Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Current (2022) sound deadening and heat barrier options?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SDS, Jan 18, 2022.

1. SDS

SDS

Trying to figure out what to use in my 32 roadster for sound deadening and heat barrier. I know everyone's going to tell me it's a roadster, so why does it matter, but nevertheless, it's a better experience with sound deadending material.
    Inside the doors, I'm concerned with the weight of some of the materials that are available out there - the bronze hinges/door jamb sheet metal on the Brookville roadster body are pretty easy to tweak.
    I'm looking at Kilmat, the price versus performance seems to be pretty good compared to other options, but I recently saw a product from a company called carinsulation.com that weighs about half of the Kilmat (.4 lb per square foot versus 75 lb per square foot). The carinsulation.com product is not self-adhesive though.
    Does anyone have any recommendations?
    In addition, do people still use lizard skin first? A couple muscle car building buddies of mine said that Herculiner truck bed liner is the hot ticket before the sound deadening material.

Thanks

2. indyjps

indyjps

Carinsulation.com sells foil backed insulation, looks similar to lobucrod. I tried to buy lobucrod insulation a few years ago and the site is dead.

I'm using it on an OT for headliner, behind all inner side panel. Along with kilmat on the floors. I have not driven the car yet to provide feedback.

3M spray adhesive is the preferred "stik-em" for the foil backed carinsulation.com style of adhesive.

If you've ever disassembled a late model vehicle, most have a block of sound deadener in each door, it's not full coverage, but about a foot square to kill resonance. Pretty easy to mimic with kilmat.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Many thoughts on this. If you want to do lightest and easiest. Lizzardskin sound and heat will be about best... Granted they have to be sprayed. If you wanting sound deadening only for doors and floor, then you could do strips of killmat, dynamat, fatmat etc they are all about the same... Strips work well and you honestly don't need a complete coverage of the butyl backed foil stuff... Some of the cheaper stuff seems to have a weaker adhesive than dynamat for some reason, and cold weather makes it worse also... If you find the adhesive is not doing well, take some lacquer thinner on a shop towel and wipe the adhesive surface with it.... Now to really deaden things, dynamat makes some stuff called dynaliner, its a non moisture holding foam, this is a great heat and extra sound deadener I did the doors in my 56 pickup with this stuff, its downright amazing that I can now talk too loud going down the freeway with the windows shut. Hope this helps...

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  4. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I use foil back hvac duct insulation. It's easy to cut, super light and is $25 per roll. It does absorb water though. I use it on doors and things, just not the floor.

Bill's Auto Works likes this.

5. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Lobucrod is an Alliance member and I can vouch for the effiency of his product. It works and is very light weight.

6. Many folks use a Lizard Skin type product before the Dynamat product, many don't. I do not & have very good luck with Fatmat purchased off of ebay on several of my cars.

The adhesive backed HVAC stuff sold at Home Depot/Lowes/etc is definitely a cheaper way to go & does work.

Since Lobucrod is an alliance member here, I would definitely reach out to them first!

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/
    IMG_20191127_164752695_HDR (800x450).jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. NoSurf

NoSurf

I used Fatmat on my '57 wagon as suggested by Roothawg. Ordered through Amazon.

8. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Cosmo49, Squablow and chargin03 like this.
  9. chop&drop

chop&drop

I’m going to put Dynamat Xtreme in my 5 window. I’ve used it before and have been very happy with the results. It’s not cheap.

10. safetythird

safetythird

I sprayed lizardskin in my last project and was very happy with how well it covered/worked.

I'll be using it on my future projects.

mcsfabrication likes this.
  11. indyjps

indyjps

Lobucrod
    Lobucrod.com The site no longer exists. Well, it exists, but it's for an Australian call center.

@Lobucrod I see your last traffic was Dec 2020. If you log in can you clarify.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  12. indyjps

indyjps

I've not installed the kilmat in the floor of my current project. I'm considering a combo of lizard skin and kilmat. May not be full application, but more restricted to firewall.

My reservations with lizard skin, if it needs to be removed for any reason. The kilmat will scrape up dry ice helps it fracture as well, if removal is required.

Any combo applications or experience having to remove lizard skin are appreciated.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  13. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I thought I read here Lobucrod has retired. EZcool I think is the name if his product..

14. indyjps

indyjps

Let's figure this out.
    1) Lobucrod no longer sells insulation, the site is dead. His last post was Dec2020.
    2) EZ Kool has no Google hits as insulation. ezkool.com is a site for killer robots :eek:
    3) EZ COOL is a foil backed insulation product available thru Amazon and other retailers.

Menards, Home Depot, Amazon all sell double sided foil insulation intended to insulate duct work, most are bubble wrap filled, 1 was a light foam core.

Is there any difference in these products ? Are they comparable to what lobucrod used to sell.

15. deuceman32

deuceman32

I have had really good performance from Dynamat Extreme. The idea of Lizardskin appeals to me but I wonder what it would be like to remove in case a guy wanted to go back in and change something or weld on something that was coated. I know I can get the butyl off and cleaned up if I need to.

