Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Saturday Art Show, Prints,various Artwork, Automotive Related

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wicarnut, Nov 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lil32

Lil32

2. wicarnut

wicarnut

3. wicarnut

wicarnut

4. Lil32

Lil32

artist Hoon Auto Gear
    Car cartoons_0009.jpg

5. Lil32

Lil32

6. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

59CF20F9-4B09-4686-B0C8-B6FF48346113_4_5005_c.jpeg

A Bob McCoy acrylic of my car

At one time, I had a marketing deal with ROAD & TRACK magazine to develop a market for high end signed and numbered automotive prints under the name OLD DEL MAR EMPORIUM in the late seventies and early eighties. Very successful deal until Aaron Brothers art stores started selling cheap posters and ruined the market. I still have a fair collection of high end automotive art. The best selling automotive poster of all times (in my opinion) is the "DECISIONS, DECISIONS, DECISIONS posters done by Rick McBride for Hollywood Sports Cars. Shows a nude blonde, a bottle of wine and a Ferrari. I'll post a pix of it later today. I also have the original art for the DeLorean marketing posters and advertising.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  7. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-1-22_5-37-18.png

Hello,

In San Diego’s South Park community, there are a lot of city approved murals that show cultural influences. Custom cars, lowriders and other street art is an accepted format for community art in the area.

Local graffiti artists Persue, Reyes and Steel created this cool street art on Fern Street in South Park.

Jnaki

When my wife and I went to San Diego over the 6 year time span for sailing around the harbor and ocean, we usually had a nice dinner. Then, we set off to see some street art on the way back to the harbor. The art is located all over the city, including in the tall downtown building areas, as well as the single story buildings, too.

Sometimes we would see some great art and other times, simple art for the masses. All forms of automobiles are/were a part of the local scene. From custom hot rods to custom lowriders, it takes all kinds of hot rod/custom designs for the artwork...YRMV

8. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Another one in the front window of an art studio in Santa Fe. That studio card with the price on it says $4000.....if you can't read it......:eek::)
    IMG_0709 (2).JPG

9. wicarnut

wicarnut

10. wicarnut

wicarnut

11. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

One last one in Santa Fe....41 Dodge in the Railyard District.
    santafe2.jpeg

Flat Roy, Lil32, ct1932ford and 6 others like this.
  12. One I did for Art in the 8th grade. 1268.jpg 1269.jpg

Flat Roy, Lil32, echo ed and 14 others like this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-1-29_5-14-25.png

Hello,

The little town of Vale, Oregon has a community mural project that has spread all over the small area of the buildings in the town. As shown by last week’s mural by artist, Art Mortimer, this one is painted by Colleen Mitchell-Veyna.

It depicts a Fourth of July Parade on its Main Street in the early 1900s. The cars at the time of the era were similar to what we all have seen in our own portions of the USA, from small towns/cities and communities that have the annual 4th of July parades, even as the historic 4th of July parade held in Vale, Oregon since the very early days

“The Vale, Oregon City parade has been held since 1904 and is the largest 4th of July Parade West of the Mississippi.” The cars in those most of those parades are usually the oldest ones and there are some old hot rods thrown in for good measure, too.

Jnaki

Small town America has its own values and history. So do old beach cities… even in funky
    So Cal: The 118th version of the 4th of July parade in So Cal’s Huntington Beach will arrive in July 2022.

“The celebration first began in Huntington Beach on July 4, 1904, to commemorate the arrival of the first electric passenger train, linking the still unincorporated area with Long Beach and Los Angeles.”
    upload_2022-1-29_5-16-22.png

14. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

15. wicarnut

wicarnut

16. wicarnut

wicarnut

17. wicarnut

wicarnut

18. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-2-5_9-29-30.png Carole Choucair Oueijan

Hello,

In the inland, Temple City, CA city boundaries, there are quite a few street art applications. This one should hit home with many hot rod fans. Carole Choucair Oueijan was commissioned to do some different artwork other than street art murals. Her choice was to do some mosaics with ceramic tiles and other media.
    upload_2022-2-5_9-40-58.png
    Medium: Mosaic: Smalti, marble, granite, Cristallino, Millefiori, iridescent tile, pebbles and other glass.
    Technique: Byzantine indirect technique

upload_2022-2-5_9-41-36.png
    Title: What We Created Size: 44 H x 28 W inches

Jnaki

It is wonderful that city cultural groups have the influence to create artwork for the public. This one specifically points to a hot rod theme, ever so popular in the So Cal culture.

