Register now to get rid of these ads!

History My Story in a Magazine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bullet Nose, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Last year I received a copy of Gasoline Magazine that has an article about me. I was asked to write it by Sondre Kvipt, who has the Kustomrama website, and also writes articles for Gasoline Magazine. What I wrote was translated into Swedish.

After my friend Dennis O'Brien saw it, he suggested that I post what I wrote in English, so I created some pages on one of my websites and I hope no one is offended. If you'd like to take a look, the link is ...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  2. Thanks for sharing!

3. Yes, thank you for posting this for us H.A.M.B.ers.

chryslerfan55 likes this.

4. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Hollywood Hank, sent me a copy of the magazine as he interviewed me for a story on Kellison. Quality publication….I can only hope that he said nice things about me as I couldn’t read it!!!

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

6. wicarnut

wicarnut

7. 1320 Fan

1320 Fan

That is a great history of your car life. You both put a lot of effort into it and thank you for sharing it here.

8. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Thanks for sharing that; I thoroughly enjoyed reading it!

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow - Hot article - Congrats

10. jnaki

jnaki

Hey BN,

Great story in the magazine. It was nice reading something about So Cal, as it was during our own time cruising around Long Beach and our road trips to the South Bay plenty of times. The distance from our Westside of Long Beach house to the South Bay shoreline was simple and fun. During our surfing days, the Palos Verdes Peninsula at Haggerty’s was a favorite place, despite the rocks raining down on us as we walked to the point. (As well as the Redondo Breakwater)

You mentioned in 1959 being at Lion’s Dragstrip with a FED, DeSoto powered. Would you happen to have photos of the build? There are some of my films that still have FED race cars in them that I have no knowledge of who owned them and what class they were in competition. If your photos match those unnamed ones, I will gladly send you the HD digital copies taken at Lion’s Dragstrip.

Jnaki

Either send via the HAMB conversation tab or post on your thread. I will definitely check to see if the same FED is in my films. I am doing some final identifying for a large public website for reference access for anyone, about drag racing in the 58-60 era in So Cal.

Again, great story in the magazine and Kustomrama is a very good source of information that we all have used at one time or another.

1959 Lion’s Dragstrip Pits

straykatkustoms likes this.
  11. partssaloon

partssaloon

Good read BN, nice to finally see it in english

12. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Jnaki,

What I said was that I was married in 1959. When my mom and dad found out that Lorraine was pregnant, they helped us buy a house in North Redondo. Soon after our son was born in 1960, Woody started building his dragster in our 2 car garage. I was working graveyards, six nights a week in Downey so I didn't get any build photos. I do have another photo of our son standing on the seat in Woody's dragster but that would have been around 1962. It may have been taken at the same time as the photo on Page 88.

After Woody raced his car at Lion's, he wanted to go faster so he built a manifold with two blowers for the DeSoto engine, but I don't think he ever got it to run good. Woody ended up being a CNC machinist and is now married to Ed Donovan's widow, Kathy, of Donovan Engineering in Torrance.

HEMI32 and jnaki like this.
  13. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Thanks Mr. Schlitz

14. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing that.

15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

"Galloping Groundhog" Lol.

16. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

It bounced a lot, and it was LOW.

17. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Always loved this Chevy - nice to see more photos and learn some history on it!

18. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

19. ratfink56

ratfink56

Great memories. Thanks for sharing.