Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question on weighted flex plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mgb, Jan 23, 2022.

1. Mgb

Mgb

I have a One pice rear main SBC and I’m dropping a stroker crank into it (Eagle to be specific) the crank manufacturer states that it’s “internally balanced” but I’m still not sure if need to continue to use the weighted flex plate. Or if I need to use a standard flex plate. Any help is greatly appreciated

2. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wouldn't Eagle have the answer to that?

3. Mgb

Mgb

I never asked I bought it third party, but I’ll shoot them a message in the next few minutes.

and considering how companies in general aren’t responsive with emails and other communications during the Kung Flu I figured I would ask here first

4. Post some pictures of the weights on the current flex-plate.

5. big john d

big john d
    from ma

use a non weighted flexplate and a non weighted balancer it is balanced internally not externally

hemihotrod66 likes this.
  6. iagsxr

iagsxr

The crank manufacturer assumes you're going to have the rotating assembly balanced prior to installation. Don't assume the crank is nuts on neutral right out of the box.

7. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Internally balanced would use a neutral balanced flexplate or flywheel and balancer. But before getting too far along contact Eagle and find out what assumed bob weight they use when they balance the crank. Depending on the pistons and rods you are using you might be close enough or you might want to rebalance depending on your intended use.

8. squirrel

squirrel

If it's not a complete rotating assembly, then you need to get it balanced, along with the pistons, rods, etc. Tell the shop that balances it that it's a neutral balance crankshaft, which hopefully they will confirm.

alanp561, mad mikey, Mgb and 2 others like this.
  9. Mgb

Mgb

Thank you all for you responses!

ill be going later this week to the machine shop to get the second keyway cut anyways and I’ll see about getting it balanced at the same time.

alanp561 likes this.
  10. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

If you only bought the crank, it'll have be balanced to your rods and pistons, etc...then the machine shop can advise you on what balancer and flex plate you need.

11. Mgb

Mgb

For anyone who is curious or needs the this answer in the future. I received an email back from Eagle, this crankshaft requires a neutral flex plate and dampener.

hemihotrod66, alanp561 and 1971BB427 like this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That should make life a lot easier. It shows that contacting the outfit that made the part works when you need real info too.

Mgb and alanp561 like this.