Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods # 10 Track Roadster Build- Marty Strode

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Nice! Now I see exactly what you were talking about a while back when you told me about this for my project.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I roughed in the hood this evening, went pretty well, for an hour and a half. I start with an ink centerline on the inside and outside of the raw aluminum, and mark centers on the grille shell and cowl. That way I have a guide to go back to, during the forming process, and can tell where the additional shaping is required. The first thing I start with is the slip roll, and get the shape started. T hoods, have quite a difference in the radius, at the grille and cowl, and I go slowly, adding shape here and there. I have found, clamping it in the brake, and doing the forming, with my armpit and hands, work pretty well. I even bend it over my knee. To go further, I need to add the upper mounting brackets to the shell, to the radiator side channel, to get the final fit and trim. IMG_8306.JPG IMG_8307.JPG IMG_8308.JPG IMG_8310.JPG IMG_8312.JPG IMG_8313.JPG IMG_8314.JPG IMG_8316.JPG IMG_8318.JPG IMG_8319.JPG IMG_8320.JPG IMG_8321.JPG

Cooon, Outback, catdad49 and 24 others like this.
  3. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

Thanks Marty for posting, it will help me when I get to making one for my car!

lothiandon1940, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This project will have to go on ice for a while, and allow me to make progress on the other 3 projects I am juggling. I moved it on the lift and pulled my 29 RP out of mothballs on Saturday. Some outside and underside shots. IMG_8350.JPG IMG_8358.JPG IMG_8361.JPG IMG_8362.JPG

Outback, catdad49, brEad and 11 others like this.
  5. The RPU out in the sun! :cool:

6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dean, during the mass move on Saturday, to get the '29 off the lift, and the TR on, I took a few shots for inspiration. I hated to sideline the project, but the Belly Tank took preference. It took me 9 months to complete the tank, and get it to the dry lake, being one of the last customer projects for a while. Now, I can focus on the RP and the COE to haul it. It has given me some time to re-engineer a couple of things, like the possibility of changing to a straddle engine mount, and adding a mid-mount at the bellhousing. That, along with going to hanging pedals, will in my mind, work better for my application. I am excited about returning to that project, it is center stage, and I plan to hustle to get it ready for this Summer. IMG_8351.JPG IMG_8352.JPG IMG_8360.JPG

tractorguy, Koz, rod1 and 29 others like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man that looks rowdy!

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Now if I can make it run !

Outback, catdad49, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  9. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No doubt here! :)

10. That's going to be a fine looking hot rod. I've seen one like that before. ;)

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I think I know the truck you are talking about, I have met the owner once !

Outback, Baron, OFT and 3 others like this.
  12. embyman68

embyman68

I'm overdue to stop by and see your projects! Really love the stance of the model A! Glad to see you are back on your own projects.

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Eric, come anytime and bring the family, it would be good to see you !

catdad49, embyman68 and bymanr like this.
  14. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Help Mr. Wizzard!

Hi Marty. I found the pictures of how you did the inner structure, but it lead to the firewall. I'm going to try to build a firewall like you have, however there's a little bit of an issue. My engine isn't square to the firewall. There's around 5 degrees of tilt relative to the frame and firewall, which are essentially square to each other. Any suggestions?

15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dave, is the back of the block behind the firewall ? As long as the split between the bellhousing and the block is behind the firewall, you can make up the difference in angle by tapering the sides of the divider. img20170201_15133302.jpg

Dean Lowe, bymanr, Hotrodmyk and 2 others like this.
  16. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Brilliant! Thanks Marty. The split is about an inch in front of the firewall. I also just realized that I can still do it like you do, because the engine is solid mounted at the bellhousing (well it will be once it's finished) and I can make spacers to angle the part bolted to the engine. The bellhousing is completely round and 1/4 inch thick steel, so l could even weld tabs to it to bolt that to.

And the picture tells it all for the inner structure. I can do it now... no more than 2 tries....

17. Beautiful workmanship!
    I have always admired your builds and I thank you for taking the time to post them on here.
    Great work!

18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks Greg ! I thought Pat said, you were coming to California ?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    Greg Stokes likes this.
  19. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Just got done reviewing your complete thread for inspiration, and a bit of guidance. Came back to this post where you made the rollbar. I noticed on your layout what appears to be 2 different layouts for the bends. The original appears to be 90 degree bends for the top bends, and very slight bends maybe 5 to 10 degrees to get the legs to the frame. However, the final hoop appears to be over 90 degrees at the upper bends, and then just straight legs to the frame.

I'm going to lay out the rollbar for the Whatever project full scale over the weekend and would be interested in the pros and cons of each option. Once it's on paper I'm going to use some leftover bends and short sections to make a mockup of a hoop, but I'll wait for your recommendation. Thanks...

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

OK Dave, there are only 2 bends in the roll bar. I use a 6-5/8" centerline die, and bend it slightly over 90 degrees. Hopefully you can decipher the layout on my drawing. IMG_8777.JPG

Tim, bymanr, Dean Lowe and 2 others like this.
  21. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Thanks Marty. Yes it's clear to me. I'll only have to adjust for the 6 inch centerline die that I have. I'll draw it out full size and get the angles.

Baron likes this.
  22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It's been a year since I posted on this thread, I have a friend in mind to carry this one to the finish, but he is busy finishing a 32-5w coupe. I stumbled on this picture from the Portland Roadster Show in 2001, when we assembled the yellow # 5 for Lonnie Gilbertson. L to R, Ernie Martin, Rich Hoak, Me, Dave Kane, and Lonnie. Notice the Bo Jones Modified in the background ? Fun times. img20200508_0002.jpg Fast Lane track-t's 002.jpg

23. Super thanks Marty - really helpful. Where have I heard your name before? Ever get up to Edmonton to race at their strip? Rememebr the Regals ant their BB/GS?
    Michael

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I love this thread!

25. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Ah yes, I remember that year. I think my name is on that non winged sprint car in the background as a crew member.

26. Duke of Haphazard

Duke of Haphazard
    from PNW

Marty, it's been great to watch all of the work and details in this thread. It's been cool to see not only the subject car but the other things that you're working on. I'm going to check out your '29 RPU thread too, but just wanted to say thank you.

27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Welcome to the HAMB, glad to have you watching. You might enjoy the Spalding Roadster build, a lot more complicated than this one. Since you are from the NW, you might be able to see the '29 at Toutle next month.

Tim and 30ARoadster like this.
  28. Duke of Haphazard

Duke of Haphazard
    from PNW

Thanks, been checking out threads for quite awhile before I joined, so I actually read the one for the Spalding roadster before I joined - just couldn't comment yet. Is Toutle the Estranged meet at Riverdale? If so, that might be possible. I've read the build thread on the '29 now and it'd be cool to see it in person.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2023
    saltracer219 likes this.
  29. saltracer219

saltracer219

The Estranged meet is August 18-20

Duke of Haphazard likes this.
  30. Duke of Haphazard

Duke of Haphazard
    from PNW

Thanks, saltracer.

Marty, I assume this is the meet you were talking about?