Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 M47 pickup. Basement barn find!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MTL Tony, Dec 15, 2021.

1. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Yup! When it was still in the basement I put some marvel mystery oil in every cylinder and it turned over without any problems. The guy said they poured oil down into it then hand tightened spark plugs when it went into the basement, every few years he'd put a tiny bit of oil in where it sat.
    Just a few nights ago I did the mystery oil and turned it over again a few times just for good measure.

tub1, ratrodrodder and Stogy like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good news indeed...

MTL Tony likes this.
  3. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Male or female. Has it had all of its shots? LOL

MTL Tony likes this.
  4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IIRC you can make your own reducer by soldering up a fitting and then drilling it out to the correct orifice size. Don't recall the exact size but there have been threads here or on the Barn that should tell you what you need to know. Or run it without the oil filter until you can order the correct reducer. Lots of flatheads running around with no filter.
    Edit: see this post from the Barn
    https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195393

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    MTL Tony likes this.
  5. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

i dont like the idea of running without a filter. and i did actually read that thread ya linked!
    I found a canadian industrial supplier that has the fitting. i just got off the phone and they had ONE left. it should be in my hands middle of next week.

This is one of those times where if the border wasn't still closed I would have ordered it through napa and hopped in the car and drove down and picked it up with other stuff i want cheaply available in the states. instead i paid three times the price. its not gonna kill me paying thirty bucks, but it stings a little.
    i did think about making it but to be honest it was kind of confusing reading it all and trying to figure out what fittings i needed to buy. i would have spent a couple hours finding fittings locally, making it, drilling it out, fucking it up, doing it again, and then finally getting it right...or i can bite the bullet and pay that thirty bucks and just focus my energy on other stuff.

6. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

another gripe that you folks living in the states might not realize.
    UPS is bogus to ship to canada. never offer to ship anything through UPS if youre sending something to someone there.
    i just placed a $100US order and had to pay $65CAD just to receive it because they ship through UPS and ONLY UPS. very, very frustrating.

Fortunateson likes this.
  7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. That does suck but it could be worse. You could live down under. Last I knew the US Postal Service won't even ship there. Strange times.

MTL Tony likes this.
  8. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Ah, the infamous UPS "Brokerage fees". Last time (many years ago) I got suckered it was "only" $40.

Oh yeah, what were the small repairs that the dog needed?

"A couple small repairs to make but I could run it as it sits without hesitation."

[​IMG]

9. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

She's really gotta work on her recall. But for a street dog that's only been in actual houses less than half her life she's doing good!

Toms Dogs, 2Blue2 and Thor1 like this.
  10. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

I spent a couple hours in my motorcycle garage (it has heat unlike where my truck is parked) today rebuilding and cleaning up the carb. I had three carbs that came with the truck so I picked the one where nothing was seized, but it was also the filthiest.
    I've never had such a huge change in a carb rebuild before and this was incredibly satisfying. Shining up all the brass was incredibly gratifying. I could have cleaned the outside up even more but really....the inside is what matters.
    I'll post the pics all before then the afters so you can see the huge change. I rebuilt the middle carb in the pic with three.
    PXL_20220116_192821767.jpg
    This next pic is after two cans of brake cleaner and an hour long soak in a toxic bucket of carb cleaner PXL_20220116_205544010.jpg PXL_20220116_210102627.jpg PXL_20220116_224142729.jpg PXL_20220116_230812057.jpg PXL_20220116_233517564.jpg PXL_20220116_230828159.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    Carter, Toms Dogs, R A Wrench and 8 others like this.
  11. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

I noticed this on one of the carbs I have. I'm not sure what it is though. I suspect it's some sort of fast idle set for when you're warming the car up?

PXL_20220116_232236274.jpg PXL_20220116_232254706.jpg

12. dwollam

dwollam

studebaker46, Stogy, jaracer and 3 others like this.
  13. Either a hand throttle or a stationary engine to adjust and set the engine speed like a water pump, air raid siren, or generator.

