Register now to get rid of these ads!

American Graffiti 55 has a new owner!! Real car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mac_55, Jan 30, 2012.

1. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Taylor has to get the jets changed....:rolleyes:

2. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

I think I remember it was burned in a storage fire

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

chryslerfan55 and guthriesmith like this.
  4. No doubt. Makes the Hirahata Merc seem like a bargain to me both in the authenticity of the car as well as just how much you get for your money as compared to an old panhead. :D

Oh, and back on topic, I would also like to know more about the current situation with the Graffiti 55. :cool:

5. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Here's another quarter in the fountain hoping THE 55 makes it's first public appearance, post rehab, on The HAMB. Thank you current owner and Richard Ruth for saving and preserving this car. We wanna see it!!! We wanna see all that previous owner fluff and debauchery in a dumpster.

6. dirtpoor

dirtpoor
    from maryland

The guy in Maryland that had the 55 and did all changes on it was named Wayne Newsome. He use to own hearth and home. He shared a shop with my old boss at one time. My old boss asked him to bring to the 55 to the shop a couple times because me and couple other guys were into cars but he never did. I wanted to get a picture of my 66 Impala with the 55.

benchseat4speed and Budget36 like this.
  7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I remember seeing pics of the car at a show and did not approve :(of the changes, but I ain't anybody..

8. dirtpoor

dirtpoor
    from maryland

Yeah I saw it at a show in MD and it wasn't special anymore just another black 55. I still couldn't get a picture with it.

benchseat4speed likes this.
  9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Personally I wouldn't have bothered to take a pic or two unless it was to show how a car with heritage could/how they get lost. Had to make it his own non originale TLB car. Doesn't make sense.

10. John Starr

John Starr

The late Pat Ganahl once told me a compelling tale of one of the the '55's from this film. I believe there were three '55s used in the movie; the primary, the camera car and a stunt car.

He said long ago he had done extensive research and found a guy who said he owned one of them. I'm not sure which.

Pat said the guy and his father took the car to a James Taylor concert and actually got Taylor to look at the car, see if he could confirm its provenance. Taylor looked under the car and quickly said this was one of the cars. He said it was the car he had raced in the final scene. He knew because he had done damage to it on the first take, and the damage was was still there.

That day in 1971 Taylor said he had done the classic Muncie 4 speed first gear/reverse gear confusion/brain fart, (full disclosure: I've done that, too!!) He did a full throttle launch in reverse, snapped the u-joint and almost sent the drive shaft through the floor. Apparently the under body damage was still there when Taylor examined the car in whatever year this concert visit supposedly took place.

Pat said he had long since lost touch with the guy. Pat told me this story around 7 or 8 years ago.

11. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Great post John. I'm guessing it was the late great Jay Wheatley who put a new joint in it for take 2....
    318AF6E2-7024-43A8-98CD-AE74355B4FFD.png

41 coupe and John Starr like this.
  12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Somehow, IMO I can't believe Taylor got down and looked under the car, let alone drove it hard. I think the story is confused with AG and the last race. And I admit I don't remember how TLB ended. Have to look it up, don't think TLB used three cars, but AG did. have to look that up too. :)

427 sleeper likes this.