Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ahh, nuts

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by jerry rigged, Jan 21, 2022.

1. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

Does anybody know anything about this B. M. Daniel nut cracker, like approx. date of production? Or history? A Barney Google search showed a picture of one with a parallelogram mechanism to move the sizing ramp, but not much more info... nutcracker 1.JPG nutcracker 3.JPG

2. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Neat! It would work better if the board were turned around.

3. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

The squirrels hate you, bet it works good

Deuces likes this.
  4. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

Yeah, I need to remove it to braze up a crack in the base. If I don't find a nice oak board to mount it on I may mount it on my workbench...

5. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

We had such a good crop of acorns this year the squirrels are leaving half-eaten pieces all over my yard. The wasteful little bastards better not mess with my walnuts!

Truck64 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I planted two walnut trees twenty years ago, I got them from a nursery making sure they were the sort to produce lots of nice walnuts.
    The nuts are small and have extremely thick shells, so if you are able to break them open to get the tiny amount of meat, the broken shell bits contaminate it making it more or less inedible.
    So now I don't mind the tree rats getting them all.
    I've noticed over the last few days a lot of the poor buggers dead on the road, run over, very odd.

7. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

I think that's called "tree rat Karma". Didn't you ever see the Geico insurance commercial where the little bastards run across the road causing an auto accident, then get a "high five" from another tree rat?