Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's see some sheet metal shaping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jhnarial, Sep 16, 2008.

1. 66gmc

66gmc

Thanks!

loudbang likes this.
  2. Dyce

Dyce

Another 32 front fender bead patch. The owner plans on welding it in.
    20211214_115434.jpg
    I first make the radius leading up to the bead.
    20211214_115426.jpg
    20211214_115058.jpg
    Leaving the inside closed helps by holding the shape. 20211214_120147.jpg
    Mark and trim allowing for the part that wraps around the wire.
    20211214_141405.jpg
    Then I tip the edge that will wrap around the wire. 20211214_162959.jpg
    The dies I made to make the bead guide off of the flange.
    20211214_145810_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    cactus1, The37Kid, Okie Pete and 9 others like this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I dig that ruler !!!!

4. Dyce

Dyce

My father-in-law's 35 plymouth panel below the trunk.
    Bad before picture.
    20220109_142718.jpg
    Started by shrinking with thumbnail dies and wheeled out the shape.
    20220109_164556.jpg
    Tuned it up with the shrinker/stretcher.
    20220109_164542.jpg
    Tipped the edges. I had to heat shrink the flange.
    20220117_121654_HDR.jpg

20220117_121648.jpg

20220117_124915_HDR.jpg this is the inner panel. I have some blasting to do before it goes back together.
    20220117_173758.jpg

Attached Files:

5. Dyce

Dyce

Hobby lobby! I love it too!

fauj, justabeater37, TFoch and 2 others like this.
  6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks !

fauj likes this.
  7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Thanks...

66gmc and loudbang like this.
  8. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Here's another useful one.
    magnetic

Attached Files:

9. loudbang

loudbang

In your second video "Repairing a cracked fender" go to around 13:48 and look to the right side of your video and you will see "SNOW" floating around. That Snow is sanding dust from your filler being blown around the garage and it is WHAT YOU ARE INHALING INTO YOUR LUNGS. Please wear a mask. My mentor, a long time bodyman, died from throat cancer he was told it was from years of inhaling that same type of dust.:(

BradinNC, brady1929, 1-SHOT and 2 others like this.
  10. Dyce

Dyce

French curves are another great source of shapes. I have an overhead projector 20220118_101913.jpg I use to make larger sizes like these.

Okie Pete, fauj, rockable and 3 others like this.
  11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Handy stuff to have.

Dyce likes this.
  12. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Also mold sweeps; once used by the auto industry designers to lay out body panels, etc. before CAD.

sweeps 01.jpg

13. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Check out what Ernie Adams in Casa Grande, AZ did with limited tools and resources.
    He used old refrigerators for sheet metal. Has a museum of dwarf cars. Pretty talented!

Dwarf Cars - YouTube

rockable likes this.
  14. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Good videos, thanks.

66gmc and loudbang like this.
  15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Hey @66gmc, great video! Loved the music and the humour. You skills are VERY good and I realize your self deprecating comments is part of the humour.

You wouldn’t need Patreon support if you didn’t spend so much damn money on your wardrobe!

Are you the guy who helped Scott on an episode of ColdWarMotors about a couple of months back?

66gmc likes this.
  16. 66gmc

66gmc

Thank you, and yes I visited Scott a few months ago.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER and fauj like this.
  17. Crocodile

Crocodile

@66gmc, I really appreciate you posting your videos. You have a very effective way of explaining your process, and your sharing will help me on some of my projects.

66gmc, fauj and loudbang like this.
  18. @Crocodile I agree with you. Glad I found this and the @66gmc YouTube channel. Count me as another subscriber!

66gmc likes this.
  19. @66gmc, thanks for sharing the videos. You made me a subscriber, too.

66gmc and fauj like this.
  20. jnaki

jnaki

Carl Swift Lion's Dragstrip Museum
    upload_2022-1-27_4-14-52.png
    2017 original Lion’s Dragstrip Museum competition car display area

Hello,

In thinking back to the day I photographed this old Ford drag racing car, I was impressed with the overall look and style. It took me back to the day my wife and I went to central OC to see a black 50 Ford coupe with a Flathead motor.

The style of the 50 Ford was very mild, but nice for the two of us. Chrome wheels, black walls, floor shifter, and the interior was stock, but was clean. The black paint was good and it sounded good. The price was in our range and we were leaning toward buying it. But, it was just that my wife did not like the seller’s attitude and we left without buying the Ford.

Jnaki

We all associate old memories with what is seen in front of you while visiting various places in our lifetimes... The Original Lion's Dragstrip Museum was such a place that made those old memories start a flood of color flowing in the brain.

upload_2022-1-27_4-17-17.png
    I spent some time looking at this orange Ford race car for some time. The interior was finished with a lot of intricate work and looked like a show car. A lot of time and effort went into this interior. The paint on the other hand was straight from the competition era and it looked like it just came from the elimination rounds. It did have the cool attitude look.
    upload_2022-1-27_4-21-13.png
    The metal work on the Flathead engine compartment was also immaculate.

