Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***January 2022 Banger Meet Thread - Bring it on 2022***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jan 1, 2022.

1. 5280A2

5280A2

Both of them have anti-freeze in the radiator, have you got room for another car in your trailer?

winduptoy likes this.
  2. railcarmover

railcarmover

Others way smarter than me cite torsional vibration,as Kevin said harmonics in stock crankshafts..Herm Kohnke felt the A crankshaft deviated .001 at 2400plus rpm at center main bearing due to harmonic imbalance,the effect is like a tuning fork.

3. pkhammer

pkhammer

Question about downdraft intake manifolds; The re-pops I see have the heat plate that bolts against the stock exhaust manifold. I don't plan to run the stock exhaust manifold and would like a Burns or Tattersfield singe downdraft manifold without the heat plate cast on. Is there anything available?

4. brjnelson

brjnelson

Sawzall or Portaband, your choice
    Sorry Miles, I do not even have a trailer

ottoman, Jet96 and winduptoy like this.
  5. 5280A2

5280A2

AccuWeather predicts 36 degrees and a chance of light snow on February 19. Maybe I could drive the RPU down there, but aren't studs illegal on MN roads??

IMG_5205.JPG

loudbang, johnneilson, Jeff34 and 6 others like this.
  6. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Checking in.... Hope to go run some roads this weekend in her...

Attached Files:

simplestone, Jet96, Dustyp489 and 2 others like this.
  7. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

OLD DAWG- Why aren't you guys sticking with the FAST Club.? Why start a new one? All the paper work is done!

8. Because They don't have the paperwork.
    J

9. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

They did have! I have copies!

10. I don't know why/how.
    I was talking to Ron and Carol last week and they are i the process of closing out everything.
    It is too bad it was not transferred.

John

11. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I too offered to help and it seemed to fall on deaf ears

12. fourd

fourd
    from Colorado

Winter driving. Flaming Gorge Resort Winter Rally. The A with motorcycle tires and spikes drove like it was on rail s

Attached Files:

13. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

F.A.S.T.- I just don't understand why we are letting this fun, fantastic organization die! I have tried for years to get help and keep it going. I have organized and run 36 hill climbs in 24 years- I think that's enough. I'm old, I'm tired and I'm done!

14. callcoy

callcoy

Steve
    Missed you the Salt Flats in Aug. Was out the first week of this year will be out Feb. 19th for a week or so maybe we could meet half way for lunch. In case the followers of this site don't know or forgot Steve really helped me out when I was a trustee on the MAFFI Board. Steve provided the flat head highly modified engine we put in the Model A museum. Steve has been the "Sparkplug" for Northern Calif. FAST, organized monthly meetings at numerus locations in Northern Calif. I don't think we could have done this and the Hill Climbs without him. Thank You Steve!
    Steve

Jet96 and Dustyp489 like this.
  15. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

YES- lets do lunch!
    I (and Nor-Cal FAST) provided the Cragar overhead motor for the museum. Jim B did the flathead.

Dustyp489 likes this.
  16. brjnelson

brjnelson

6732C9EE-E069-4B01-A149-F87E8F29F4E2.jpeg
    last year I had some understeer that ain’t happening this year 4A2D1A1E-91E7-4CCC-B85D-0C3DD598522F.jpeg Today I winterized my model A Oil antifreeze larger main jets, remove everything underneath the car that the snow and shit could tear off. Pushed the car outside the car hasn’t ran since October, put it the 10° air, the car sat for six hours jumped in, pull the chokeS and she popped right off.

burl, Barrelnose pickup and Jet96 like this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

Those are some SERIOUS studs. :eek:

1b.jpg

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  18. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

We raced our dirt track West Coast modifieds on the frozen river right downtown two weekends in the late 70s. Motorcycle guys were just running 2 or 3 little hex head sheetmetal screws in each knob on their tires. That was useless on 1500 pound cars with V-8 engines. I had some snowmobile ice picks that were about an inch square with about 1/2" long point on each corner. Better, but not like running on dirt.

