Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Starting 1930 Ford Coupe Project in 2022 (Questions from a Nubee)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Crew Chief, Dec 22, 2021.

1. roddering

roddering
    from Arizona

upload_2021-12-25_21-48-34.jpeg

Attached Files:

Dino 64, Crew Chief and loudbang like this.
  2. roddering

roddering
    from Arizona

3. roddering

roddering
    from Arizona

Mine came out of a truck and is not shortened.

4. roddering

roddering
    from Arizona

5. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Definitely dont want a spool for street driving either!!

Crew Chief and loudbang like this.
  6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

i ran a truck 9", they are wide, cleared my '33 coupe rear quarters...
    just a note, a 4 wheel drive will have almost 2" more offset to the right side than 2 wheel drive trucks... my favorite is an early '60s stepside,
    narrow, 5 on 5.5", mostly 3.00 to 3.78 ratios,...

nipplar 1.JPG

7. hotdamn

hotdamn

Me personally I don’t think anything looks as good as 7.50’s in the rear on early lincoln 16x5’s and 5.50’s in the front on early ford 16x4’s

as for your axles I’d definitely encourage you to set it up with 5.5 bolt pattern

buying one from either boiling bro’s or rebuilding yours with new axles, bearings, hogsheads and having it narrowed may cost around the same? Worth looking into

As for gear I think that really depends on what your purpose for the car is and what kind of engine you have?
    I have a 3.25 in my 32 with a 1956 265.

im not doing hole shots by any means but I’m also cruising comfortable at 80mph at 3k down the interstate.

if I were wanting something to raise hell in around town a 4.11 may be a better fit.
    Also just my opinion but the radial bias look tires are tolerable but expensive.

regular style radials look horrendous on early fords.

also I put a lot of miles on my car. So long as your suspension and steering is set up correctly with quality parts you should be just fine with bias plys.

oh and a set of billstein shocks are worth EVERY CENT!!!!

Crew Chief and guthriesmith like this.
  8. Crew Chief

Crew Chief

I just ordered a 56" early style rear end with 5x5.5" bolt pattern on the axles. After doing the math and time to modify what I have, it was more cost and time effective to buy a new rear end. I can build my 3rd member into a limited slip unit on my bench.

I don't plan to go drag racing but will get on it every so often. I think a 3:00 or 3:25 will work at highway speeds with my Muncie.
    Good info from everyone.

9. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

good choice in buying new as the housings we want have been sitting on the ground for 20 to 30 years...
    bought a cougar, so rusted you could twist the backing plates off it, the pig was rusted solid...
    paid $200 for it, $450 for speedway brakes, housing had a slight bend .... errrrr !
    would have been better off buying a new one, custom width...

Crew Chief likes this.
  10. Crew Chief

Crew Chief

Question? I got all my parts together for the front and rear suspension. Hairpins for the front and transverse (buggy) spring on the rear. Does it matter if I install the front suspension first or should I mount the rear first? Any suggestions on mounting both will help. I have looked on several sites to make sure I am doing it right but not much out there that is specific. Thanks

Dino 64 likes this.
  11. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Hey ! I don’t think it matters which end you start at. I think I just put the chassis on jack stands and went for it. Do you have any wheels and tires at this point? Once I got the hairpins attached to the front axle, I made a wood ‘jig’ to lift the front axle up an assembled the rest. The jig was just a couple of 2x4’s mounted on a piece of wood creating a slot the width of the axle. Wheels and tires makes it easier
    Good luck ask questions :rolleyes::)

12. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Assembly, the jig..then I attached the 2x5’s to made the slot for the axle 95F4B4A2-DF21-42C6-AC99-065103263F7A.jpeg F5154610-4BC2-4429-AC66-F91B77D912DF.jpeg

40FORDPU and guthriesmith like this.
  13. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

As long as you have the frame well supported you can do either. Be careful with the springs once you load them up. Don't want a spring flying and smacking you in the head! Lots of good vids on youtube. Checkout @IronTrap on youtube, he has lots of good videos that you can learn from and Matt's a great guy. Good luck with the build

Crew Chief and Dino 64 like this.
  14. Crew Chief

Crew Chief

I watch Iron Trap Garage but probably have missed a few episodes over the last two years. Matt has good info and has responded to some of my emails. Thanks

15. I set up the chassis with just the main leaf. That will be similar to the finished, fully loaded car sitting on the springs. All suspension arms/bones etc. need to be set as if the car's full weight is on the suspension.

Also, when you set it up and locate suspension points, make sure the frame is at the desired finished rake.

Dino 64, Fitnessguy and Crew Chief like this.
  16. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

If you Ain’t Cav. You Ain’t Squat. I be following your build. Frank 545 M.P.Co.

Crew Chief likes this.
  17. 1 Model "A" want to be chopped 5 inches, bring it down the other 1 1/2 inches.

2 8:20 15 in back and 5:60's in front, no body ran 16's in the 50's.

3 high 2's or low 3's in the rearend.

4 redrill the axles or hubs to match or ck Wheelsmith I think they make 2 pattern rims, you only need one for a spare