Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Remember Your first car? what ever happened to it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 22, 2022.

1. My first car was short lived, I owned a '32 five window coupe for a few hours but my dad put a end to that.

The first car I owned that I could drive was a 1954 Ford and after blowing up the inline 6 I installed a 1962 Mercury 390, long story short the car had a lot of power for a 16 year old but the brakes we marginal, a lady pulled out in front of me from a side street and trying to avoid hitting her I swerved to the right, ran up a telephone pole guide wire and barrel rolled 3 times and ended upside down in the middle of main street Joey Chittwood style, I was told the car was totaled, the last time I saw the remains it was in ED Powell's junk yard, I suppose at some time it was crushed. HRP

2. squirrel

squirrel

3. safetythird

safetythird

I still have it! It's in the middle of the world's longest restoration!

It was my dad's first car too!

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

First car was a 1926 Model T Tudor, delivered on New Years Day 1967 for $220. Bit rough, I collected a lot of original accessories, factory wire wheels and bumpers, when I sold it four years later it was a 1927 T Touring car. For years I thought the restoration was finished, but it turned up on eBay. Buyer passed away and a guy bought it and parted it out. I went to look at it with the idea of buying it back and finishing it, but so much had been sold and the price on everything just wasn't the right thing for me. Happy ending for the body and windshield, after two HAMBers it made it to TROG, made me very happy. Bob
    [​IMG]

5. wicarnut

wicarnut

I traded my 57 (avatar) for a beautiful 56 Chevy mild kustom convertible, IMO, deal of the decade my way. The man totaled the 57, his first street race, speaking of dumb ass, I wrecked the 56 convertible around 2 months later of the trade, no insurance. I should not cast any stones on subject of dumb ass. I have Been There, Done That !

6. das858

das858

My first vehicle , a' 38 International pickup , I kept for 12 years , overhauling the original engine and transmission initially , then replacing it years later with a 304 International v-8 and a 727 torqueflight . Traded it for an o/t family car when my daughter was born .

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER, fauj and 3 others like this.
  7. Roothawg

Roothawg

It’s in the shop, in pieces.

8. clem

clem

then and now……..
    still in my garage.
    574CBB99-2682-4162-8881-AE63BEC6A282.jpeg
    D8E529F2-5576-40AC-B792-FDC328EF35A9.jpeg

9. My first car was a '47 Ford sedan that was found in a field. Bought it for $100 and towed it home. Put a rebuilt Mercury engine and a clapped out '39 trans in, painted it and put port-a-walls and a hollywood muffler on it. A year after I sold it, I was walking through the junkyard and there it was stacked up with a perfect imprint of a telephone pole in the front.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and wicarnut like this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

11. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Tuck and rolled my 1964 Impala SS in 1975.
    I tucked down low when I rolled it into a ditch.

2OLD2FAST, Thor1, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  12. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

My first car I got when I was 13, a 54 Buick, got traded in when Dad traded up to a 63 Buick. I ended up with a 55 Buick that Dad had bought new. I drove that 55 until 69 when I graduated and bought my 65 Skylark.

13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Destruction Derby participant. 1964 Olds Dynamic 88.

There were some other "firsts" in it.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm still looking for my first hot rod...
    8-10 years ago, I ran this ad on a bunch of East Coast Craiglists...a few leads...but never found it:(.

Still a long shot...but any HAMBers in the N.E Pa. area able to help?

Looking for my old car 1948
    Chev coupe, last sold Waverly NY, now in Scranton/ Wilkes Barre, Pa. area.

HELP I'm looking for my old 1948 Chevy Coupe hot rod I build back in the early '70s. (see pics) From what I understand, it may just be a beat up old parts car now...but I still want it.

HERE”S WHAT I KNOW. A couple of years ago, the last known owner, John Tracy, Waverly NY sold 2 Chevy Coupes, a 1947 black one and my old copper colored 1948 . He doesn't remember the name of the buyer but said he was an “Older Gentleman who owned large recycling business in the Scranton-Wilkes barre Pa. area”. He also said the gentleman planned on restoring the black car. My old car was to be the parts car

HERES WHAT I'M HOPING FOR
    A) The gentleman who bought the 2 Chevys sees this and contacts me.

B) Someone who knows this gentleman who bought 2 Chevys sees this ad and contacts me.

C) Finally, anybody who may know an older gentleman, who owns a recycling business AND who restores old cars for a hobby...any lead would help...please contact me. (a google search of recyclers in the Scranton/WilkesB area comes up with about 70 hits...maybe someone can help narrow my search down...)

WHY I NEED TO FIND THIS CAR. I have been a member of the Triple Cities Street Rods for over 40 years and have built quite a few cars over the years (currently have a 1932 Ford Sedan Delivery). I'm getting older and feel I have ONE MORE build left in me. How cool would it be if the LAST hot rod I build, was also the FIRST hot rod I built?

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings. Hope you can help.

