Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 54 Bel Air Hartop Rust treatment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmyg_146, Nov 3, 2021.

1. jimmyg_146

jimmyg_146

I recently picked up this 54 hardtop. The car was previously sandblasted years ago and eventually flash rusted so i am trying to kill the rust with fast etch to get into the pits , has anyone ever used it as painted over it? if so I'm curious how well it held up. I picked up a Eastwood contour sct with a wire wheel to knock the rust down then i went over with "fast etch" which created this chalky white which I believe is the zinc coating. I am curious to see how well that i can treat the rust chemically any input would be grateful, cheers!

Attached Files:

2. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Any phosphoric acid based rust dissolvers will work great. Even other acid type products will work, as well, like wood bleach (oxalic acid ?), vinegar, muriatic (very strong and dangerous). The trick to doing a good job, and having it last, is to completely remove/neutralize the acid after it's done it's job. Usually a real careful water rinse, maybe 2, then quickly dry it so it doesn't flash rust again (air gun, blower, alcohol wipe). Some primers ( and fillers) do not like an acid prepped finish, though, so follow instructions, or tech sheets for the products you use afterwards.

jimmyg_146 and williebill like this.
  3. jimmyg_146

jimmyg_146

Thanks for the solid info @chopolds, this is my first time doing this with metal so we shall see, i planned on using the eastwood epoxy primer but im not too sure if it will like an acid prep finish...so i need to figure that out but more importantly is figuring out what to neutralize the metal with i am really trying to avoid using water since i live here in houston and the humidity is awful...

4. jimmyg_146

jimmyg_146

Got around to throwing some epoxy primer on next i will start on body work, i can finally get an idea of what i am working with.

Attached Files:

Just Gary and Lone Star Mopar like this.

5. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Cool car Jimmy, keep us posted on your progress.

jimmyg_146 likes this.
  6. jimmyg_146

jimmyg_146

I was able to spray the dash and door jams and started body work on the right rear fender and im pretty happy with the results, i also upgraded the distributor to an HEI and she started right up! Now on to the driver side rear fender.

Attached Files:

Bandit Billy likes this.
  7. jimmyg_146

jimmyg_146

Thank you! I will keep yall updated!

Lone Star Mopar likes this.