16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

My understanding is that Lizard skin is basically latex paint with micro ceramic spheres mixed in. There is a thread here on the HAMB where the poster showed how to mix this up and apply it yourself. I haven't tried to remove Lizard Skin, but usually latex paint is not so hard to remove if you need to. It usually peels off pretty easy.

deuceman32 likes this.
  17. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I'm currently n the process of installing Dynamat Xtreme throughout my 46 Olds sedanette project. Measure twice, cut once to avoid any wastage: due to size of car I'm on my 3rd box! As stated, it's not cheap however it's a quality product and will do the jobs of minimising heat and keeping things quiet. I installed a cheaper version years ago throughout my 35 Chevy tub and so far it's held up well to the test of time (15yrs+). In saying that, proper surface preparation is the key to adhesion and longevity (Success). I'd guarantee that a 32 body is a LOT easier and less time consuming to do than a 46 Olds!;)
    271653238_1611278259264586_4389857513163186928_n.jpg

18. indyjps

indyjps

Yep, I've read multiple homemade lizard skin recipes, spent way too much time learning about microbead types and where to buy them :D

Blues4U likes this.
  19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

20. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

On my 428 57...I used this.... it was 20bucks a pack(Canadian) and is used by GM..... serves well on sound deadening AND heat....
    Easy to cut and forms well...but a heat gun is needed to keep in place.
    I bought 10 packs and it did the 57 easy.To remove ...use a heat gun.Its paintable as well.

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 6.00.12 PM.png

21. Lowbucrod was selling Low E brand insulation. It was great. I haven't found another source for it. The closest I have found is by US Energy Products sold on Amazon. It is 1/4" thick where Low E was 3/16" thick. One of the HAMB members did a test of panels coated with Lizard skin versus bare with a infrared thermal temp gun and found that while it does offer sound deadening, it's thermal properties were almost nonexistant. I have found the same thing with commercial and home made ceramic insulation which is what that product is. I have used the following sound mat: Ram Audio, Thermotec and Siless. No complaints on any of them. They have different prices but seem to be very close in sound qualities.

indyjps likes this.
  22. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used Lizard Skin. Very happy with the results.

safetythird and Pass The Torch like this.
  23. Squablow

Squablow

This is what I've been using in all of my cars since someone mentioned it here on the HAMB like 10 or 15 years ago (may have been Butt Reynolds, back when he went by that handle) and I've been really happy with it. It's way cheaper than any of the other stuff and I'm not convinced that the name brand stuff is any different. It's not absorbent and it's not bubble wrap, it's got a very sticky tar like stuff on one side and foil on the other. It's relatively thin, not a bad idea to double it up in certain places on the floor.

We used it in my girlfriend's 51 Chevy, and that one we had already driven without it. The difference in sound and heat was immediately noticeable. It seems to have held up really well in my other cars too, it never melted into goop like I've seen some of the name brand stuff do.

SEAAIRE354, Blues4U and A Boner like this.
  24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

These are old cars. I don`t use any other than carpet pad on the floors. Buy a better heater and buy a better air conditioner. As for the noise. Be happy you can hear good. If the roads are bumpy, do you upgrade to Mustang II . Everybody is going soft. I haven`t had a heater or air or radio in my car for 60 thousand miles.

25. indyjps

indyjps

@Squablow that's a rubber type insulation with a foil backer. Similar to dynamat, Fatman, killmat etc. The rubber is supposedly different in the name brand. It accomplishes the same thing if you don't get outgassing etc.

The double sided foil, with bubble wrap in between is what lobucrod sold. It's similar to many products offered for duct insulation. Can get similar at home improvement stores.

@wfo guy I agree on what lobucrod sold, it's very thin. I bought some as he was getting out of it. I've used the home improvement version on my daily since I was pulling the door panels - added some extra insulation. There is a difference in thickness.

26. gene-koning

gene-koning

I've used the NOICO stuff on the last 3 vehicles. I used the .080 stuff. You can get it with a silver foil or a black foil for $2 more per box (36sqft). I like the black foil, it doesn't have a name plastered all over the foil part, so I don't have to cover it up right away. I cover the entire inside of the vehicle with it except the inside of the doors, you have to roll it tight against the metal, and rolling inside the doors is a pain. Makes a huge difference in the noise level, and helps a lot with heat transfer.

27. safetythird

safetythird

Well, given that a tree killed the car I sprayed the lizardskin in, and I'll be romming that thing for the running gear, I'll see how hard it is to remove, because it sure doesn't matter anymore.

It might be a year though.

I tried that stuff and it only lived up to the first half of it's name. for me. It peeled, but in no way would stay stuck to anything I tried to stick it to. Might have been too many steps for me.

Well, you're in luck, because I'm building the car I want for me, not you.

deuceman32 and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  28. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I tend to go overboard sometimes. For the Comet we sprayed both sound and heat formulas of Lizard Skin on the bottom of the floor and the inside floor, also the quarter panels and doors. During final assembly I also installed Hush Mat on the interior floor and fire wall. The results were worth the cost and labor, no heat penetrates the floor and the sound is better than it was. (The engine/ header combination sound is difficult to muffle)

29. kilohertz

kilohertz
    from Vernon, BC

Hi Jeff,

Which supplier did you find this at? Lordco is listed but they have never stocked it in BC. Napa has it but even with dealer discount it's $46 per pack.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  30. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

At the risk of sounding like an ignorant doofus, has anyone used the bubble-wrap insulation used on metal buildings? Vinyl-like foil on one side, white on the other, various thicknesses and RF factors, comes in big rolls for fairly cheap. Probably wouldn't work for floors, but behind headliners and doors it might, and it would be waterproof. Is this the stuff someone mentioned that Lobucrod sold?