Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What fiberglass car parts have you made?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willys36, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Great project. That's how i made the fan shroud for my Mysterion reproduction too.
    radiator fan shruod 1.JPG radiator fan shruod 2.JPG radiator fan shruod 4.JPG radiator fan shruod 3.JPG radiator fan shroud 8.JPG

2. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

My question is perhaps a little O/T for a fibreglassing thread, but what vehicle was that dome light taken out of please?

Got me curious as I have one in my avatar. They were used in the Aussie extended wheelbase GM Holden luxo-barges in the late 70's.

Cheers,
    Harv

Jim Bouchard likes this.
  3. error404

error404
    from CA

I made a crack in a friend's fiberglass boat once... :D

4. indyjps

indyjps

Fixed my lift off glass hood when I forgot to put the pins in, so call it 1/3 of a hood:D
    Converted 3 lift off hoods to bolt on with square pvc
    Made more fiberglass rocker panels, partial door skins/ quarter panels than I should admit to. Cheap cars and no welder or welding skills way back then.

Haven't made a mold yet, read a lot of info on it, want to learn more

Really considering making a foam, fiberglass dash pad. Maybe shooting with bedliner for texture and painting satin, or wrapping with upholstery. Old car with dash mods = no available dash pads.

5. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Bumpers for my '65 Falcon sprint and a bug catcher for my T roadster

endangerspec.jpg ccr01_1.jpg

6. I made a Greer/Black/Prudhome -style dragster scoop that fits over a K&N air filter.

First a metal, plywood & 'glass buck. Then top & bottom female 'glass molds. Finally, the scoop itself.
    gbp 002.jpg gbp 005.JPG gbp 020.JPG gbp 065.JPG gbp 070.JPG gbp 080.jpg gbp 110.jpg gbp 130.jpg gbp 145.jpg gbp 165.jpg 20200310_171010_2.jpg 20200310_171246_HDR_2.jpg

7. Rand Man

Rand Man

Some good stuff posted here. I’ve made various dragster and motorcycle parts and had fun. The most ambitious project was: I took a quarter midget glass body, and scaled it up for a larger, adult size go kart. Interesting technique, could be used for about anything.

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I hand laid this T body, using a friend's mold back in '75, what a sticky process ! 2012-08-22 111154.jpg 2012-08-22 110155.jpg

AHotRod, Tman, bchctybob and 6 others like this.
  9. A junk yard part, I use them in all my cars. Never paid attention to what year they come out of but I do know they were used in all upscale GM cars 80s - 90s? I looked on ebaY says '69-'88.
    2022-01-20_20-14-17.jpg

10. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Thankyou :)

Cheers,
    Harv

11. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Not the best pics, but I made the hood, scoop, deck lid and convertible top cover. these were just skins with minimal reinforcing. Hood with scoop weighed about 6 lbs. Pulled molds from the original parts. The snorkel was made from a plywood plug. Tapered front to back and radiused inlet.
    The molds, original body panels and the lightweight stuff all went with the car when I sold it.
    upload_2022-1-20_22-2-33.jpeg

upload_2022-1-20_22-3-25.jpeg

upload_2022-1-20_22-4-9.jpeg

12. IMG_3051.JPG I had made a few things at work (enclosures, housings, etc), using 'glass, so I decided to have a go at making my own grille panel. I borrowed a mould and gave it a shot.

AHotRod, bchctybob, Rand Man and 4 others like this.
  13. Just remembered I still have a mold to fix the rear fender lips on a mid year vette. My dad had a 65 with flares years ago that he put back stock. That mold has probably been hauled around now for almost 50 years. Maybe I can afford one of those some day that I can use the mold again. :rolleyes:

14. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

My attempt at fiberglass...bunch of swap meet pieces from three cars I managed to transform into a hood that cleared my intake...I know, not that impressive. img_1174.jpg

15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

It's refreshing to see that there are still many skilled craftsmen who still
    have the patience and talent to make fiberglass parts from scratch. It's a lot of work.
    Well done.

16. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I've looked at the roof of my 31 tudor and wondered about building a one piece fiberglass headliner for it. Then I think IF I could pull it off how the hell am I going to get it into the car once it's finished?? It's not going to fit thru the door BUT I did wonder if I could work it thru the windshield opening.

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

78 Trans am used them. I have bought many :cool:

18. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Oh man, don't say that. My daughter BADLY wants a Screaming Chicken. I keep telling her I can't afford one. If she gets wind that the dome light in the wagon came out of one, she'll lay claim to the avatar :D:eek:

Cheers,
    Harv

19. loudbang

loudbang

They were also used in late 80's-90's full sized Fords. Look just like the one in the photo.

20. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I have made a lot of one off pieces. Lots of aero stuff for a couple of Bonneville cars. Some special stuff for drag cars.

Here is a poor shot of the interior of my wife's 1954 Chevy 0B239CCE-0785-40A6-A326-7F6221B98182_1_105_c-resized.jpeg .
    I made the gauge cluster surround, the fiberglass piece that replaces the speaker grille in the dash center, and the glove box door. You can not see it but under the dash is a fiberglass panel that cover the gm steering column and hides all the switches and brackets.

I usually make the pieces out of foam, then lay up the glass on top of the foam, and finally I bust the foam out of that back. This works for one off pieces or plugs to make molds.

Here is a link to a site and some photos of how I built the air scoop for the 974 Studebaker. A rather crude way to make something but it worked. hooley-construction-2005-1.html

Tman, bchctybob, jimmy six and 4 others like this.
  21. Glove box using a cardboard shoe box and wax paper as a release agent,
    shifter tower/emergency brake lever housing, just odds and ends.

22. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Lots of Talent here......

23. goldmountain

goldmountain

On the domelight, the GM version grounds out at the switches, and the Ford ones ground at the light.

loudbang, Tman and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  24. bill_396

bill_396

Panel for 59 Devin SS tribute. Plywood, formica and cardboard temporary tool. layup1.jpg layup2.jpg layup4.jpg

AHotRod, willys36, bchctybob and 2 others like this.
  25. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I built the complete front end except for the hood and hood sides of the Flat Cad Bonneville car. Bonneville cars take on an odd appearance because of the rules that regulate what can be done to modify the bodies for aerodynamic improvements. 165E59F7-0447-4C01-9894-D8A9A2D69E55_1_201_a-resized.jpeg

AHotRod, willys36, Tman and 3 others like this.
  26. Whatever became of Buddy?

loudbang likes this.
  27. I am in awe of your guys work! My very limited fiberglass experience was related to fixing a hole from a shotgun in the passenger floor of my DeSoto... not great work, but functional enough for a 16 year old with out proper tools. Plus kept the rain off my girl friend, so a double win!

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  28. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

decades ago--had the front fenders on my shoebox dipped and i patched the rust holes successfully. back then, i was broke, and nobody made steel patch panels!

fauj and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  29. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The talent here is both very impressive and creative. I built a glass body roadster and seethe when somebody asks if it's a kit car. I just might have gone postal had I built the molds for the body. Love this stuff!

Rand Man, fauj and Bill's Auto Works like this.