Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Friction tape with a bit of “stick” to it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Budget36, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Budget36

Budget36

Years back I had a roll of friction tape that had a bit of sticky on one side, couldn’t find it today, heck, couldn’t even find friction tape in town.
    What should I be looking for? I cancelled an Amazon order because after re-reading the description, it didn’t mention any adhesive on it.
    I’ve only used the stuff a few times in my life, one Inhad to tie, but one I used (still needed to be tied) had an adhesive to keep it in place.

2. VANDENPLAS, loudbang, pirate and 2 others like this.
  3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

ACE Hardware has got it.
    The old style sort-of sticky cloth tape? I used it last year to wrap some wiring in the 51 Ford. Works wonderful!

tractorguy and Budget36 like this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

Damn, they looked at me like I was from outer space today. I’ll search their online site and track down a part number to give them.
    Thanks

F-ONE likes this.

5. Budget36

Budget36

6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]

This kind of goes with the V belt thread....you gotta know the part #s. Because the employees don't.

7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

8. Budget36

Budget36

image.jpg image.jpg
    Yep, I found it online, went in with the part number, found it in the plumbing section…

jim snow, tr_rodder, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks authentic but it is sticky on both sides and in the electrical aka as Manson.
    If any of you”old guys” still play baseball, slow pitch for me, I’ve been wrapping my bats with this for more years than I want to count. I use regular vinyl tape on the ends.

Tman and Budget36 like this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

Ya know, I’m actually using it for a rope belt pulley that is slipping on my valve refacer. Needs to last for 12 valves;)

F-ONE likes this.
  12. Budget36

Budget36

Growing up we could get a double sided white cloth tape from the seamstress store in town we’d wrap wooden bats with. About the time I got into HS everything was Aluminum, nicer soft kinda of rubber on the handle.

13. Back in the 60's around these parts the dirt track guys used friction tape on their steering wheels,I use to play in my uncles car that he kept at my granddads place, my hands were covered with that black sticky material.

I can't think of any reason to use it on anything. HRP

Hnstray, Budget36 and jimmy six like this.
  14. Budget36

Budget36

image.jpg Just for grins I thought I’d show you what I was doing. My finger is pointing at the pulley I’m about to wrap.
    Further news at 11;)

15. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Golf Club Grip tape?

Budget36 likes this.
  16. Budget36

Budget36

Chit, I used to play golf too, but just used Tour Wrap grips!

17. Before vinyl tape, that was the 'go to' tape for electrical splicing. Messy stuff though... rarely used anymore. Last time I saw any used was for some 'old school' high voltage terminations.

A tip if you ever need to remove it. If wrapped with just the friction tape, it's horrible to remove, you basically have to cut/scrape it off. But if you wrap first with vinyl tape 'reversed' (sticky side out), it can be 'peeled' off much easier. And for you guys wrapping handles, you can get a rubber tape that doesn't shed so much 'stuff' and is self-vulcanizing to itself. Use the same vinyl tape trick if you think you'll ever want to remove it.

Hnstray and Budget36 like this.
  18. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't play golf; don't have the patience for it. I just know the tape has been used to set glass in windshields and door glass channels in the past...

Budget36 likes this.
  19. oldolds

oldolds

Like was said above High voltage work still uses it occasionally. I got a roll from the guys that have to cross my property to get to some high poles.

Budget36 likes this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

I have a roll of 3M friction tape...I seem to recall it came from one of the Model T parts places, as a substitute for window setting tape (doh!). It's great friction tape (it sticks to itself). But doesn't stick to other things.

Hnstray and Budget36 like this.
  21. Budget36

Budget36

Well the “dream” is alive. This refacer needs a new rope drive belt, but the friction tape is good enough to keep the chuck spinning for now. I couldn’t stop it from spinning by hand (ya, I do dumb shit;))

Shout out to @F-ONE for getting me going!

And thanks for all the other replies as well!

22. Budget36

Budget36

23. Budget36

Budget36

Just to show it works, old SBC valve. Margin getting close. Nevermind Blue, he wants to be a glamor star.

24. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Messy stuff, friction tape. The old original kind was good for all kinds of things, like holding loose shoe soles on, etc. The goo is pretty easy to remove using gasoline. If that doesn't work, just light it. I can't use it for golf clubs. At my age it's too hard to run all those bases. :eek:

F-ONE and Budget36 like this.
  25. Budget36

Budget36

Now ya showing your age;). No running in golf ;)

26. squirrel

squirrel

some of it's messy, some isn't.

F-ONE likes this.
  27. Back in the '60's I used to load cement sacks on trucks. Thousands per day coming off a conveyor belt. We used friction tape on our finger tips to keep them from wearing through. That stuff was tough to remove even after worn almost off.

Budget36 and loudbang like this.
  28. Budget36

Budget36

Reading your post, when I was searching online for “using friction tape on a pulley” everything coming up was about how to wrap your fingers for mountain climbing.

29. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

This is what I use for that....8 bucks at REI.;)
    736e8250-e70a-42d4-a92e-5e76ceea62d6.jpeg

Budget36 likes this.