Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1949 Buick Sedanette build--Picture heavy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat47, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Fat47

Fat47

Reply to "My 49". No trouble with the frame setting level. Long time ago (this has been a slow build) I had it on a frame machine and we straightened everything. The floor in my old shop sloped down to a drain in the center so some pictures may give that impression.

No real updates on the Buick build. Still trying to get the new shop interior finished and everything organized. Most events have been canceled this Summer so I have slowed down. Haven't had my 33 Dodge coupe out in a month. Need to ramp up my incentive.

loudbang, Thor1, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  2. my 49 buick

my 49 buick
    from Maryland

Hello Fat47, do you happen to know the measurement from the fire wall to the radiator support? when straight 8 was in the car?

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Fat47

Fat47

I don't think that changed when I subframed the car since I used the original radiator cradle. Or do you mean the bracket that the radiator cradle sits in? Currently the hood is on the 49 and I don't have any help for taking it off to measure. Building the new shop has stopped all work on the 49.

loudbang, Thor1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. BJR

BJR

I can get that measurement this week end if you can't get it sooner. Could you explain exactly where you want the measurement made? Pictures would help.

loudbang, Thor1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. BJR

BJR

I came up with 38" measured straight back to the firewall from the back k edge top of the radiator support.

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  6. Fat47

Fat47

It's been a long time between posts but I finally got the new shop operational.
    DSCF2789.JPG

DSCF4229.JPG
    There is an HOA so I had to build a shop in keeping with the house. Meant I had to put up a brick building. I found the original builder of the house and, while he wasn't interested in building the shop, he had a couple of retired guys that worked on the house he convinced to come back to work for this project. They put up the exterior and I spent the last year doing the interior.
    DSCF2791.JPG
    DSCF2792.JPG

DSCF4253.JPG

DSCF4255.JPG

2Blue2, pwschuh, 40FORDPU and 7 others like this.
  7. Fat47

Fat47

I had leased the old shop back for six months from the guy who bought my former home. Basically it was just a storage move. I did get the Buick running before I moved it but not much else. Project sat for about a year. I had to work around the Buick and the 50 Ford project for the past six months to get the shop operational. Finally, this week I was able to start back on the Buick. Two most pressing issues are getting an exhaust system on it and finding an upholster to finish what the former one had left undone. I will try to post more timely updates and finish this baby up.

8. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The shop looks great, Walt! Congratulations on getting some work space again!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    chryslerfan55, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Really nice shop, are the ceilings tall enough to allow storage lifts?

loudbang likes this.
  10. BJR

BJR

I think you should get the fanciest shop award. That building looks amazing, and should be a pleasure to work in. How are you heating it?

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  11. Looks great pal!

loudbang likes this.
  12. Fat47

Fat47

BJR: I hung a 100,000 BTU heater in the far corner. You can see it in the third picture. So far it seems to do the job. I insulated the heck out of the walls and ceiling before I put up the OSB board and steel panels. There is a loft room over the first 2/3rds of the building(See steps in picture 2) that acts as storage and more work room. It's also insulated and has a steel ceiling.

37Kid: The far end has a kick up to 12' ceiling which allowed me to move my 2 post lift from my old shop in that bay. This is a lot smaller than my old shop but I don't think I am going to be doing any more ground up builds given I am turning 80. The pictures show the first two bays. I'm standing in the third, in the lift bay, taking those pictures.

Charlie: I still plan on bringing up that 9". Be good to see you.

13. Fat47

Fat47

Ran the engine again last week discovering that the automatic choke wasn't working. After two hours of running electrical checks finally dawned on me that the electric choke is on the same circuit as the electric fuel pump. Since I am using a manual engine driven fuel pump I had not inserted a fuse in that circuit. With a fuse installed choke worked fine and we were able to do some tuning. Old age, over a year building a new shop, and just general stupidity came to the forefront again.

I'm thinking of ordering a CON2R steering wheel to replace the old chevy truck wheel that came with the wrecking yard column I used in this build. I didn't write down what vehicle I took the column out of 10 years ago. Just knew it was a chevy box truck. So, another afternoon spent identifying what adapter I would need. Grant 3196.

I need to get my retired Heating/AC friend to come by and charge the AC system. COVID put a temporary hold on that. Wife visited one of our younger sons, after Christmas, who refuses to get vaccinated. Of course, he came down with it during her visit, she brought it back home, so another two weeks shot in quarantine and recovery. We both had been vaccinated and boosted so it wasn't as bad as it was back in Jan. of 2020 when we contracted it the first time but, it still slows you down.

All that's really left, aside from final tuning, headliner and carpet, and a few small things is the exhaust. Waiting on a little warmer weather to load the Buick up and take it to the exhaust shop.

In the meantime, I have started back on the 50 Ford chop top project. Will start a separate post on this when I have time.

