Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical EVERYTHING YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT TRANSMISSIONS BUT WAS AFRAID TO ASK

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 17, 2022.

1. squirrel

squirrel

The 833 was a normal 4 speed...the NV833 and 440 was an overdrive version of it. They turned 3rd into OD, and spread the ratios of the other gears.

So no, it might look similar, and might even bolt in, but it's not the same thing as an old 833

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Two cars with four speeds so my vote is three pedals.
    20180507_083849.jpg

3. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I've had ( and have) 350 turbos, 400 turbos, 3 speeds, 4 speeds, etc. All behind BBC, SBC, Blown SBC, etc.

As long as it's fun to drive, accelerates hard and goes fast, I haven't cared. Match the trans with the motor, the
    rear end gear ratio and weight of the car. Then go have fun.

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. '34 Ratrod

'34 Ratrod

Muncie M20 behind a 322 nailhead.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. aerospace_adams

aerospace_adams

Avatar channeled '32 is going back together with its LaSalle 3-speed - same one that was in it in the late '50s.

I am also building a sister car (another '32 3 window but a highboy) using a WC Camaro T5 5-speed with an S-10 tail housing.

My '48 Buick has a slushbox if I get tired of either of the 3-pedal cars.

6. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

The cable clutch beats what exactly ???????

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

The 440/ od , That's one trans that's hard to find , love to have one !

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. Yeah, Trent...that T-5 [from an S-10 at u-pull it] worked really great behind the stock 59-AB in the old 33 pickup even when I was trying to follow Ryan's 38 on the Kansas City freeway .....remember that? The motor/transmission was a lot better than the old suspension but we[me, you and Scotty] were able to keep up...barely. Great times!
    Ryan's sweetie took the photo from the passenger's side of Ryan's 38 33atspeed.jpg

9. The hassle of making the linkage work correctly or a hydraulic clutch set up, the cable clutch can be depressed with 2 fingers, it's extremely soft.

The reference to the old school Hayes clutches where you had to have a strong left leg. HRP

10. jaracer

jaracer

My Model A has the Turbo 400 that was bolted to the 401 nailhead at the factory. It came from a 65 Electra I bought for $800 and drove it home. I was going to use the rear end from the Buick in the Model A, but the guy at Dutchman Axle advised against it since the wheel bearings were obsolete. I ended up with a 9 inch out of a 64 T-Bird, 3.00:1 ratio (the Buick had a 3.08:1). The Turbo 400 is the smoothest shifting transmission on light throttle that I ever drove. You can just barely feel it shift but it becomes pretty positive if you get on the throttle. What I do feel around town is the stator shifting to the low stall position. old buick.jpg

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

1973, my 'new' '55 F100 got a fresh 350 ('69 'Vette) backed up with a Buick Muncie 4 speed, with a solid tailshaft flange. Driveshaft had to be fabricated with a center slip, so got tired of waiting, had to move the truck around.
    '66 Chev donated a 350 T.H. trans, threw it in there for the time being... Chev Monte Carlo driveline fit perfectly.
    Never quite got around to installing my 354" Chrysler hemi with '37 LaSalle trans, so the SBC and 350 T.H. is still in there, to 'move it around'.
    (13.20 @ 112 MPH at Baylands last time I 'moved it around'...)

12. Truckedup

Truckedup

A solid five speed like a Tremac....Got my license in 64, never owned a car with an auto gearbox..My wife also prefers a manual..

Ned Ludd, alanp561 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. We were like a stone skipping across a pond, a wild ride. @Ryan really did drive like a hoodlum!

14. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Built a few 40's with snotty 327's, turbo 350's, 1800 stall and 3.0 or 3.25 rear-- nice combo. Had a 57 Fuely with 3 spd close ratio and 3.70 posi--fun driver. Currently have a 40 with a flathead and 3 spd with a Columbia-also fun to drive and easy to shift as well.

15. goldmountain

goldmountain

My dumb transmission question. If I convert my Austin into an electric car, do I even need a transmission and will I be vilified here?

16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Its all a matter of leverage...

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Loathed !!

18. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Avatar has a 327, with a TH350/Hurst floorshift behind it. Drives nice, and has held the abuse so far.

