Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. cabong

cabong

Hey S.F. J, hope you don't mind if I wander just a bit.....Back in a previous lifetime, I lived in San Mateo. An older friend had a '32 5-window, channeled, hot flattie. I was in hogs heaven when he's let me help work on that puppy. He sold it, and the next thing ya know, I standing in my Aunt's front room window at 30th and Moraga, out in the avenues, when that same '32 goes by, being pushed by an A.D. pickup, belching flames from that big Caddie. A lady had bought the coupe and yanked the flattie and dropped in the Cad. Anyway, that was kind of the beginning of my love for real hot rods. I'd been into models for years.
    Fast forward several (many) decades, and I see this article about a Model A coupe. The more I looked, the more I realized what all was done. Very cool critter, and by the looks of the background, it's in the avenues...... Notice the date..... San Francisco produced some very cool cars, and very cool people !!! model A 008.JPG model A 009.JPG

2. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Problem is the 32 stuff you speak of it not 32-34 it's street rod stuff. I'm pretty sure Joey is not into canvas/rubber lined steel bushings with nuts on both sides and square holes shackles.

A shackles with lathe turned brass bushings would be a pretty nice upgrade.

Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  3. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Great eye! The old "1 cent" waterslide decal is from a vending machine of yesteryear. My dad works at an antique store in my hometown in Michigan, and it caught my eye the last time I was there. I put it on there mostly as a joke to keep things light in this world of high-dollar hot rodding.

Thanks for joining the fun! Lots more to come in the not-so-distant future.

Thank you so much for sharing this. I can just imagine that scene unfolding. I've spent a lot of time in the Sunset, and I feel like it's the perfect backdrop for a vintage machine. Great coupe and a neat article. Make sure to give me a shout next time you're back in town!

4. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Another day, another small update. I was away in Idaho for the weekend playing in a hockey tournament, but the good people of the H.A.M.B. were busy making sure my car will be built the traditional way. Yesterday, I received two small boxes: one from @Nobey and another from @Model A Fan. After all this shackle discussion, Nobey sent me the bones and the nuts for the correct '32-'34 front shackles. I'll add a picture tomorrow.

The second box contained a very interesting piece of the roadster puzzle. Ever since day one, I've had problems with my speedometer. I occasionally use my phone's GPS speedo, but I'm excited to have a fully functional oval unit to run in my car.
    IMG_1106.jpg
    Of all the features, I'm most interested in the odometer and tripmeter. With any luck, I'll dust it off and install it later this week. I also received my rear U-bolts, which will come into play later.

Earlier this month, I took the roadster to an art show opening on Haight Street. As I was leaving, a photographer popped out of the darkness and asked to take a photo.
    C46BC730-DA84-4AA8-ABA4-67FF6886033D.jpg
    (I usually sit lower so that I'm completely behind the windshield, but I wanted to exercise good posture for the press.)

People were very surprised to see the car parked there on a Friday night, and I was happy to share its story. What could be more fun than a hot rod out on the town?

JalopyJimbo, catdad49, 40two and 14 others like this.
  5. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_1100.jpg
    Also, I'm looking to remove these old shackle bushings. Is the best way to heat them with a torch and drive them out with a socket? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and one last thing. Do you notice something big missing from the WANTED list in my signature?

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Heat probably wouldn’t hurt but yeah your gonna have to hammer them out.

i’ll try to take a photo of my “ford bushing removal tool” I made today. Works every time

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  7. Cubby47

Cubby47

Heating those after some aerokroil and outdoors for correct air movement use an old bearing puller and they will come out fairly easy but stinky.

Stogy, J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  8. Nobey

Nobey

There is an easy method I discovered years ago. Put the a perch in the vise, take the stud out, then
    take your hack saw blade out of it's frame and stick it through the hole, now put the frame back on
    it. Make a cut all the way across the metal sleeve being careful not to cut into the shackle, then rotate
    your saw and make another cut all the way across. The cuts should be wide enough apart to use a punch.
    Now take a drift punch and grind one side to make a chisel, put the chisel between the shackle and the
    sleeve, the cut piece will peal right out, the sleeve will collapse and you can easily drive the rest out. You
    want to avoid heat on perches if you can.

kidcampbell71, Stogy, J.Ukrop and 7 others like this.
  9. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

Someone found themselves a quickchange?

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Nobey method works real well, @porknbeaner showed me that one.

I use two socket extentions beat together as a perfect sized drift/punch and haven't found one I can’t get out in under 3 minutes

11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

A new Hot Rod Olympics sport or a Shackle Rodeo. Time me!:D

Cooon, Nobey, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  12. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Great advice, guys. Thank you! I'll definitely give it a shot.

I can confirm that that is indeed a good tool. Kustom!

