Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bring back an original 58 AMT Pontiac

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by BuckeyeBuicks, Jan 21, 2022.

1. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

It is too cold to do much besides fool with model cars right now so I am working on restoring some old original AMT 3in1 stuff. I finally bit the bullet and paid thru the nose for a 58 Pontiac HT. It has never been painted but it does have some glue damage from mirrors, spot lights etc. The main problem is the hood and trunk louvers that came off pretty easy but I want to restore to stock. In the past I have sanded smooth and used automotive spot putty but I can never get it to look perfect. What do you real model car builders use for filler? What about J-B Weld or something similar? Thanks for any input you can share.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. I would steer clear of using something like JB Weld. I would be afraid it might react badly to the plastic. Seems like time and patience are your best friends here. It is fun to dig out some of my older builds from when I was much younger and try to update them. Good luck with your Pontiac. You might try posting on one of the model threads where more folks will see it and respond.

Deuces likes this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the 50’s I used plastic wood in a 2-3 oz can. Didn’t react with the plastic at that time and could be primed and sanded.

Deuces likes this.
  4. I use this one from Tamiya. It is easy to use and sand but smelly.
    Tamiya-87053-a.jpg

Sancho and lothiandon1940 like this.