Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 57 FORD Build #2... Glutton for Punishment.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

The supercharger was killed in 58 and never made production... due to Nascar's ruling.
    I "nearly" did a VS57 on a FE.. had all the brackets and stuff lined up..... and the plan was to do it with this car..... exciting yes!.. Practical..... no.
    In the end..I just wanted something a lot simpler.So I stuck with the Police Interceptor feel.

anyhow.... wiper motor.....
    This has been in my parts bin for a while..... I decoded it and its a 1960 electric wiper motor..... fits perfectly onto the 57...... not sure if its a 1 or 2 speed.... probably a 1 ....... need to figure a switch and make it work with my dash ... so it looks factory..... and yes.. test it.
    I have an Amish pal that love everything electric....fixes starters, repairs generators, etc,etc......
    Have at it Levi......

Seems Hemmings says that Ford never came out until 61-62 with an electric motor.....
    Parts#say different.... IMG_9399.jpg IMG_9400.jpeg Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 8.08.58 AM.png

chryslerfan55, enloe, alfin32 and 9 others like this.
  2. Can't tell by either photo of wiper motor but if it has the slide switch as does the tri 5 Chevy unit the stock 57 Ford control cable hooks right up and operates it like a stock Ford unit. They were 2 speed motors.

partssaloon, loudbang, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  3. I'm thinking the 4 wires are telling us there's more than just one speed on/off.

loudbang, Thor1, Joe Travers and 2 others like this.
  4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I tend to agree guys.... the switch has 3 positions when I slide it back and forth.

loudbang, Thor1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. Trying to find a definitive answer to what was and what wasn't is almost impossible. When ever the production line ran out of something, they went to the parts bin and got something that would work. I learned a couple of decades ago to never say "that can't be right". I'm still skeptical about what I see but now I keep it to myself. :)

6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

You are so correct.

7. First appearance of a factory Ford electric wiper motor was '60, it's noted in my factory service manual. Only used on the factory AC, PI and Hipo cars, the latter two as their solid-lifter motors didn't develop enough vacuum to run vacuum wipers well enough, so that's not a common part. For a number-matching restorer, that may be worth a personal body part in trade... LOL

8. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

C&G sells aftermarket universal 2 speed switch for the motor. Believe the retainers and bezels are same for '57-'60 but they would be able to tell ya. Nice folks, know their Ford stuff.

Joe

9. Buz

Buz

I have a 1957 F100 that came from the factory with electric wipers. Not sure if it wold fit a car.

10. 5window

5window

Nice build. It's funny about the Amish and Old Order Mennonites. Here in central PA, they have a couple of shops that are THE places to go for electric parts rebuilds or small engine repair. I took a worn out '62 tractor starter in this summer. Turnaround in under a week, completely cleaned and totally rebuilt for under $100. I would have charged you that just to clean off 60 years of farm crud. carry on.

chryslerfan55, Blues4U, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

There was a NASTY crush dent and tear in the passenger side behind the B pillar and the rear wheel. I could have simply used a patch panel in stock.... but.. My mind was really on pulling it and straightening as best as possible.
    My skills are not up to this but my pal Rob looked at it and said lets give her a go.
    After 30 minutes... it was 85% in shape.
    I was just amazed at my pal Rob's skill.
    Still need a bunch more hammer n dolly work... but its on its way.
    This poor car received a lot of abuse..... in its prior life.... someone either went off roading and hit a massive rock or it was damaged by a forklift.
    Gotta remember,.. you could buy a used 57 custom in the 60's or 70's for $25.
    No one wanted them.

Before

IMG_9456.jpeg

AFTER(so far)

IMG_9467.jpeg

Attached Files:

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

So... more work is needed on the panel... gotta stitch weld it and hammer some more.. hope this weekend.
    Also....
    had some small patches welded up on the rear tail pan.... more finish work will come.. but that job is off the list as well.

IMG_9468.jpeg

13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

And began to assembly the lower A arms.....All new bushings and such.(upper and lower, with new Ball joints too) 66398144016__DC6516FF-17DC-44D6-894C-0B6AE26B5652.jpeg

15. Wow, that's a good solid quarter bottom. I'd have done the repair instead of replace on that metal also. Nice save, nice work.

16. Rob is my kind of guy. Less invasion, less repair. :)

Thor1, loudbang and Jeff Norwell like this.
  17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Yea I agree Guys.....
    Today I'm chasing a new E-Brake assembly locally.... the OG front cable was hacked and twisted into oblivion

18. Jeff, I'm pretty sure I got the front half of my brake cable assembly/pulleys @ Dennis Carpenter. The back half will vary according to your brake system.

Thor1, loudbang and Jeff Norwell like this.
  19. I could send a quality used part your way!!! Hahahaha!!

Thor1 and Jeff Norwell like this.
  20. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Those exhaust manifolds are neat looking. Being a Chevy guy I haven't see those with the fenders off. They look pretty beefy too eh?

21. RmK57

RmK57

Built Ford Tough.;)

22. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

:p

23. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Well...... small victories today.
    Grabbed that new E-cable and put that together,. local guy has a ton of them and he lives in the next town.....
    I get pretty fanatical about Ford hardware and fasteners.... I seem to spend an enormous time,Inspecting ,cleaning, grinding,de-scaling and painting them.They just fit best and are not an overseas POS.
    I think its totally worth the time and effort to do this.... If I have to resort to other hardware.I try really hard to make it all grade 8...whenever its possible.

17.jpg 18.jpg

24. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

So I needed to make a trans mount....
    My 4 speed is a 69-70.... from a 351 or a 302.... the mounting surface is different than my other 4 speed in the 428 car....
    I used the stock 57 crossmember and the 2 piece saddle mount stock 57 trans mount.
    Taking the stock mount.I turned it 180 and used a 1/4 inch plate... based on a triangle shape.
    I didn't have 1/4 inch plate in stock, so I called my pal Rob and scurried over to shop with my template.
    simple, strong and sturdy... seems to work well.
    I truly amazed myself that my measurements were accurate..... Im an artist... rulers are losers.
    hahahahah
    (I'm kidding)
    19.jpg 20.jpg 21.jpg 22.jpg

25. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I needed a Mech fan..... I refuse to run a gross flex fan...Factory is better.
    So while at Robs,.I spied a complete 57 Caddy engine (365 I think)...kept staring at the fan and its bolt pattern and size...... well..
    ....Ran back home and it fits like a glove with room to spare....
    I'll clean it up and use it.....
    Never would have thought a Caddy Part would ever fit on a Ford engine.

23.jpg 24.jpg

chryslerfan55, enloe, Deuces and 9 others like this.
  26. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

And tomorrow we will battle again.

27. Your having to much fun. Don't ya just love smooth progress?"

28. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Oh yea……

loudbang, lothiandon1940 and 57 Fargo like this.
  29. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

That GM part is worth at least a 10HP gain... you're welcome! :D

Deuces, Jeff Norwell and impala4speed like this.
  30. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Another good day today.....

Front suspension is all together and the springs were an easy install.... no puckering moments involved.
    All new brake parts as well.. .. NO off shore stuff.

25.jpg 26.jpg 27.jpg