One of the guys was a trucker, he went to the company shop and gathered up a few dozen old tire chains. We let most of the air out of the tires and cut the chains down to fit sort of snug, then blew the tires up to about 10 pounds to get them nice and tight. Now we has us some traction BUDDY. Pretty much like running on dirt. Stand in the throttle and hang on.

Trouble was each car made so much ground up ice dust we couldn't run more than one car at a time cause we couldn't see. We had to just run for times. The track was an oval and had maybe 5 or 600 foot straights and the corners were only about a 50' radius because the river was only a little more than a hundred feet wide. To get around the turns we had to run so much rear stagger and jack weight on the right front that we ran the straights at almost full right steering wheel lock, haha. What a hoot.

After an hour or so we had the river so rutted up that the times really suffered. No worries though. when we got done we got out the ice fishing augers (and beers), drilled holes in the ice and used the augers to pump water on top of the ice and flood it to level again. Next morning it was frozen to hard flat and fresh. We only did it those two weekends because the mayor or someone asked about insurance... oh well, fun while it lasted.
    This car was mine.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  19. noboD

noboD

It's fun until someone gets hurt.

20. railcarmover

railcarmover

Yes, I can second that...Steve is old and tired :) ....So is Jay, Dennis, Concord Ed and 95% of the other members.. donuts, coffee and bullshit, its all they are good for. Love them all. I'm just as guilty as anyone else who didn't step up. All bullshit aside ,Steve you did one helluva job trying to herd the cats..

Old Dawg likes this.
  21. That is a statement of fact, everyone is getting older.
    I think Ron and Carol have done a GREAT job for the last 10 years? more?
    They may be tired too...
    John

Old Dawg likes this.
  22. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

I "herding cats" the same a chasing pussy? I AM getting old!

Old Dawg and Jet96 like this.
  23. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Thanks again Steve!! Now finish that damn "T" !!

24. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

The F.A.S.T magazine was fantastic and had some great Tech Articles. Early issues are kind of rare, the magazine also has a decent resale value. FAST and SOSS have been invaluable to me as I build my B-Banger

Old Dawg and Dustyp489 like this.
  25. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Haha, getting hurt is not something racer guys in their early 20s spend a lot of time considering, invincible is the term that first comes to my mind. Drivers were tightly strapped into a solid cage. Actual top speed was probably not much over 50, biggest danger would be a chain breaking and slapping around I think.

Jet96 and Stan Back like this.
  26. You're preaching to the choir! Our group in San Luis Obispo had only been members of F.A.S.T. I have been but a "Water Carrier" on the planning and execution committee of the Santa Margarita Time Trials. From a great cadre of good old-timers who had founded F.A.S.T. and established a base knowledge on which we've all been able to draw; Carol & Ron Mosher took the F.A.S.T. magazine (and the organization) to a new level The Moshers could not keep up the fine work forever! As has been observed: NOW the rest of us are getting old (I'll be turning 60-23 in a few weeks). The younger folks are not willing or able to step up; and pick up the task (or sometimes just participate)! The phenonium has spread to much of ALL Vintage automobile building and racing! Having said that; this last weekend as an instructor I was able "Infect" several young people (men & women) with "The Road Racing Bug" at Vintage Auto Racing Assoc.'s (VARA) University of VARA at Buttonwillow Raceway. However, not many of the 100+ students built or maintained their own cars. "Herding Cats" is an apt analogy!

Jet96 likes this.
  27. noboD

noboD

Changing gears, has anyone gotten the SOSS magazine lately?

28. 4bangerbob

4bangerbob
    from AB, Canada

received volume 31 #3 last week (jan 2022)

29. BeaverMatt

BeaverMatt

Received mine today!

30. Got mine last week...... renewed after a long hiatus. It had gotten pretty un-interesting for awhile.