The one thing competitors saw were the tail lights and not this cool looking front end. Moon tank and all…
    upload_2022-1-27_4-22-11.png

Okie Pete and 123pugsy like this.
  21. MP&C

MP&C

We are presently adapting defroster vents to make use of heater hose (to fit VA heater box), we needed to add a bead in the tubing to better retain the hose attached. The beading die we made for this purpose on the bead roller was too large to fit the 1-1/4" tube, so another tool is in order.. Our worn out Southbend was used to make the round profiles, with a step in the bottom die to act as a backstop for better consistency in bead placement.

[​IMG]

I don't have much in the form of hardened tool steel for making specialized cutters for the lathe, so I used a 3/4" square cutter from the Lennox to form the following for making the concave shape.. the male counterpart was done on the fly...

[​IMG]

The 4140 square stock was squared on both ends, then a relief added for our round profile to rest in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our c-clamps had a VEE notch that would assist in keeping the round bits from moving, so that was used in lieu of a vise..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The infinitely adjustable clamps worked well, the TIG was used to add a fusion weld around the perimeter (no filler rod)

[​IMG]

After welding, the assembly is heated to a straw color (pre-blue) and dipped in our official Mickey Thompson fluid container (transmission fluid) to harden things up a bit.

[​IMG]

Here are the dies in use, take note of what happens when you don't keep pressure against the backstop.... No harm no foul, a couple more passes cleans it right up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That should help to keep the hose in place...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
    Okie Pete, 66gmc, mgermca and 7 others like this.
  22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Really nice job. Thanks for the part about hardening the dies. I'll do that.
    I took a different tack to do tubing beads since I do not have a Pullmax. I made a set of dies for my home-built bead roller. There is some outside die slippage due to the dissimilar diameters of the dies, but it will do the job. tube beader 1.JPG tube beader 2.JPG tube beader 3.JPG

The 39 guy, Okie Pete, fauj and 7 others like this.
  23. Dyce

Dyce

More work on the 35 Plymouth.
    I wheeled out a top insert. There was a piece of galvanized screwed over the top. 122 screws to be exact. 20220314_161829.jpg 20220314_161847.jpg
    I got a good start on the rocker panels too.
    20220328_215145_HDR.jpg
    I prebent them with a radius break and ran them through a repurposed set of dies to get the right curve.
    IMG_20220329_133949_02.jpg
    Then I made plates to rattle in the quarter detail line with my Baker (pullmax) machine.
    20220331_205001.jpg
    They fit nice!
    20220331_214033.jpg 20220331_214028.jpg It's my father-in-law's car and he's going through some serious health problems so I called for some help. I got a great crew helping me out now! 20220331_204951.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
    53 effie, 31Apickup, chrisp and 11 others like this.
  24. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

Good to have pals, car looks great

Dyce likes this.
  25. Nice job on that rocker panel!

Dyce likes this.
  26. MP&C

MP&C

A good friend of mine has a powder coat business and has been restoring a Kent model KMX850 bmx bike. The bike was found in the woods and was brought to him for repairs, with many of the obsolete parts being sourced from other style bikes and scooters. Here is where he has it thus far..

[​IMG]

Once the sun had taken its toll on the seat upholstery, the foam inside became a nice sponge for all the precipitation that Mother Nature could throw at it, leaving much of the seat pan gone. So he needed a seat pan fabricated, and this is where I entered the picture..

[​IMG]

His major concern was that we duplicate the impaling spikes to secure the upholstery.

[​IMG]

I had attended an estate sale about a year ago and picked up a set of Malco notchers, not knowing what I'd ever need them for, but also knowing I couldn't do without them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So when I pulled these out of the tool box all fears had been abated..

We started with a piece of 19 gauge AKDQ and used Stan Fulton beading dies to add the center bead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A piece of 5/8 round stock on the magnetic brake then added the radius for the side bends. Some of the 5/8 round stock was also used to make some post dollies with a welded stop for use in the bench vise..

[​IMG]

Basic shape

[​IMG]

The Erco kick stretcher used on the sides and the post dollies on manipulating the radius bend helped to provide the kickup needed at the rear.

[​IMG]

A solid rod across the rear mounting holes gives us some critical dimensions for layout....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the mounting holes in the rear, we measured 9/16 from the edge to hole center as per original, and then made a two ended transfer punch that fit snugly between the sides. Once we had our rear measurement and the point aligned to the 9/16 scribe line, we tapped either side to mark the holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once drilled, a rod through these holes lets us locate the front bracket. We reused the bracket to save some time (and money) as it was still good and solid..

[​IMG]

Impaling spikes added

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All bracket installed and assembly gets media blasted to prep for powder coat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
  27. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Very nice work with attention to detail. Frank

osage orange and MP&C like this.
  28. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Very nicely done.

Little notchers came out of the toolbox like, "This is my time to shine!" :D

brEad, osage orange, fauj and 2 others like this.
  29. Awesome work!

osage orange and MP&C like this.