you can sub 94, parts, kits, Holley, Ford, Chandler Grove etc, I have access to an old carb book, send me the numbers and I can look up interchange, but the above rings true.

8. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Will two of these 92/81 carbs be enough to feed a stock 59AB 239?

9. 42merc

42merc

NO.
    I did use 2- 81's on a 59A in an A-V8 many years ago, very poor performance.

10. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for that. So, which 81's are the carbs that bring all the money?

11. Good Stromberg 81's.