Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is the smallest mechanical fuel pump for a SBC?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56don, Jul 15, 2019.

1. squirrel

squirrel

like this?

pump.jpg

I've never seen one like that on a Chevy. The arm is wrong to bolt it on, unfortunately.

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My son used a "Professional Products" fuel pump for 2 years before it failed and nothing I could do would repair it. Sorry but I bought one of the knock off intakes for a circle track engine and it performed great. We used it on Dart heads and it needed very little work to port match. It was a case of $$$'s as a Dart intake was over double the price and on a comparison dyno only gained a few HP.

3. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

I was told to get one for a 59 Chevy, but I still knocked my frames.

4. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Got a 32 chassis pinched for Model A. Third pump I tried fit. It’s the one @squirrel posted in the beginning of the thread. It’s a carter 4685. Just fits[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^^^^ Thx for that Carter # I also am running a '32 frame pinched for an "A" body and a Holley pump wouldn't clear the frame. Do you have any idea what the pressure output of that pump is? I'm running 2 Edel 4bbls and it sure would be nice to get rid of that noisy ass electric pump and all the necessary plumbing along with the fuel pressure regulator:cool::)

Dino 64 likes this.
  6. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Is it a Brookville? Mine is, pinched too much !
    There’s a M before that part number. It’s described as a muscle car pump on Summit’s site, so I don’t think you will have a problem with pressure.

7. squirrel

squirrel

I expect the pressure/volume out put of the stock pump shown is just fine for a pair of 4bbls on a mild small block.

8. Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  9. squirrel

squirrel

that's a transfer pump for a Cummins diesel, isn't it?

10. squirrel

squirrel

that one is also not available

1500.jpg

11. CARQUEST says its for SBC

12. It is if you call or they will tell you who handles them.

13. squirrel

squirrel

huh, it looks just like the pump for a Dodge diesel.

pump.jpg

14. OK Jim ( @squirrel ) called CARQUEST first and they confirmed that while their site showed it for SBC is indeed for Cummins diesel and do not know why it came up on a search for SBC.

Also called Summit they said that they no longer handle the pump but that Race Pumps no longer manufactured it and it was a quick fuel product. They referred me to Jegs who said that it is no longer available.

15. Anyway sorry for the confusion. :oops:

16. squirrel

squirrel

you definitely get credit for trying!

17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Dino 64: Yes it was ordered as a rolling chassis from Brookville by a previous owner who never finished it, and the engine wouldn't even go down in the frame onto the mounts with a Holley pump installed.
    Jim: Although it isn't a "mild" small block, I'm not too concerned about insufficient output, but rather that since the carbs are Edelbrock, they are not at all tolerant of pressures much above 4-5 psi, and it would be nice to get rid of all the extraneous hardware and plumbing required for a decent pressure regulator:)
    Beaner: Yeah, at least you tried;)

18. squirrel

squirrel

I run a fair amount of pressure on dual AFB setups, and they seem to do fine. But every car is different.

19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Summit site was down earlier today, but is now back up Carter #4685 shows max pressure of 7 psi and free flow of 45 gph. Several people in the reviews claim to be running them on AFBs and Edels w/o regulator & w/o problems. Tempted to install one and try it, as I'm not at all a fan of electric fuel pumps on street cars.
    Wouldn't really be too much work to do a quickie install, leaving the electric pump in place,but off and a bit of fuel hose for a temp setup, bypassing the regulator, and if OK, then go back and do it right. Worth considering:)

20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm under the impression if you don't pinch a 32 frame when using a 28-9 body it looks like s--t.

21. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^ Mine's a 30-31, and even it wouldn't look right without a pinch in front and a tuck in the back to match the wheel well. But they continued on inwards or something cause it's quite narrow up front. Also has an "A" front crossmember, but I'venever measured it against a stock "A" front crossmember,.

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm sure it's a personal thing but even the deuce on deuce looks better when pinched when built as a hiboy.
    3/4" (per side) eliminates that unsightly gap between the hood sides and frame rail nearest the grill shell.

bonneville bones likes this.
  23. low down A

low down A

this as been discussed on here before. that pinching the frame is street rod shit. the hot rods of the day were not pinched and they look great

RICH B and thunderbirdesq like this.
  24. 34Phil

34Phil

25. lake_harley

lake_harley

I am running into a clearance problem with the fuel pump on the FED with Chevy small block that I'm building. Fuel pump body clears the top frame tube by about 1/4" which would have been fine with a solid mounted engine. But, as I continued building there's a diagonal tube that is now in the way. I only need about 1/4" smaller to clear, when measuring from the pump mounting surface on the block to the "fat" part of the pump body. FWIW, I was using a pump similar to the Carter pump referenced and pictured earlier for mock up as well as an Allstar pump to compare which is similar to that posted on page 1 by Fordors. Dimensions are virtually identical from block to outer diameter of the pumps.

The engine is to be a very mild small block, so it's not going to take a huge volume of fuel. One fuel burn calculator I found online published by Canton suggests it to be 16-20 GPH. Maybe I'm grossly underestimating it?

I took a look at the link that 34Phil posted above ( https://fordsix.com/archive/www.classicinlines.com/FuelPump.html ) and it's impossible to tell but it would appear the Ford pump would clear if the conversion process were reversed, putting the Chevy arm on the Ford pump. Has anyone done this or at least have access to the Ford pump referenced to compare to a Chevy pump and measure the distance from the block mount surface to the outer diameter of the Ford pump?

I could use an electric pump but the idea of a pump not getting shut off if things quickly go wrong with the car scares me. A cam or belt drive pump would also work but the starting price seems to be $700+ for all that I've found. Yes, I could spend the money of I needed to, but if there's a solution for about $50 or less and some time invested, that seems like something to try.

Input welcomed.

Lynn

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  26. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

The diagonal tube/rail, whats the size , if 3/4 or bigger cut the tube in a way reverse so it will be Concaved, weld back . You should mount engine & trans solid.
    Use a AC delco BB 427 tri power fuel pump will support over 500 hp with 3/8 fuel line or a Holley Red Electric.
    assuming you will be carbureted.
    A ignition kill on steering wheel or easy access to, piloting a FED if you never done it , think about where you are setting , where yr feet & legs are straddling & 3-5 gals ( mild sbc ) of fuel in front of you !!
    My drag ride Altered/ AFC .

27. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

28. sdluck

sdluck

I believe Ron's was the first,but they don't make them anymore.

29. The Chev pump will work (?) upside down using the Ford arm in a Ford six as described above.
    Does it make sense that the Chev pump will work upside-down on a Chev engine if the push rod arm is removed and reversed?