Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1937 LaSalle Transmission

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 29-FORD-COUPE, May 8, 2019.

1. 29-FORD-COUPE

29-FORD-COUPE

Hi all, I have a general question regarding a 1937 Cadillac LaSalle transmission. In 1937 did Cadillac run the same top load 3-speed as in the 1937 Cadillac LaSalle? Also what is a current market value on a rebuilt unit or one needing a rebuild?

Thanks, Josh

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

By 1937, ALL the Cad/LaSalles were bottom loaders. Shift tower was cast into the transmission case, on the right (passenger) side. The sideshift transmission also loaded from the bottom, but had selector bores in the left side of the case, for the column shift rods.

3. F&J

F&J

Some commonly needed parts are really hard to find for the 37 Las trans. 1/R sliding gear is often chewed up, 2/3 syncro assy if it was hammered by speed shifting, etc. Look at the top of the housing where the shifter fits in, some are broken or welded.

also make sure you get the correct candlestick, which is the slip on bearing retainer/snout for the throw out bearing. The 38-up candlestick has a larger bore and will leak oil if used on a 37 input shaft.

I honestly don't know if 37 Cad is the same trans as 37 LaS, as rodders alwaysfrom day one, referred to "37 LaSalle" not 37 Cad & LaS. A Hollander manual would say.

classiccarjack and ted kovacs like this.
  4. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

What have you figured out since May?
    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

CAPTAIN AWESOME likes this.

5. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

6. cornfield county

cornfield county
    from Indiana

My old Hollander show 37 Cad and LaSalle are the same transmission, 38 Cad and LaSalle are the same, 39 Cad and LaSalle are the same and 40 are the same. There are notations that say they can be interchanged but are all different lengths.