Thanks to all who have ridden along on this build with me. Hope this gave you some ideas and helped you to avoid some of the mistakes I made along the way.

chryslerfan55, Cosmo49, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  14. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad to hear you are doing better, Walt! Isn't it amazing how long the little final things take to finish a build! The winter storm we had this weekend has stopped me from getting anything done. I hope to have mine finished by May. I have driven it a couple of times and, after replacing the transmission, it seems to be doing ok. Can't wait to finish it up. It still has to go to the upholsterer yet.

Take care!

15. BJR

BJR

The final details take for ever. Around here a good upholsterer is hard to find, and usually booked up close to a year in advance. And not cheap.

16. Fat47

Fat47

Ran across another HAMB member, Tetanus, who had five 49 Buick rims in great shape, that he had no use for and give them to me. I drove to Wis. last weekend and picked them up. Great contribution to the project by Tetanus. While I had four originals, I did need one for a spare and all of his were in better shape than a couple of mine. Thanks to Tetanus.

17. BJR

BJR

18. Fat47

Fat47

I did locate an upholsterer but can't get in until mid-July. Gives me time to catch up on the little items. I am still having trouble getting the engine to idle down. Also need to find out why it is heating up so quickly. May be a bad thermostat.
    Thanks to RockAble for recommending a guy that was reproducing rocker panel covers.
    DSCF4301.JPG

DSCF4302.JPG
    Also picked up a new steering wheel from CON2R.
    DSCF4303.JPG

DSCF4305.JPG

Last edited: May 3, 2022
  19. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good, Walt! I'm down to the last 5% of my build and everything seems to be 2 steps forward and one step back. I've has a couple more electrical gremlins than usual but I'm gaining on it!

That Con2R steering wheel looks great!

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and BJR like this.
  20. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Very nice Walt. Anxious to see it.

21. BJR

BJR

Looking great!!!! what steering column did you use?

22. Fat47

Fat47

BJR, The steering column was one I pulled out of a late 70's to mid-80's Chevy box van 8-10 years ago while visiting a friend in Michigan. I think it's the same one you would find in a van during that period. No Key on the column. Later one's have the key integral to the column. There were, and I think still are, a couple of good wrecking yards in Muskegon. Over the years I have picked a lot of parts there for various projects. One even had a couple of 49 Buick four doors.

Like Rock, two steps forward and then one back now on this build and I've really slowed down the past year. Age is part of it. And even though I did build a new shop, my interest in going out there seems to have decreased. Hopefully, I'll get it back. In addition to the Buick, I've got a chopped top 50 Ford to finish. That will probably be it for me. Doubt there is another ground up build in the future.

chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  23. Fat47

Fat47

Been messing with the timing this past week on the 455. May need to pull the carb and so some more work on it. Took the 49 for it's first ride in 30 years today. Just around the block for a few times. Put it back in the shop on the lift side so I can do some work on the emergency brake cables. I am afraid they sit to low and I may catch them. When I looked in the drive had a trail of tranny fluid . It didn't start until I pulled back into the driveway so it might have been about the time the tranny warmed up and it was too full of fluid or I may have blown a line or a connection is loose. Will check all this out tomorrow. Need to get it fixed so I can take it to the exhaust shop and then to the upholsterer. Will post what I find.

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and rockable like this.
  24. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boy, I've already been through that stage. Its not fun but you will get through it.

25. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Oh, geez, I've always liked working through the list of corrections and finishing little things. Usually just simple stuff and it means you're getting close. Good luck, I hope the list is short.

26. BJR

BJR

That's a bummer, but it also means you are getting close to driving it.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. Fat47

Fat47

I don't think it's the tranny. Originally thought it was because of the color of the fluid on the floor but, after checking all the tranny line connections and tranny pan gasket and finding no leaks I am looking at the power steering pump. It was one I had laying around the shop that I couldn't remember where I acquired it. Will do more looking today.

chryslerfan55 and rockable like this.
  28. Fat47

Fat47

So, while tracing down the fluid leak, noticed a small drip of anti-freeze on the floor. Coming from behind the passenger side motor mount. Can only be a bad freeze plug. Going to have to think this one through since the motor mount cradle is welded to the frame. I can jack the engine up a bit and remove the motor mount but I don't think I am going to have enough room to tap in a new plug. And the fun just continues.

29. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I have used the expandable rubber freeze plugs in situations like this.

30. BJR

BJR

In the past I have used the expandable rubber freeze plugs on a daily driver and drove the car for years. I have also used the block heater freeze plugs, because it was what I had at 11 PM and wanted to get the car on the road the next morning. They worked without problems for years also. When I had my Cad motor out I replaced all the freeze plugs, and cleaned out the water jackets at the same time, so I would not have problems later on. Good luck and hope to see your car sometime in the future.