Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Looking for information on 1936 Ford Phaeton / Joe Passalaqua - Bay Area, CA, 1960's

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ironandsteele, Jan 4, 2022.

1. I don't like the wires and tires that are on it. I'd change them too. Maybe the front tires are just to big? What you want to do will probably look good. You know that car might be able to pull off black walls, maybe? But smaller front tires will defiantly help it.

Dago 88 likes this.
  2. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I first read your post, before I saw your pics of the car in question I immediately thought of this Phaeton, obviously not the same car. Good luck with yours ,Very cool find. :) 270574543_225267499800837_425434369780872694_n.jpg

3. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Joe Hocker Phaeton, which was badass in it's original configuration. I think it got dual cowls/dual windshields in the 70's...

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  4. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Here is one more photo of my car. Hopefully it will jog someone’s memory?

San Francisco Bay area, early 1960’s.

Anyone recognize it?

3CA1A0F7-C814-4E55-A31C-13B2B48631AA.jpeg

5. CaptainComet

CaptainComet

I have the Petersen Ford Books #3 and #4. I just thumbed through them and did not see this car in either, so that may narrow that search down a bit.

Neat car. Nice time capsule.

Stogy likes this.
  6. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I appreciate you looking.

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  7. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Life is interesting indeed, especially in the context of this thread and your comment about the Mark Mist. See attached photo, my Phaeton sitting next to the Mark Mist car. This is The Oakland Roadster Show, 1960. Also note the Corvette you mentioned......

phaeton.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  8. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Same show, Mark Mist is to the right of my car, just out of frame. These are Peterson Archive photos, hence the watermark..

1960gnrs14.jpg

9. cabong

cabong

The late 50's and early 60's provided some really outstanding rods and customs. Of note, of course, is the location of the show. I did manage to get to the "exposition" several times before it moved. Such great times were had by all. It's amazing the details one remembers from those years. That yellow Corvette really touched a spot for me, for whatever reason. I remember thinking how strange it was that the short rear fins canted inward. How cool is that. Unfortunately, I was so broke back then that all I could do was look. Later in life, I made it a quest of sorts to find and bring back to life some of these great cars. I'd really like to bring back Bob Mureira's '57 Corvette, as it has ties to friends from back then. But, even though I know where it is, and talk to the owner, I don't think it will happen..... Sad...

Stogy and lurker mick like this.
  10. cabong

cabong

Hey I 'n S !! I keep looking at the NRS pictures from the Exposition Hall in 1960. So cool to see your '36 and all the rest of the bitch'n hot rods and customs (and sports cars)...... When I look at all the early Roadster Show pic's and other shows, it reminds me that back then there was a ton of inovation and tradition, even then. What I consider what I'd like to have now, and what I'd like to have had then, there is very little difference. I did want to paint a faux vinyl top on my Custom 300 back in '62. Now THAT was a bad idea..... Today it seems to be that the wildest, or most expensive is the most popular. So sad. I remember really liking the 1957 AMBR winner, and it was an old drag racer with a nice paint job, and a shopping card grille insert.
    I guess I'm trying to justify not going to the GNRS next week. Was set to go, but had some medical crap that got in the way.
    Kind of off topic, but this is a picture of the Mark Mist in it's last rendition. I took the critter to Paso after cleaning it up from many years of storage, and a break-in, in which the engine was stolen. Mark Mist.jpg

11. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

12. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Big thank you to Rik Hoving for pointing me in the right direction with this search.
    5FC13CD0-6C3C-483A-879A-DB6F1FE15BD5.jpeg

Bandit Billy, Outback, HEMI32 and 4 others like this.
  13. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I just wanted to bump this thread just in case it might catch someone's attention who may happen to remember the car.

Thank you

ironandsteele.com​

lothiandon1940 and The37Kid like this.
  14. banjorear

banjorear

Normally not of fan of the Pines trim, but it looks killer on your Tub! Can you post some engine picts?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I agree with you about the Pines trim. I can count on one hand the cars I’ve ever seen with it that I’ve liked. That said, I couldn’t imagine this car without it. Something about the length of the Phaeton body and the chopped windshield just make it work.

The engine is just a bone stock 59AB with a pair of Red’s headers on it, nothing special.
    AD9D8720-07C0-49AF-99C2-21C116F6C5E5.jpeg

Stogy, Outback, HEMI32 and 3 others like this.
  16. banjorear

banjorear

Nice. Looks tidy & clean. Killer car, man. Enjoy it.

17. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Thanks! Yes, just simple and functional.

ironandsteele.com ​

Stogy likes this.
  18. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I wanted to bump this thread, as I am still looking for any additional photos and information I can find on my Phaeton.

Thank you to all that have replied so far. Anyone else recognize this car? Bay Area, 1960's, that's as far as I've gotten.

Thanks again!

phaeton7.jpg phaeton8.jpg phaeton9.jpg

politicstshirt.jpg
    ironandsteele.com​

19. CA. 280

CA. 280

With a car as nice as that in San Francisco in the late 50's and early 60's he probably
    belonged to the "Pacers" THE premier car club at the time. Some names to try;
    Ed Bosio (AMBR winner in 56) Andy Brizio, (Roys dad) Charlie Tabucci, Jim McClennon (Champion Speed Shop)
    Bill Stryker. That's all I can think of right now. Maybe some others will add on.

Stogy likes this.
  20. WalkerMD

WalkerMD

I thought 36s had wide 5s? Has the bolt pattern been changed? BEAUTIFUL car! Enjoy it and good luck in your search.

Stogy likes this.
  21. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Thank you!

politicstshirt.jpg
    ironandsteele.com​

Stogy likes this.
  22. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

You are correct. It has been changed for hydraulic brakes.

politicstshirt.jpg
    ironandsteele.com​

Stogy and WalkerMD like this.
  23. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Still looking for info on this car.

I did happen across this photo of The Spirit Of America car while looking for something totally unrelated and unbelievably, my Phaeton is in the background. There was no context given with the picture and I don't know where it was taken or when, but I'm guessing late 60's?

Anyway, if anyone happens to recognize this car from Bay Area car shows in the 1960's, please let me know.

Thanks!

spiritofamerica.jpg

politicstshirt.jpg
    ironandsteele.com​

Stogy, Outback, HEMI32 and 2 others like this.
  24. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Still looking for information, hoping to catch just the right guy's attention that may know about this car, or Joe Passalaqua.

Does anyone have a good contact for Andy Southard JR? I'm sure he photographed this car at some point. It may be worth writing him a letter?

If anyone is familiar with the Passalaqua name in the Bay Area, or can think of any way I could possibly track down the family, I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you again.
    phaetonmay (1).jpg

politicstshirt.jpg
    ironandsteele.com​

Stogy and HEMI32 like this.
  25. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

From what I have heard Andy Southard jr isn’t doing too well so I don’t think you would get a reply to you inquiry

26. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Have you talked to @HEMI32
    He is a wealth of information about old Hot Rods and he’s from the Bay Area

27. Yep ... I've been searching through my archives since January of '22:
    ... but so far, still no joy :( ... but I haven't given up looking :)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2023
    Stogy, Sancho and Jim Bouchard like this.
  28. brady1929

brady1929

Your phaeton is beautiful.

Stogy likes this.
  29. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I was a little worried that might be the case.

I really appreciate it!

Thank you!

politicstshirt.jpg
    ironandsteele.com​

Stogy and Jim Bouchard like this.
  30. Love this Phaeton... Chrysler wires... Pines trim.... my 36 had the same wires on it when pulled from
    the garage in Roy... great mild custom... BTT

Stogy likes this.