Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Making custom tail light lenses.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 56KUSTOM, Jan 21, 2022.

1. I want to make (or find) custom tail light lenses for my '55 Pontiac . Has anyone seen a good article on this? My buddy has a resin model business so that may be a help.

2. There was one on here many years ago.

3. brading

brading

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Some guy from Perth Australia did a really good presentation on this subject about 5 years ago, but just not sure whether he posted here or on another Forum.

5. I've seen a couple of instances where people cast their own like @brading mentioned above. This is great start.

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

7. Rand Man

Rand Man

My son does 3D model printing. I’d like to design some ’56 Olds taillights that look like a flame or rocket exhaust.

8. Torchie likes this.
  9. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

10. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I’ve made a lot of parts with resin casting and silicon molds.

If you’re going this way, start by researching the available resins. For something like a taillight, you’ll need a two piece mold, so you’ll need a thin resin that pours well. I like a fairly long “pot” time, 10-20 minutes, so that there is plenty of time to get the piece poured.

You’ll want a resin that can stand UV exposure, and some heat. Don’t want your fancy new lenses melting and deforming the first time you take them outside.

The resins are clear, so you’ll need a die to add to them to get the colour you want.

Mixing the resin introduces bubbles. You’ll need a way to deal with this. A vacuum chamber can help pull them out. Curing your parts under pressure also helps.

Check out Eager Polymers
    http://www.eagerplastics.com/

They sell everything you need, and their tech guys will talk to you about your project and can help you pick the right products for it.

BJR, loudbang and fauj like this.