Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods V BELT EXTINCTION

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hardly Davidson, Jan 19, 2022.

1. 55blacktie

55blacktie

You can find the Ford Y-block serpentine kit on Summit's site. All American Billet FDS-FYB-351. It's only $2,295! Be the first on your block/in your club to have one.

2. Budget36

Budget36

I recall the days of the “wall of fan belts”

Recently looking for a belt, I came across a size chart.
    You’d think 21a, b,c etc would be a 21 inch belt and the letters would designate width. Bzzzt! Was I wrong.
    I mean would it be easy to ask for a 42b belt? Then be told “we have it in Gates, Goodyear, etc”?

3. Hmm...I haven’t come across this issue yet at the auto parts stores I deal with. Makes me question making an offer on all the remaining v-belts at the store my kid works at that used to sell auto parts but doesn’t anymore. They also have lots of old ignition parts, etc. that I might consider while we are on this subject of things that have become harder to get. :rolleyes:

KevKo and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

The old ignition parts would be (imo) worth looking into for quality. Belts though would be a connivence thing, as there are many places you can order a 1/2 wide, 50 inch belt, etc.

My advice though, unless you want a full time job shipping out 2 belts and a set of points, etc, just get what you can use;)

rockable and guthriesmith like this.
  5. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

I am running a B55 browning belt on mine. Mainly because I work in the HVACR industry and can get them for a couple dollars, but it works fine on my flatty. You might try an HVACR supply house if you're open to running a B width belt.

6. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

They're designed with low power demand in mind, with high torque and shock load capability. Without that present (my generator is rated 65 amps, and putting all electrical load on doesn't cause any noticable change in engine RPM) and an engine redline just shy of 4000 RPM so far it has been reliable.

I would consider a multi-vee if I was driving high torque accessories, but a decent vee belt can handle it reasonably without having to be so tight it destroys the water pump bearings. At least a regular vee belt doesn't have that horrible banshee scream when it slips. Gaw, I hate that noise.

Phil

loudbang likes this.
  7. I measure, to the best of my calculations the size I need..then off to the parts store I go.
    Quite often I need a slightly larger or smaller size..I make note of the difference in size needed, and buy another belt.
    I don't return/exchange the wrong size belt, just add it to the collection.
    Typically I can find a belt from my collection the next time I'm in need.
    I'm comfortable with having parts in my inventory..bailed me out more than once.

guthriesmith and connielu like this.
  8. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

I am lucky enough to have a Gates stocking parts house here (Fargo Auto Parts). The owner and I have known each other a long time and I was able to do the get close, check, and return thing. Gates has a good website too. The sleeves off of the proper belts are now hanging on the garage wall.

9. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

I would like to keep lots of car parts but am out of room! I have to "prioritize"!

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

So far no problem in finding belts but who knows in a couple years,if the parts stores start reducing stock I will go to the electric motor rebuilder who still has a bunch hanging on the wall.

11. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Before long, gasoline might be a rare commodity.

12. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Being a nerd type (retired engineer) 1 hp equals 746 watts. 746 watts divided by the typical charging voltage of an alternator 14.5 ish volts is about 50 amps. From dyno runs with and without water pump losses, they take about 5 hp plus or minus 5. (Yeah I know, fuzzy numbers here...)

So one v-belt on a sbc charging the battery at full load probably won't exceed 12-15 hp. Fractional hp belts probably won't last, as noted.

Hey I had fun thinking about it. Keeps the mind from atrophy...

Phil P likes this.
  13. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Stop going to chain stores that only cater to newer vehicles. Start going to mom-and-pop stores that cater to the rural life-style.

14. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Fully agree!

stanlow69 likes this.
  15. Napa has plenty of V- belts, at least in my neck of the woods.

16. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Rubber degrades from exposure to light and temperature extremes. I haven't bought a V-belt in quite some time, and I never thought to look for date codes on the belt or wrapper. What do you suppose the shelf/wall life of a V-belt is?

17. Long enough for our purposes

mad mikey likes this.
  18. I never throw away old belts, even if they are really ragged. I can always use an old one as a measuring device when I need an odd ball one.

loudbang likes this.
  19. juan motime

juan motime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So far this little town of 4,800, with 4 parts suppliers, here in eastern Montana, I can get just about every thing I need. If they don't have it, they can order it. One of the 4, charges a restocking fee. So, I guess I,m pretty lucky so far.

mad mikey likes this.
  20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have a bunch hanging on the wall in the garage.

mad mikey likes this.