Jack
    48b.jpg 48a.jpg

It probably looks more like this today
    48d.jpg

15. 531719C0-6AC0-4BC4-AA21-DA4F2BC53E9F.jpeg D54AC079-569F-4BA4-942D-34283C96F090.jpeg
    My first vehicle, when I was 13, 30 years later it’s on the road. I won’t ever part with this truck.

16. I am afraid my first car was made into refrigerators years ago. My 56 Ford was blue and white, I put 62 Falcon Sprint bucket seats into it, nosed and decked it, poverty hub caps, and a Sparkomatic floor shift built into a homemade Mustang console. So I knew that was my car that I saw with a bunch of other derelicts behind an old garage years later after I got back from overseas. Someone painted it black and installed a big block Ford engine in it, but when I saw the interior I knew it was mine. It was in sad shape so I am sure it was scrapped after that.:(

17. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

The ‘41 Merc Coupe was inoperable after the trans succumbed to my 16 year old’s driving habits. I was out of money after doing the swap, so I sold the 283 and related stuff and the car went to a friend for $20. I never saw it again. I later found out how rare those are with the fold-down seats in the back, of course in 1963 it was just an old car.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

No idea. Traded it in on another car, never saw it again. Wouldn't want it back, either. Didn't want it back then, sure don't now....

19. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I sold my 1955 F100 locally so I could use the money to buy my 1948 Austin A40 Dorset (which I still own). I never saw the F100 again after the guy drove it away.

20. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine was an OT Chevy. Bought it for $350 in 1977, put about $1100 into it, including the double-bump SBC heads I bought at a salvage yard then paid to have some nice machine work done on them, sold the car back to the same salvage yard about 2 years later for $50 (with the heads on it!). I call it a downpayment on my automotive education.

John

21. I really like that truck, you don't see those in my neck of the woods. HRP

3W JOHN, hotrodjack33 and 57 Fargo like this.
  22. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Traded it in for another off topic car. It was totalled 2 weeks later by the next owner...

23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Well, this is going to be embarrassing…but gotta tell the truth if I am going to tell anything at all.

In my original post I said I bought a ‘50 Ford 2 dr, damaged and repaired it before I was 16.

It was finished, with a complete new paint job shortly after my 15th birthday. Looked really nice.
    My family moved late that summer (Aug ‘59) to a very rural area that was laced with gravel roads and no police patrols. I was in Paradise….drove the Ford over quite an area without ever having to get on paved roads.

On the road we lived on, there was a very tight 90* turn nearby and one day I decided to see how fast I could take that turn. After successively higher speeds I managed to lose the backend and smacked a fence post, flattening the very left rear quarter panel I had replaced in the first place.

Then, the rear end gears or bearings, or both, failed. Hadn’t even lasted until I reached 16. I failed to find a good used rear diff I could afford and I was done driving it. Ended up parting it out and scrapping it before I got my driver’s license. What a dumbass kid will do knows no limitations!

Fortunately, I learned from my mistakes and fared better as time passed.

Ray

24. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

my first car, a 59 fiat i sold to a cute 20 year old girl. i’ve never seen it again since that day.

25. Hey you wheeler-dealer.. give me a shout when you want to sell your current ride! I'll give you 3% of your investment all day long! (just kidding... I can't think of a single car I've ever broken even on, let alone made any $$. But, you know, misery loves company!)

26. gene-koning

gene-koning

I was able to trade that pile of crap off. It was the first GM car I ever had titled into my name, and it was also the last GM car I had titled in my name. I did learn how to change motors in a Buick from it. It wasn't the 1st GM motors I broke, and it wasn't the last GM motor I broke The non GM car I bought after the Buick I never had to change a motor in. The GM motors couldn't handle my lead foot.

27. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

There was, in me, a devil may care person. The first engine blew. Next two were wrecked. # 4 was worn to death when I got it ( there was the question of should this kid be driving )
    Might mention here that from grade 8 to age 20, I was working 2 jobs to support the household.

When I came up with a '57 210 2 door, things were fine with a long term overhaul. Unfortunately, after 3 years a '55 Nomad needed all the good stuff. After stripping it down, I sent it to the Zombies yard.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  28. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

My first car was a 1962 MG midget, daddy bought it from a coworker when he worked at Fiberglass for 3 hundred dollars, I had just turned sixteen.

When the weather turned cold the top went up but it was in bad shape, daddy told me to drive his truck to school and he would take the MG to a shop and have a new top installed.

At the upholstery shop daddy got into a conversation with a man that liked to do road rallies and ask if he wanted to sell the MG. the man said he had a 1964 mustang that he would be interested in trading.

When I got home from school there was a red mustang coupe sitting in the front yard I loved the MG but the mustang was a much better car.

tiredford, Ford52PU, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  29. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Had a 1937 Chevy coupe as my first car in highschool....Blew up the ole six banger and was starting to install a 327 when I enlisted in the Air Force...Got married and it went away when I found my 1934 Ford that was always the car I wanted..... Never saw it again after I sold it....

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.