I just got back from Idaho where I was playing hockey on the rodeo grounds, so I'm all warmed up!
    IMG_1041.jpg

13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yes sir. After lots and lots of research, I decided that a Rodsville quickchange is the right move for the car. This rear is essentially a modern copy of a Halibrand 201, and the people I've talked to who use them have been happy with their looks and performance. I ordered an as-cast unit from the fine folks at @HotRodWorks, and they were super helpful. Once they get the centersection back in stock, they're shipping it out. To say I'm excited is a huge understatement. IMG_4100.jpg
    That being said, they won't be shipping it to me. Instead, it'll be going to Texas to my friend Ben Thomas of Rancho Deluxe. Ben is a longtime hot rodder and H.A.M.B.er who I first read about in Jalopy Journal #2. He and I first crossed paths at the 2015 Lonestar Round Up, and I've been a big fan of his work ever since. Last year, I wrote about his Deuce pickup for the latest Hop Up annual. 8A5FEAE4-CA30-475F-96D3-717BB86ACFF2.jpg
    As you all know, this is a multi-step equation. The other piece? A '40 Ford banjo rear. A few weeks ago, my friend Donny Welch of South City Rod & Custom posted that he was selling the rear that he had mocked up in the Havenscourt Model A drag truck. Havenscourt 2 Gasser.jpg
    Yeah, this one. Donny's dad and uncle were accomplished drag racing photographers out of San Francisco back in the 1960s, and they're responsible for the photo below. With any luck, we'll have more on the truck at a later date.
    Havenscourt Garage Gasser.jpg The other day, I swung by SCR&C and picked up the axle as well as a shortened torque tube and radius rods. I don't think the torque tube is going to work, but I have a feeling we'll be able to do something with the radius rods. Never hurts to have spare parts! I'll take some photos tomorrow.

I'm bringing the rear to the Grand National Roadster Show later this month to hand off to Ben. I also have a line on a second rear that will be used for mockup.

14. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sidebar 14.0: Back to School
    IMG_1137.jpg
    Right around the start of the New Year, I realized that I needed to push myself out of my comfort zone. "If I don't act now," I told myself, "I'm never going to grow." I made a list of my goals and how I was going to go about reaching them. There, at the top of the stack, was a huge one: learn to weld well. So, what did I do? I enrolled in City College of San Francisco.

Tonight was the first night of my semester-long welding course. I took my final college credit in Missouri in 2015, and I couldn't be happier to be back in the classroom—especially one that will help get my A-V8 on the road. With any luck, we'll have more updates on the class in the upcoming months.

That's all for now!

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

All of that is fantastic!

Keep in mind when mocking up your extra rear end that a quick change has the driveshaft/ torque tube exit at a different height than a standard ford unit

16. Cubby47

Cubby47

I used to deliver Coca Cola to the Havenscourt garage in east oak I believe it was run by the Carlisle Brothers. I used to also work for Bruce Alexander up at his tire shop on MacArthur He made “bite by Bruce’s “ Drag slicks for the various crews in Oakland, Melrose Missile, Glass Slipper, Romeo Palameades , Booze Brothers SW&C and many more a fun time

catdad49, J.Ukrop, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  17. RodStRace

RodStRace

Great to hear you are taking a welding course. Get a high quality helmet with a large field of vision and other safety gear, it will be the biggest help in learning quickly.

catdad49, J.Ukrop, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  18. I took a TIG welding class for a semester at a local college a few years back and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Despite knowing how to MIG, I enrolled in a MIG class the next semester to see what else I could learn. Learning and refreshing knowledge is never a waste of time in my opinion.

catdad49, J.Ukrop, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

My welding knowledge has a lot of holes in it. So do some of my welds. :eek:
    The last class I had was stick welding in metal shop in high school in 1962. I'm killer with a torch though. :)

catdad49, J.Ukrop, Nobey and 3 others like this.
  20. Killer with a torch... like in the crowd scene in "Young Frankenstein"?

J.Ukrop, Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  21. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

BFCF6E66-2363-4347-86B9-7AAF79E611AE.jpeg
    Sat in a little too much traffic today, but here’s a Rod & Custom combo.

22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Or use a 33-34 which is basics the same for 1/2 the price...

Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  23. Jeff34

Jeff34

I have two of those I think. I’ll post pictures later. I’d be glad to part with one.

Stogy and Nobey like this.
  24. Jeff34

Jeff34

Here’s a pic (upside down). The “top” one has been modified quite a bit but moves freely. The “bottom” one is in great shape but stuck. Easy fix. IMG_2025.JPG

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. 5280A2

5280A2

The bushings for Model A rear springs will fit the 32 perches. Push them in and saw them off to length. All the Model A suppliers have them. Forged Model A shackles get listed on Fordbarn quite often; look for NORS, the ones being produced now are not as nice.

catdad49, J.Ukrop and Stogy like this.
  26. cabong

cabong

Nick, over at HRW has the magic touch when it comes to QC's. He builds them to last, not make noise.

catdad49, J.Ukrop and Stogy like this.
  27. aleks71

aleks71

welding is such a useful skill to have! way to go to fulfil your resolution !

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20220123_063628.jpg

https://m.facebook.com/AmericanHotR...7188692859/4550013071702230/?type=3&source=54

:rolleyes:...I saw this finding content to share...we all have people that look somewhat alike but many times we ourselves don't run into them...probably just angle, shadow and that smile...;)

His name is Julian Doty and its postwar Drylakes...

Congrats on picking up a trade along the journey...has anyone said Weld Done yet...;)

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    JalopyJimbo, cretin, catdad49 and 5 others like this.
  29. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Yeah, it's good to know something useful. :rolleyes: Just read in the local paper that there are no longer any news papers printed in Nevada and no real print shops, just digital copy. Who's going to make & wear the funny little newsprint hats? :(

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022