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20. wicarnut

wicarnut

21. wicarnut

wicarnut

22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

23. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-2-12_9-37-59.png
    Escondido, CA

Hello,

The city of Escondido has been a great support community for all things hot rod/drag racing history. One of the first world record holders/winner in the first National Championship in drag racing came from Escondido back in the early 50s: Ted Cyr
    upload_2022-2-12_5-53-9.png Doug Petersen Photo
    “Cyr remained involved with cars, both through his businesses (Escondido Motor Parts and his sons' Engine Parts Warehouse) and through his restoration of classic cars…”

Jnaki

The art work done by Jinx Lennon showcases all of the cultural community efforts from the citizens and officials of the City of Escondido, CA. For all of us Westcoast hot rod/drag race folks, the home of the “Crusing Grand” event that once graced the city from April to September, until the pandemic hit with a force in 2020.

Cruising Grand is TBD for 2022, due to the pandemic…

upload_2022-2-12_5-54-39.png
    Fiesta de Escondido

Different fiestas in Escondido all rolled into one mural including hot rods and cruisers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
    41 GMC K-18, Lil32, i.rant and 8 others like this.
  24. Silverplate

Silverplate

25. wicarnut

wicarnut

26. wicarnut

wicarnut

27. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-2-19_5-31-52.png
    Kevin Short

Hello,

Our introduction to the famous private surfing beach was during the heydays of 1960-62. We had surfed all over So Cal in plenty of great waves. But, this particular beach was a “private” beach surrounded by the Camp Pendleton Marine Base. Access was for the surf club members and their families. (or if your were a surfing, U.S. Marine.)

The best waves on the Westcoast were located just up the beach at Trestles, but this surfing beach had an attraction of some sort. It was not the waves as, how can anyone compare these rollers to the great waves just a long walk up the beach. As soon as you rolled around the gate and cliff side area, the place had a "feeling," of just being in the right place.

It was the atmosphere of families, relaxation, some good waves with the idea of a place to just kick back and have fun. We were invited to have access by some surf club members and it was a great place, different but, nice. We met many families and other surfers on the sand and out in the water. Surfing together makes good conversation between sets.

I was able to get over the fear of looking over my back, (aka the 1950s movie, "The Thing,") as I got free psycho therapy sessions out on the water and a couple of days of great surfing with a special person.

Jnaki

Over the years, it has gone from a private, secluded surf club, oriented place to a public beach for anyone to feel the vibes of the 50s and 60s anytime the surfing itch commands. The historic feeling is still there, but the times have changed. YRMV

An older post:

“…About 36 miles South, down Coast Highway, past San Clemente, was one of the most unusual places to surf. It was almost a hidden, exclusive surf beach. Owned by the U.S. Marines on this part of coastal So Cal. It was next to the official coastal area set up for Marines to rest and relax in surf side cottages and use the stretch of beach that ran for miles South of San Clemente.”
    upload_2022-2-19_5-33-14.png
    “Many people took for granted, the privacy afforded anyone in the parking spots at the base of the tall cliffs. This photo was a common happening daily at the San Onofre Surf Club beach property.”

“The collection of the late 40s-early 50s shots from San Onofre Surf Club (private back then) are great reminders of one of the most exclusive clubs in So Cal. The beach was relatively hidden from the North-South Highway by the tall cliffs. The farthest Northern area of the club’s surf areas could be seen from the highway in a quick moment, as the traffic there was usually going super fast. From the Basilone Road overpass, with binoculars, the northern area waves could be seen. But the central “shack location” and main surf break, was well hidden by the tall cliffs.”

“The surf club beach parking lot was given access by going through the Basilone entrance and driving along the shoreline Marine Base roads. That beach was a fun place to surf, with rolling waves and at times, when the big south swells came, it was challenging. One of my most fun moments was to talk to James Arness, (Sheriff Matt Dillon of TV’s Gunsmoke fame) out on the water and surfing together. Despite being so far South of Los Angeles/Hollywood, his family and others from that city area came to San Onofre Beach to rest and relax.”

“My parents could not get over the fact that I was able to surf and talk to him during the whole day. He was a giant guy on a 11+ foot long board. It/he looked huge on a waist high wave. My 10'4" surfboard looked teeny compared to his 12+ foot board. Of course, he was 6”7” and physically big. 10 years later, his son, (Rolf) was a world surfing champion in the men’s division.”
    upload_2022-2-19_5-34-2.png
    "He was the star of Gunsmoke and one of his first roles as an actor was “The Thing.” James Arness was a giant of a guy and was the nicest person to talk to out in the water. We had a nice conversation and had mutual respect for the other’s surfing skills. It was psychotherapy for free. It gave me the impetus to get over the long standing fear of a “Thing” following me in the dark."

ANYWHERE, even in my own Long Beach hot rod garage backyard! (... I just talked to the "Thing.")

Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
  28. milton homan

milton homan

29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

30. wicarnut

wicarnut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.