Stogy and MTL Tony like this.
  14. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

oh yeah i guess these carbs were used for all kinds of stuff and not just my truck

thanks for that info @dwollam and @warhorseracing !!

Stogy and warhorseracing like this.
  15. My 48 Chevy truck had choke (C) and throttle (T) knobs on the dash. Your Mercury?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    MTL Tony likes this.
  16. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

To be honest I've only done a cursory look at all the knobs in the cab. I know for sure one is choke. There's a few more but all of them are seized up and/or I have no clue what they do yet. I gotta clean them all off real good because there's about 40 years of dirt/grime accumulated on the dash from sitting under a deck, but outdoors. So maybe?
    I don't have any running water in the garage. I bought a bottle of cleaner and used it once then the next time I went into the garage it was frozen solid.

It's very possible that carb with that extra piece did not come from the truck at all, there were three, two with tops for a truck, one with a top for a car. The one with the extra piece did have a top like the truck has.

warhorseracing likes this.
  17. Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    ratrodrodder, 2Blue2 and MTL Tony like this.
  18. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Damn. I honestly haven't seen one with a visor before...yikes def gonna keep my out for one of those.

I'll take some pics of my dash next time I'm in my garage.
    I do think those two knobs are for the heater. One for choke, one for lights, and then starter button far left I think are the rest.

All that stuff on steering column looks like a clunky turn signal?

19. 2Blue2

2Blue2

Coolest Merc I've seen all day:D

MTL Tony likes this.
  20. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Because I was bored (and lazy) I went looking around on the throttle thing. Supposedly not factory installed on 48-50 F1’s, but was available on larger trucks. No guarantee that the information is solid however…..

Stogy and MTL Tony like this.
  21. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

I made a YouTube video out of the whole process of pulling this truck out of the basement it lived in for the past forty years.
    Here it is!

There will be a bunch more of this truck as time goes on. I've already got a sort of technical one for mounting the rear suspension and axle to edit and toss up soonish too.

22. I'm cringing! That poor brake adjuster! :D

Where the heck's that Indian Motocycle?

Thor1 and MTL Tony like this.
  23. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

The brake adjuster survived unscathed!!!!
    If ya look through my channel there's a video about the Indian too. It's actually living a better life in upstate New York and is already built up and running! I plan on riding down in the spring to see it

Stogy and sgtlethargic like this.
  24. dwollam

dwollam

Man! You guys really worked for that! Great bunch of helpers. Excellent save!

Dave

Stogy, Thor1 and MTL Tony like this.
  25. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Ha, ha. Crazy effort. Takes a bunch of Youts to do that shit!

MTL Tony and Stogy like this.
  26. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

i really am grateful for the help of my friends on that day. That truck would still be sitting in the basement if they hadnt all agreed to come help out!

Thor1 and warhorseracing like this.
  27. ^^^^^^Get them all together on a hot summer day and crack open some cold ones then thank them for their help.:cool:

MTL Tony likes this.
  28. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

I bought them all rotis and Caribbean food when the truck was moved. They left with very very full bellies.
    Once it's warm there will always be a beer waiting for them at the garage (right now it would just freeze)

R A Wrench, Thor1 and warhorseracing like this.
  29. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

From the Princess Bride..”I don’t think that word means what you think it means.”.

Wheel bearings are roller bearings. But you knew that...

This thread pisses me off a little bit as my family and I were in Montreal on a visit twenty years ago and I looked and looked for a cool souvenir and didn’t find anything. Now I learn this M1 was waiting for me! Bugger...

Looking good MTL! Good thing you got it when you did before the big dump of niege the other day! Really enjoyed the video...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    Thor1 and MTL Tony like this.
  30. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Wow. I thought roller and needle bearings were interchangeable by name. I just read and that there is a distinction between the two!
    Always learning!!!

If you didn't know roller bearings are only slightly longer than their diameter, where needle bearings are at least four times as long as their diameter.
    Very cool.
    Thanks @Fortunateson !!

dwollam, ratrodrodder, Thor1 and 2 others like this.