Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. andyapplegate

andyapplegate

Brian, I admire all the work you have invested in to making your car work on the street and strip. Very very impressive stuff!! Keep it up, Andy

2. I had thoughts of painting my car like the Demon. I had a Hot Wheels car that was black and flamed as a little kid. I thought that was the perfect look for a old coupe and still do. The white to yellow fading to orange is the way i like a flamed job.

3. That would be gorgeous as a black car with the above mentioned flames. It would be something out of nightmares! Then again, your car is scary enough now....

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  4. The next time the car is painted it most likely will be done that way.

5. rlsteel

rlsteel

I watched Jerry Dawson and crew go 198 on the old gateway track when no one else could get down the track. I believe the motor was out of Jerry,s 1970 top fuel car. great fun to watch. RLS

6. To say the Demon had a huge influence on me is a understatement. A blown nitro hemi coupe thats painted black with flames. Thats the perfect
    recipe for a real hot rod in my book.
    There were a few other cars that had a big impact on me. All midwest local cars.
    Nitro Neil Bisiglia with the foot hill flyer nitro comp coupe.
    Mike fraziers nitro coupe chicago fire.
    Tom Motries Drastic Plastic nitro coupe.
    These cars changed my life.

bchctybob, mad mikey, Stogy and 9 others like this.
  7. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

I was there the day the Demon exploded, it was heart breaking to say the least.

8. andyapplegate

andyapplegate

If I remember correctly, it was a left hand steering. And I agree, all hot rod flames start out white!!

mad mikey, Nicholas Coe and racer-x like this.
  9. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

It looks fantastic the way it is!

I am thinking of using a similar green on my 1934 Dodge. Then some cheese cloth and pin striping. I want it to look bright and pop! My hemi is much smaller than yours, so I will be trying to achieve a much slower good looking build.... But first things first, I am trying to find front fender brackets... tough to find. I may have the rest of it other than a hood ornament/radiator cap. (My 1934 Plymouth is a car, the Dodge is a truck).

Your car amazes me...

10. A little football and a fire plus a whole lot of polishing in the family room. 20220123_165729.jpg The entire induction came apart for inspection and cleaning. New o rings will go into the manifold they a old and flat. Its a good way to spend a cold wisconsin afternoon. I like shiny things

mad mikey, enloe, Stogy and 9 others like this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

^^^^ Nice, but why not a pic of the SF v GB game;)

Beautiful room and I’ll assume house you have.

12. The pack played Saturday.
    Moving parts into the house helps with the boredom that comes with polishing parts. My wife doesn't care. She is cool.

13. I remember a buddy of mine, used to do the same; bring some pieces in to the house to polish while watching TV with his wife.

mad mikey, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  14. now if I could only get my wife onboard with helping polish all this stuff.

mad mikey, seb fontana, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  15. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Just be thankful she is OK with you bringing them in to polish.

bchctybob, mad mikey, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  16. as long as the parts don't smell like brake cleaner or leak oil she is good with doing things in the house. I have most of the engine in a extra room. I pull out parts one at a time and clean them up. its a major operation going through all of this stuff. there is so much polished aluminum and magnesium that needs attention. its all worth it when its all clean and back in the car. it kind of reminds me of the hurst cars or ivos cars. cars that could be just show cars but also race.

bchctybob, mad mikey, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  17. Todays nitro fun manifold maintenance. A inspection and measurement of the burst panel for stretching was followed by a o-ring change. When the o-rings feel and look flat and are no longer above the deck its time for replacement. The blower studs were checked out. They are aluminum and are somewhat fragile. If the engine should backfire the studs are designed to break letting the pressure escape saving the manifold. The nozzles are inspected for obstructions. The o-ring and gasket on the top of the manifold will be replaced. 20220125_161257.jpg 20220125_161309.jpg 20220125_162444.jpg 20220125_162625.jpg

18. @racer-x , I’m beginning to think you feel the need, the need, for speed.

19. im starting to get the itch. by the end of the month the engine will start going back together.

wicarnut, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  20. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Today is the end of the month! :D:D:D

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  21. I guess it is. I meant February. Too much craziness at work lately. One day just runs into the next.

22. I have been doing the same thing Brian. Polishing pieces and parts in the house in front of the TV. It is too cold right now to heat up the shop, so I make progress inside. I have a box of Cometic gaskets- seals on the way, then its time to assemble.;)

23. I found this at the Detroit Autorama this weekend. I spoke to Heid about getting a copy. 20220305_112213.jpg

24. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

How COOL is that????
    Enjoy the Autorama!

25. Jim i started a thread on the show. As always some very cool stuff. Too bad i cant post some of the ot cars.

enloe, loudbang, RICH B and 4 others like this.
  26. loudbang

loudbang

A sneak peak of just the poster :)

1.jpg

27. roddering

roddering
    from Arizona

I miss going to all the Summit Racing events. Was a quick drive from Cleveland.

loudbang likes this.
  28. I got the block back. Its time to start building the hemi.

saltflats, enloe, TFoch and 4 others like this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

WELL?..................

30. When the cam broke last year it knocked the number five cam bearing hole out of round. The bore needed to be opened up to take a .020 over size bearing. Not many shops have the tooling to pull this off. What was supposed to take two weeks turned into three months. I will get going on it sunday. I still dont have the new rods. They should be in soon. I can get the crank in and the cam degreed. I can also set the clearance in the cam spud and file the rings.