Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sheet Metal Repair? (What Would You Do)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marlinmustang, Jan 20, 2022.

1. marlinmustang

marlinmustang
    from Nanuet NY

Thought I get some point of views of what you would do on my hood. On my 59 Ford a rust free hood is not going to happen. I found one in good shape but had a big crunch. I worked the crunch back to the point where around 1/8 of a inch filler would take care of it. But the metal is a little sprung. Should I cut it out or use some small hair filler and let it be. The reason why I am asking is I don't want the welds on the backside of the panel since this is a high water area.

2. Can you shrink it a little with a torch and a wet rag?

fauj likes this.
  3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

If you don't know what your doing you can make a big mess for yourself.

Dino 64 and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  4. Cutting and welding to remove sprung metal?
    If that’s the plan, welding will cause distortion on its on.
    It it’s good metal that’s damaged, shrinking can cure it.
    Post pics and we can help better

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    warhorseracing and Pist-n-Broke like this.

5. If you shrink it get a shrinking disk.It will tighten up oil canning. torches are for guys with lots of practice.

Dino 64, rockable and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  6. If you don't want to cut and weld on it and it's past your skill level sounds like the time to seek out a quality metal finisher. I'd take it on for ya but you're on the wrong Coast. Sounds like the first thing I would have done is take the Skin off the inner structure. It isn't that tough, well for me it isn't.

7. Shrink disc is an excellent choice on the right job in the right hands. If you don't know how to drive one you can make Scrap Metal in a hart beat.

rockable and warhorseracing like this.
  8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

By "sprung" I assume it's oil canning? If so, yes, shrinking it in the right spot will fix it. Finding the right spot, and shrinking it "just enough", is a whole 'nuther story! For someone not experienced, I would recommend cold shrinking it. find the right spot to do, usually where the metal kinked when it was damaged, and use either a hard hammer and soft dolly (even a piece of wood), or a wood or plastic hammer, and a hard dolly, to slowly work the kink out. The choice depends on whether the kink, or upset, is too high, or too low. It will take longer to do, but you have more control over the process, and less likely to make a mess of it, as with heat.

49ratfink and loudbang like this.
  9. greybeard360

greybeard360

Find a paintless dent guy in your area. Those guys work some miracles.

Lone Star Mopar and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  10. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I agree with the others here that shrinking the metal will help remove the oil-canning effect. You have to stop that otherwise it's going to break the paint and filler off later.

With that said, an 1/8" of filler is completely acceptable in my opinion. Evercoat and 3M state that the maximum thickness of their fillers should be 1/4", so at 1/8" you're well within the specs of the material. Which is also not to mention a good coat of either spray poly, a high build primer, or both through the subsequent blocking process.

Shrink it to stop oil canning, then 80 grit the steel, then filler.

11. marlinmustang

marlinmustang
    from Nanuet NY

If I have someone else do it then I dont learn. And if I mess it up then I fix it. Shrinking discs seems to be the way to go. Worked it more last night and it is much better but still needs a little help. Like everything else just cant get it to hot with the disc. Wolfs has a great video of how to do this with their discs.

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Can you post some photos of your hood with problems areas "circled"?

lothiandon1940 and F-ONE like this.
  13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

It's a very slow process but that's sort of what makes it work, it's harder to over do it.