Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moriarity have you ever seen these

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 61cad, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yup, when I was cloning the Zingers Bob Larivee Jr from the ISCA sent me his file on the zingers that had probably 50 or more 8x10's and those were some of them. I had copies made and sent his originals back

Okie Pete, Deuces, Sancho and 13 others like this.
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

about 20 years ago I owned the real zinger dragster, but I wasn't smart enough to keep it EFC57FB8-D243-4E26-9A58-813BBEF301A2.jpeg E4E9CD7E-FBBA-44E0-8F81-9DB50A9AB9DF.jpeg A0FF3D06-7D10-4AE1-9517-9C598972DFB5.jpeg

3. I was gonna ask him the same question, but post a picture of my ass cheeks :D

enloe, 49ratfink, tommyd and 8 others like this.

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It was new, I was just moving in

Deuces, Sancho, bowie and 9 others like this.
  5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

When I restored the dream rod, the Larivees sent me their file on it also, here are just a few of those photos

318B2B7A-8C9E-4789-90A5-99568BD9CE0A.jpeg

alanp561, Okie Pete, Deuces and 20 others like this.
  7. The Zingers with go-go booted chicks were almost as cool as the Deals Wheels '57!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

enloe, Dean Lowe, alanp561 and 15 others like this.
  8. Mark, normal people can't own everything. The power to predict the future and know what to keep and what to sell is something that few possess that works accurately. You don't need me to tell you this but you have done well in collecting. I would place more value in real items rather than caricatures of cars. You have a well balanced collection. For a guy that went to work everyday, you did good. :)

9. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

So i would guess these are fiberglass bodies? Anybody know what happened to the bodies?
    ORRR how were bodies produced?

10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Steve Tansy built the dune buggy and the Dragster, The dragster body was fabricated from sheet metal. The Dune buggy was a go kart body that was available at the time.

Chuck Miller built the rest of the Zingers, the body bucks were sculpted in clay just as the designers in Detroit used to build prototype car bodies. He then pulled a mold and built fiberglass bodies. Chuck built 100 go karts in 1971 using the bug zinger body. He still owns the mold to this day.

When I built my clones my pal @guffey who is a genius and the master of finding things, found me a dune buggy go kart body that was the same kind Mr Tansy used, I am friends with Chuck and he made me a bug body from the original mold

enloe, guffey, Okie Pete and 14 others like this.
  11. Okay, I'm showing my ignorance on these "Zingers", I vaguely remember the model kits, but they came after I was done building models.

Are the ones shown 1/2 or 1/43 scale but with full scale engines, tires, and wheels, and the engines apparently with no internals?

12. Mark, I think I have one of the 100 Bug Bodies. It's an NOS one.

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

1/2 scale bodies, real engines with no guts in em....

enloe, Okie Pete, Deuces and 7 others like this.
  14. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

would love to have 57,or vette body to haul on trailer. I guess i want to much
    And many thanks for info.

Ron Funkhouser and scotty t like this.
  15. I remember going to the back lot of Jim Brucker's "Movieland Cars of The stars" many years ago and seeing what appeared to be some Zinger type cars. The real treat was that while speaking with Jim Brucker, Von Dutch came out of his school bus, which was on the back lot, and came over to speak with Jim. It was a great experience.

16. belair

belair

This thread just makes me happy I like cars. We live in a great world.

17. The dragster was for sale at the Pate swap meet in Tx. some 20-30 years ago.Cant remember how much but I couldnt afford it.

chryslerfan55 and Moriarity like this.
  18. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Chuck Miller recently cloned the Zinger Corvette. I think he has some others in the works.
    He also cloned the Red Baron.

1935streetrod and Moriarity like this.
  19. The Van The Van.......it's a Dodge.....

20. wvenfield

wvenfield

I saw this pic get posted elsewhere.

57 chevy.jpg

enloe, alanp561, Okie Pete and 4 others like this.
  21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I got a pm with that pic today too. I wonder who it is with the car????

Deuces, chevy57dude and VANDENPLAS like this.
  22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Photo showed up on a Tri Five Chevy FB page yesterday. Was going to mention @Moriarity currently owns it but decided against doing so.

Deuces likes this.
  23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

go ahead and mention it, I wouldn't mind talking to a former owner. If anyone responds I can PM you my email address

24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

If it comes back up again. Not going to search for it.

25. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Just tell everyone it's you!

wvenfield likes this.
  26. ... The Corvette and the Van along with the Red Baron were in SE Michigan last summer when they inducted Chuck Miller into our historical museum's hall of fame ... corvette.jpg van.jpg red baron.jpg

enloe, Okie Pete, stanlow69 and 7 others like this.
  27. I am fairly ignorant on the topic, but there are usually some on display at autorama in Detroit. I haven’t been for a couple of years though.

Deuces likes this.
  28. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Were those zinger cars all offered as plastic models by Revel or something? I think in those days I was freezing my butt off in upstate New York, snowed in and building little plastic models over the winter.

I built just a few wacky looking plastic models back in 1965, like The Wacky Woodie and other normal stuff like Tommy Ivo’s car and some little red Ferrari. A car called The T-Bug

Anyhow I just started me wondering, how many different cars went from reality to plastic models?

. . . and if any cars went the other way? From the child’s plastic model to reality?

I don’t know that much about car models, because mostly I built wooden model airplanes when I was a kid.

I thought it would be amazing if someone had built a life-size Wacky Woodie

chryslerfan55 likes this.