I also own the ute and sedan versions. They still have the factory GM Holden non-synchro 3-on-the-tree with 138ci of inline six in both. Kids learnt to drive in them, and learned quick that when power is low, you need to row back and forth through the gears. They learned to balance a clutch on hills without burning clutch plates. Combined with non-boosted drum brakes, they learned to scan ahead in traffic and brake early/leave distance too.

Those 3-speeds are fairly hardy, but eventually either spit out the synchro retaining rings, or chew the bearings out. Number One Son was driving when the sedan 2nd synchro failed... he has his first lesson on gearbox overhaul coming. Nice and simple to learn on.

The cars also came out with the first GM Holden autos - we borrowed the Rotohydamatic (Slim Jim) in '62. You need muscle to bench press one of those things in. No hot-up parts available for the hydra that I know of (but could be wrong).

Those two cars are a real mechanical experience to drive. It becomes intuitive, but still feels good to drive something that has not been ergonomic'ed to the point of boring.

Cheers,
    Harv

19. In 1974 I was involved in a wreck on my 1956 HD and I sustained multiple features and compound fracture to my ankle, subsequently I have a slight handicap thus the easiest clutch ( less force ) works for me. HRP

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Good point Bob, that's generally my default stand also.
    I did put a Turbo 350 in my 66 Suburban, has a hot 355 small block but not that hot.
    It's been said many times by folks here that the knees and hips make the decision easier.
    That may have been why I chose a Centerforce clutch for my roadster as the ease of operation is one of their selling points.
    Edit
    Just like Danny said^^^^^^^

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  21. squirrel

squirrel

I expect that depends on what motor and control system you use.

And if you don't tell us, we won't know, and won't vilify you.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. I’m using a th400 cause it’s cheap. Then added a DNE2 overdrive.
    My current daily is 3 on the tree. no issues but....
    Both would be different if I owned a magic wand.
    I agree with the bossman here. Newer transmissions are cool.
    Parts selection for me depends on the available parts and pieces I have on hand. 2 pedals? 3? Who cares
    Crap my 49 has 4 pedals

23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

302 with an AOD. Could have as easy had been a C4, just couldn’t find my C4 core at the time, the AOD was in sight so it got used. 3:00 gear right now, will probably stick the 3:55 I have in sooner or later. Gonna have to wait until warmer weather so I can get a new driveshaft built.

24. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

One question I have been afraid to ask... I did my homework, but individual manufacturer names and dates are varied.

I think this is correct:

"The GM Roto Hydramatic came out in two models. The Model 10, and the Model 5. The Aussie EK, EJ and EH Holdens (1962-1965) used the Model 5. The B&M Hydrostick is suitable for the Model 10, and not the Model 5".

Views?

There is a part of me that would love to use an Aussie Model 5 in my signature line project, but if a Hydrostick would not work it would not be feasible.

Cheers,
    Harv

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 6-speed in my Falcon. It is awesome.

It is like having dragstrip gears, and freeway gears, in the same car, at the same time.

26. The older, low hp engines often associated with older cars would benefit greatly from more gears.
    T5s behind a flathead or stove bolt is a major improvement.
    For a performance engine the ability to fully take advantage of an engines torque curve is another advantage. its win win

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  27. KenC

KenC

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

That's unfortunate .

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. After a bunch of phone calls and hemming and hawing, I went with Art Carr and had a nice talk with him before purchasing. He talked me out of the stage 3 one they have, mainly because of the car weight, a stage 2 would be just fine. Still a 3-4 week wait/ build time on these, but it's been that way for the last 18 months or so.

30. 327Eric

327Eric

I use whatever I can find for cheap or free. I have a saginaw in my 59 El Camino. I paid 50 bucks for it. It survived behind my 427, my 327, and soon my 383. I bought about 7 of them between 2000 and 2004, because I thought I would blow them up. I ended up giving all but 1 away. I put one out of a vega in a 55 Studebaker with a 327, it still lives as well. I have run turbo 350s, and a couple turbo 400s. I have a 727 for my Henry J with a 413 because my 833 got stolen. I have a 59 Ranchero with a c4, and a 289, and a 59 f100 that will get a 302 aod if the 312 doesnt run. I would like to run the 3 on the tree, but, I got the 302 for free. I'm too poor to actually buy what i need, but what I have has worked so far. I will not run a 50's automatic, regardless of breed.