Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Hirohata Mercury price: Take a guess and win a prize!

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Apparently, you’re not the only one. A buddy of mine sent me this picture. Mecum had the Merc on display at a show in Rosemont, IL.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  2. noboD

noboD

I've left DNA on a few myself.

Stogy likes this.
  3. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

If I was the buyer, I may not want to make it general knowledge that I had a ~$2 million dollar car sitting in my garage.

4. 5window

5window

I got that, but I think it will come out. An employee, a transporter, someone will tell. On the other hand, if it is not going to be hidden away,as many fear, why not be open about it? I suppose it could be stolen and then hidden by the thief like some paintings.

seb fontana and The37Kid like this.
  5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Maybe the new caretaker is moving other cars to make room, maybe there will be a big Welcome to Your New Home party? Do you think it will stay in California, or will it show up somewhere across the country?

Stogy likes this.
  6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Maybe billionaire heiress Alice Walton bought it to park in the carport of the Frank Lloyd Wright designed Bachman-Wilson house on the grounds of the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art in Bentonville, Arkansas. It would certainly fit the time period, as the Bachman-Wilson house was built about same time as the Hirohata was customized by the Barris Bros and the Hirohata IS an example of American art which would fit the whole theme of Cyrstal Bridges! :D
    bachman-wilson-house-at-crystal-bridges-1440x640.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    Stogy, R A Wrench, drdave and 4 others like this.
  7. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, badshifter has gone AWOL.:eek:

It's like; I know something...and you don't...nyaa, nyaa.:mad: .

8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Maybe, they haven`t told their spouse yet. You have to break it to them gently. Honestly, you don`t tell everybody in the world you bought a car for 2 million before you tell your closest friends. Maybe they need to see it(personally) and drive it first. I congratulate the new owner and caretaker for this historical car. To hell what everybody thinks and says about you. But you know this already. Hope to see this car again sometime.

9. John Tumolo

John Tumolo

My guess is Dana Mecum bought it.

10. I am always wondering the same. That's why I can't stand watching those auctions.
    Is it the cretin hop or a serious auction?

-Brent- likes this.
  11. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

That make's sense "I didn't do It"... h-hee

12. 5window

5window

A priest is holding confession when a man enters. He says, “Father, I need to tell you that I am 75 years old and two weeks ago I married a 25 year old woman. She cooks like a gourmet chef, our home is immaculate, she looks like a model and our sex life is absolutely incredible! Oh, and I am Jewish.”

“That’s wonderful, my son,” says the priest. “But, why are you telling me?”

“Are you kidding?” says the man. “I’m telling EVERYBODY!”

13. Lepus

Lepus

I believe the reason for all the "hibbity hibbity" is to keep the auction from going quiet when the bids are not coming really quickly, and not let the bidders adrenaline levels go down.

Driver50x, VEDETTE, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  14. The37Kid

The37Kid

I think the "hibbity-hibbity" is a farm auction / cattle auction style. The high end "English Style" auction that I've seen at a Goodings auction is a bit more entertaining, the auctioneer seams a bit more knowledgeable about the vehicle and interacts with the bidders.

seb fontana likes this.
  15. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

16. 5window

5window

This is the very best auction scene ever filmed. Slightly OT since it's for a house, not a car.

17. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Auction houses are forbidden to release the name and status of phone in/online buyers

The37Kid and loudbang like this.
  18. badshifter

badshifter

The secrecy that you don't get is that a friend of mine bought it, and I was asked to keep it to myself for the time being. My word to my friend means something. You and HotrodJack whatever and any other anonymous poster mean nothing to me. I'm not gloating, bragging or anything else. Knowing Ryan dislikes drama, I'm done.

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thank you, that was funny. Real life Goodings auction a car was at 1.2 Million and a lady bumped it up $50,000. The quite British auctioneer replied "is that all you've got madam, at this rate we'll be here all evening".

20. 5window

5window

I can honor that, but you never should have started the drama by saying you knew, but wouldn't tell. I hope your friend enjoys his car and that sometime he will share it.I think we can agree to stop here.

21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you would have said that in the first place, you probably wouldn't have created all the drama.

22. Whoever bought it probably isn't going to take me for a ride so I don't care.

36 ROKIT, Budget36, jim snow and 3 others like this.
  23. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

May 1955 Hot Rod issue on page 66, SELL-'51 Barris Kustom Mercury cover of March 53 HRM.53 Cad engine. May be seen Indianapolis Custom Auto Show May 21-31. Best Offer. New lime gold paint job. Bob Hirohata, 9587 La Rosa Dr., Temple City, Calif. Madison 9-8451, evenings. From a torn and tattered, coverless oldy !!!! Dyno Dave

24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

25. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

26. atomicglowman

atomicglowman

I had the opportunity to see it in person in Florida at the Amelia Island Concours de Elegance. Beautiful car. But it was beat out of first place by a convertible. Wonder what ones worth.

Stogy likes this.
  27. wicarnut

wicarnut

Guess I should have not stopped at 1.85, I was that close. LOL

28. I was there on Saturday and the amount of money being spent was absolutely insane

Stogy, hotrodjack33, jim snow and 2 others like this.
  29. OK I'm gonna get in on this. I'm gonna say it's $1,950,000.00 without the fees. I'll take a 2X :D but no white shirts.

Stogy, hotrodjack33, Budget36 and 2 others like this.
  30. 1955 F-100 guy

1955 F-100 guy
    from NE Pa

$ 1.9 Million

Stogy likes this.